Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being brushed off after positive interview

Options
  • 29-07-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had a job interview a month ago and it was very positive. I was never outright told that I had the job, but the interviewer kept talking as if I did and was making plans about about me meeting other staff and getting the process moving because they wanted this position filled soon.

The interviewer wanted to meet me again the next week for a tour of the buildings, but when I contacted her she said she was too busy and that she would get back to me to organise another time. She contacted me a few days later and said that her superior wanted to interview me also, she gave me a task to prepare for the interview and said she would contact me with a meeting time within a few days.
    By the next week I hadn't heard anything so I emailed her. I waited two days for a reply before deciding to ring her, she brushed me off, said she had been too busy and that she would contact me in a couple of days with a meeting time. That was a week ago and I still haven't heard from her.

I don't really know how to proceed. I'm just out of college and I don't have much experience with job hunting so I don't know if this happens a lot but it seems really unprofessional. My family want me to keep after them, but I feel like if they were interested in hiring me they wouldn't be treating me like this. This interviewer keeps saying she's busy but it would take 30 seconds to send an email to keep me updated.
    At this point even if they did get back to me about a second interview, I'd be really tempted to refuse, but maybe that's just me being stupid and proud, I don't know.

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? I'd really appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

unsure789 wrote: »
    I had a job interview a month ago and it was very positive. I was never outright told that I had the job, but the interviewer kept talking as if I did and was making plans about about me meeting other staff and getting the process moving because they wanted this position filled soon.

The interviewer wanted to meet me again the next week for a tour of the buildings, but when I contacted her she said she was too busy and that she would get back to me to organise another time. She contacted me a few days later and said that her superior wanted to interview me also, she gave me a task to prepare for the interview and said she would contact me with a meeting time within a few days.
    By the next week I hadn't heard anything so I emailed her. I waited two days for a reply before deciding to ring her, she brushed me off, said she had been too busy and that she would contact me in a couple of days with a meeting time. That was a week ago and I still haven't heard from her.

I don't really know how to proceed. I'm just out of college and I don't have much experience with job hunting so I don't know if this happens a lot but it seems really unprofessional. My family want me to keep after them, but I feel like if they were interested in hiring me they wouldn't be treating me like this. This interviewer keeps saying she's busy but it would take 30 seconds to send an email to keep me updated.
    At this point even if they did get back to me about a second interview, I'd be really tempted to refuse, but maybe that's just me being stupid and proud, I don't know.

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? I'd really appreciate some advice.

Play it cool..
    Something may have come up and shes really busy.. Or someone else could have got the job..

I'd say wait and see, maybe in a few days email and say that you appreciate that business is busy and to keep you in mind when they are back to filling the position again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Remember too that while this job interview is at the top of your mind, in a busy company it will just be one item in a number of things the interviewer is dealing with. Priorities might have changed. I wouldn't hassle them but as -Brian says, no harm in sending polite email. I worked in hr for many years and sometimes a job that had to be urgently filled suddenly got sent down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

worked in hr for many years and sometimes a job that had to be urgently filled suddenly got sent down the line.
    I don't think that's the case, they would be in violation of certain rules if they didn't have someone in the position I was interviewed for, they would also need someone to start now or within the next week or two.

I work in an area where you have to plan your work weeks in advance, so I find it hard to believe that they would be that busy unexpectedly. Its just so rude that they would have me doing work for them and scheduling trips to this place (they know I live several hours away) but they wont even reply to me.
    I've sent them emails, they just ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

she gave me a task to prepare for the interview and said she would contact me with a meeting time within a few days.
    A week is a couple of days.
    I don't think that's the case, they would be in violation of certain rules if they didn't have someone in the position I was interviewed for, they would also need someone to start now or within the next week or two.
    If as serious as you say, would there not be a temp in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the_syco wrote: »
    A week is a couple of days.
    I was kind of cutting a long story short there, she contacted me on a Tuesday with the task and told me a date that I would have this second interview on and that she could contact me before Thursday to confirm a time. I didn't hear so the next Monday I emailed her, when on the day before this supposed interview date I still had no word I rang her. When I talked to her she again gave me a specific day that I would be contacted by, and nothing.
    If as serious as you say, would there not be a temp in place?
    The person currently in the job is due to leave in mid August, I was told they wanted someone to start before this person left so they could trained.

• Advertisement
Advertisement