Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early pension release?

Options
  • 29-07-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have worked for a decade in a multi-national that closed down / moved on. During my time there I built up a reasonable pension with AVCs etc. I’m wondering if it is at all possible to realize (/cash in) some or all of this money before I am 50 (barring the obvious exceptions of serious health issues etc.) Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Generally after the first two years this is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SaraM50

this is actually an old job, about 7 years ago... does that make a difference?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No.

If you leave a pension within two years of joining it in a lot of companies, you can get YOUR contributions back.

That stops after two years of contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can cash in up to 30% of your AVC but you will pay your current marginal (top) rate of tax on any withdrawal.

coylemj wrote: »
    You can cash in up to 30% of your AVC but you will pay your current marginal (top) rate of tax on any withdrawal.

When did that come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stheno wrote: »
    When did that come in?

The budget before last.

Advertisement