Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear and Tear

Options
  • 29-07-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

I'm due to move out of an apartment I've lived in for the past 5 and a half years.

Over the time I haven't bothered really with getting the landlord involved too much if I felt like things needed repairing etc.

I was just wondering what would be deemed reasonable for wear and tear in a tenancy lasting over 5 years.

It wouldn't be anything major -

The whole apartment would need painting before it was rented again.

There's one or two stains on the couch, the cushions come off so they might be easy enough to remove.. although otherwise a new couch would be probably needed.

One of the chairs (set of 6) from the dining table has broken.

A couple door handles have come loose and probably need replacing.

Dishwasher has broken, I've let landlord know and it was to be replaced but she hasn't as yet (2 months now). This is the same with the fan above the oven and the fire (electric) at the fireplace.

The light in the fridge blew a couple years ago, the fridge still works but the light doesn't seem replacable. I've tried a number of bulbs and let landlord know but said as it worked it wasn't a major concern.

The oven itself is also pretty manky, probably hasn't ever been cleaned proper :eek:.

I've shared with a number of people (the problems mainly caused by them) over the years but on a sublet basis, where I was responsible for collecting their rent in order to then pay the landlord.

I've been a pretty good tenant and have replaced window handles etc but wondering what I would be responsible for now, the Landlord seems to wish to hold the deposit (there's 3 of us who'll be waiting for it back, 2 of whom gave deposit to me which I then gave to the departing tenants - anyone know who's responsible here, can these tenants come after me for their deposit?)

Thanks (I know I sound probably like a terrible tenant but it's all pretty minor things that have just built up!)

:(

Reason for us moving out is an increase in rent by €250. If we were to agree on that could we insist on all this being sorted first, as in if it was a new lease / letting?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

PopTarts wrote: »
    I'm due to move out of an apartment I've lived in for the past 5 and a half years.

Over the time I haven't bothered really with getting the landlord involved too much if I felt like things needed repairing etc.

I was just wondering what would be deemed reasonable for wear and tear in a tenancy lasting over 5 years.

It wouldn't be anything major -

The whole apartment would need painting before it was rented again. (ok)

There's one or two stains on the couch, the cushions come off so they might be easy enough to remove.. although otherwise a new couch would be probably needed.

One of the chairs (set of 6) from the dining table has broken.

A couple door handles have come loose and probably need replacing.

Dishwasher has broken, I've let landlord know and it was to be replaced but she hasn't as yet (2 months now). This is the same with the fan above the oven and the fire (electric) at the fireplace.

The light in the fridge blew a couple years ago, the fridge still works but the light doesn't seem replacable. I've tried a number of bulbs and let landlord know but said as it worked it wasn't a major concern.

The oven itself is also pretty manky, probably hasn't ever been cleaned proper :eek:.

I've shared with a number of people (the problems mainly caused by them) over the years but on a sublet basis, where I was responsible for collecting their rent in order to then pay the landlord.

I've been a pretty good tenant and have replaced window handles etc but wondering what I would be responsible for now, the Landlord seems to wish to hold the deposit (there's 3 of us who'll be waiting for it back, 2 of whom gave deposit to me which I then gave to the departing tenants - anyone know who's responsible here, can these tenants come after me for their deposit?)

Thanks (I know I sound probably like a terrible tenant but it's all pretty minor things that have just built up!)

:(

Reason for us moving out is an increase in rent by €250. If we were to agree on that could we insist on all this being sorted first, as in if it was a new lease / letting?

The oven/stains on the furniture, and broken chair would all be up to you I would think. Have you really not cleaned the oven properly for FIVE years? As for the rest of it, painting should be covered by the landlord, they might want to get cleaners in though if the place is not clean.

If the broken items were broken due to misuse then that's also down to you.

Not sure about the door handles, how did they come loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Stheno wrote: »
    The oven/stains on the furniture, and broken chair would all be up to you I would think. Have you really not cleaned the oven properly for FIVE years? As for the rest of it, painting should be covered by the landlord, they might want to get cleaners in though if the place is not clean.

If the broken items were broken due to misuse then that's also down to you.

Not sure about the door handles, how did they come loose?

I wouldn't really use the oven, I'd keep the cooker itself clean and give it a general clean. It probably needs a good scrub though.

The table chair is quite old, no idea how it broke, well someone sat on it and it gave way under them. Could this be just damage from age or anything else?

I know the stains on the couch aren't ideal and were caused by us (spillages) but is that not considered wear and tear? They'll probably come out in the wash but I don't know to be hit for a full sofa cost because of this.

The fan never really worked and was to be repaired but again I wasn't too bothered about it, didn't want to hassle landlord.

The electric fire just blew one evening and I can't get it working, have checked fuse etc, the wiring looks damaged.

The Dishwasher is probably just age and that would be replaced by landlord in normal circumstances I presume?

Can the landlord then chase for anything in excess of deposit?

Door handles probably just from people letting doors bang.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The oven being dirty is clearly on you. The rest of it is debatable. Five and a half years is a long time, if a landlord expects to get a sofa back immaculately clean after that time for example then they have inflated expectations IMO.

I'm assuming the door handles are just typical crappy finishings that come loose over time - are you sure they need replaced and not just re-tightened?

What sort of table and chair are you talking about here? Are you talking about solid wood stuff or a cheap set?

Dishwashers break - wouldn't pay for that unless you were doing something stupid to break it. Electric heaters break. I don't see how you can misuse a fan or a fridge bulb so definitely wouldn't be paying for those either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Buy a can of decent oven cleaner and put a couple of hours of effort into cleaning it. It should come out in decent condition.

If you stained the sofa you bear responsibility for trying to deal with the stain. The fact that you say "they might come out in the wash" says a lot. Again, this is something that a small amount of money and some effort could have solved.

None of the failed appliances are your responsibility unless there's signs of misuse.

When you move out of a place put a serious effort into cleaning it from top to bottom and you'll remove most of the typical arguments for deposit retention.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are the other five dining table chairs still intact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

It does sound just a bit like you can't be very bothered to clean the place really. I understand to an extent that you have to weigh up how much effort you put in for how much deposit you might get back but really although cleaning an oven is unpleasant its not especially difficult and loose door handles probably just need the attention of a screwdriver. If you are all moving out I presume you would turn the fridge off so the broken light wouldn't be obvious (I'd say that's down to wear and tear anyway). If you can't clean the sofa I'd suggest a cheap throw from Penny's or Ikea.

If the deposit amount that is at stake between you all is substantial maybe it would be worth paying someone to clean and getting receipts for the work done (and also take photos).

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Sorry op for hijacking your thread. I'm in a similar boat and have been living in the same house for the last 6 years and am considering moving on. The thing that worries me the most is they house has cream carpets and over the years stains have appeared. I don't know why they put cream carpets down, must have been the cheapest option available.

What can be considered as wear and tear on cream carpets. I never understand why landlords choose these colours especially when they are hard to keep clean.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

madfcuker wrote: »
    Sorry op for hijacking your thread. I'm in a similar boat and have been living in the same house for the last 6 years and am considering moving on. The thing that worries me the most is they house has cream carpets and over the years stains have appeared. I don't know why they put cream carpets down, must have been the cheapest option available.

What can be considered as wear and tear on cream carpets. I never understand why landlords choose these colours especially when they are hard to keep clean.

I imagine that a cream carpet wouldn't be expected to be spotless everywhere. It's also at least 6 years old so may be due replacement anyway.

Carpets get dirty and damaged over time - it's unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Regarding the door handles- can we assume they are still on the doors or close by? I've come across situations where stuff comes loose ( not the tenant's fault) but then they don't tell anyone and proceed to lose them - or damage the door doing a botched diy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dealz have an oven cleaner in an orange box for €1.49 and it's the business. It's a copy of one the Supermarkets have that retails around €8. You get a bag to clean the racks and you put the rest of the gel in the oven. Best and easiest to use product by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

madfcuker wrote: »

Depends on the quality of the carpet. If it was me I'd be getting one of the rug doctors and using it. Excellent results with it. There's cream carpets in my parents house, they're cleaned every two years or so.

I never understood it either. Tiles are best for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Depends on the quality of the carpet. If it was me I'd be getting one of the rug doctors and using it. Excellent results with it. There's cream carpets in my parents house, they're cleaned every two years or so.

I never understood it either. Tiles are best for this reason.

I plan on cleaning them myself but they will not be spot less. We have had radiators leak on them and a few other spillages. You can even see the walking line in that room.

Wooden floors is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maviscruet

Myself, husband and big dog living in rental house with cream carpets (crazy choice). We take our shoes off when we come in but sadly cannot detach feet from said big dog. So the carpets need to be cleaned. Down to us or landlord? Its ok either way. Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

maviscruet wrote: »
    Myself, husband and big dog living in rental house with cream carpets (crazy choice). We take our shoes off when we come in but sadly cannot detach feet from said big dog. So the carpets need to be cleaned. Down to us or landlord? Its ok either way. Just wondering.
    That is most definitely down to you. Wear and tear is something that happens despite good care by occupants. Your dog is clearly the cause of the soiling so you should pay for the cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maviscruet

Yea thought so. Just wondering on legal position on who does what as regards wear and tear. No problem getting them cleaned. Got lots of things done to house and garden ourselves anyhow. With landlord permission of course. But things we wanted to do, so we paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP as a LL I can tell you that what you describe is pretty much what I expect to see after 5 years. I have to paint properties after every tenant moves out, couches/carpets etc get stained in the house I live in so I wouldn't expect any less in a rented house. White goods break and need to be replaced every couple of years, the stuff I have in rented properties is not the same as I have in my home, when a tenant phones me and says the dish washer/fridge is broken, I don't bother fixing them, it's cheaper to buy new ones. Age is not a factor in the chair, quality is but that item is debatable, I probably would hold on to a few quid for that because I'd have to get a new chair.

The way I would see it, you would have to pay for a professional cleaner to sort out the oven, clean the place, shampoo the carpets and sofas, plus a few quid for the chair. Everything else would be my responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

my guess is if you want a good reference, and to get your full deposit back, do the cleaning yourself. I wash the net curtains, the curtains, clean the cupboards, scrub the bathroom and kitchen tiles, etc before I leave a rented property...:-)just shows respect. plus the landlord will appreciate it :-) think of it as your place that your getting back from it being rented. would you want it back with half broken and stained bits and bobs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

athtrasna wrote: »
    Dealz have an oven cleaner in an orange box for €1.49 and it's the business.

Gone into my memory bank!

Advertisement