Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

the_monkey wrote: »
    Sam Harris sums it up for me really :

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/why-dont-i-criticize-israel

Allthough I think Israel are a little extreme in this case .

It's funny though the Pro Palestine people - they won't condemn the actions of ISIS ...

I'll condemn the actions of ISIS, Hamas, Boko Harem and any other bunch of murdering ***** who think it's ok to blow the **** out of/shoot/behead innocent men, women and children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's funny though the Pro Palestine people - they won't condemn the actions of ISIS ...

Utterly mind numbing how much this bollocks talk comes up.

Mind numbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What crap are you on about? ISIS now IS are an evil deluded bunch, akin to any crazy religious group. They've twisted the Koran to suit their deluded goal. I highly doubt any pro-Palestinian would support or defend IS.
    "I think Israel are a little extreme in this case" ah yeah over 300 children murdered is only a little extreme there buddy. Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chicken foot

I am 100% behind the Palestinians and I am 100% against ISIS, why? Because its apples & oranges, the only similarity is that they're both fruit, or in this case, Muslims!

Did you see their list of "demands" at the last round of talks ffs - extended fishing rights, un patrolled border crossings, their own airport - how very "terrorist" of them!!!

If you want an accurate comparison then you compare Hamas to the IRA. Hamas do not act outside of the occupying Israel, their sole aim is to get freedom for Palestine. Sure even ISIS are calling Hamas wimps for trying to sort their problems democratically ffs. A ridiculous comment and a ridiculous article!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I am sure the right minded people on this thread who support the innocent, unarmed, non combatant Palestinian civilians who are being slaughtered by Israel/IDF would also condemn ISIS. This thread however is about the Israel - Palestine conflict, which is why you don't see a lot of ISIS condemnation, as ISIS has played no part so far in the Israel - Palestinian conflict.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

It's funny though, the pro-Zionist people, they won't condemn Mongolian satanic zoophilia or abuse of disabled parking spaces in Botswana.
    Maybe because they have fcuk all to do with the topic of this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I see quite a few people making every excuse under the sun for the IDF slaughter including the one your using now. It amazing that so many people will use the slaughter carried out by ISIS, to defend the one carried out by the IDF.

Doesn't look like the next batch of IDF recruits will be any better than the current

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/08/watch-israeli-western.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Pathetic article from Sam Harris which show an obvious lack of understanding on the conflict.
    Sam Harris wrote:
    What would the Jews do to the Palestinians if they could do anything they wanted? Well, we know the answer to that question, because they can do more or less anything they want. The Israeli army could kill everyone in Gaza tomorrow. So what does that mean? Well, it means that, when they drop a bomb on a beach and kill four Palestinian children, as happened last week, this is almost certainly an accident. They’re not targeting children. They could target as many children as they want. Every time a Palestinian child dies, Israel edges ever closer to becoming an international pariah. So the Israelis take great pains not to kill children and other noncombatants.

What do we know of the Palestinians? What would the Palestinians do to the Jews in Israel if the power imbalance were reversed? Well, they have told us what they would do. For some reason, Israel’s critics just don’t want to believe the worst about a group like Hamas, even when it declares the worst of itself.

There is only one genocide occurring at the moment and Sam unfortunately is too blind to see that Israel are conducting one and have been conducting one for sometime now. Do Israel shout about what they are doing? Of course not as they understand that the international community would have to intervene if they made their aims explicit by formally announcing ethnic cleansing or genocide. No, Israel needs to maintain an air of acceptability to their actions so they go about their business quietly with the minimum of fuss, a settlement here or there, secretly sabotage any peace talks, an incursion to defend itself every couple of years etc etc.

Hamas explicitly state their genocidal intentions in their charter but they do that in response to the genocide been carried out against them. They are merely telling Israel that they will do to it what is already being done to the Palestinians. For most sane people that makes some kind of sense. If the Jews in WW2 formed a resistance with one of its aims the extermination of the Germans then I think we would see that it is an understandable reaction to the atrocities being committed against them. That doesnt mean we condone it or support it but only that in the context of what is happening that it makes sense.

Hamas and all the other genocidal Jihadist groups in Gaza and the West Bank only exist as a consequence of Israeli actions over a number of decades. Had the Zionist issue been resolved in a more appropriate manner then i dont think any Palestinians would be calling for genocide. For heavens sake Christians and Jews lived side by side with Muslims in the region in peace for hundreds of years before the Zionists arrived. Muslims are only hostile to Jews because of the Zionist Israeli issue. It is the main source of any antisemitism, holocaust denial that occurs in the Muslim world. Israel has created a situation that perpetuated what Jews were trying to escape in Europe through their actions in Palestine.

So no Sam, you cant look at the situation that simplistically and you can't judge groups on what they say or have said but on what they do now to achieve peace. Hamas have offered a 10 year ceasefire if Israel just withdraws within the 1967 borders in accordance with international law. That doesnt sound like a compromise that a homicidal genocidal group would make if their sole intention was only to wipe out the Jews. However one side wont accept the rule of law and continues its slaughter and land grab but for some reason we dont accuse them of genocide just because they didnt enshrine it in their constitution. Laughable.

Playboy wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Sam Harris
    They could target as many children as they want. Every time a Palestinian child dies, Israel edges ever closer to becoming an international pariah. So the Israelis take great pains not to kill children and other noncombatants.
    Quite telling that he doesn't say the Israelis don't kill children because it's just the wrong thing to do. He's admitting any "restraint" is all about PR but he's too thick to even notice that's what he's saying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Vandango wrote: »
    So it's permissible to defend an unlawful blockade?....And the victim blaming continues.

Last I checked, Israel was effectively in a state of armed conflict with Gaza. The blockade may be unfair, it may be excessive, it may be a political liability.... but it's legal and has been for centuries. A truce simply means you stop attacking each other, it doesn't mean that holes must appear in the lines.
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    There's no "permissable reponse" for going about your internationally agreed legal business. Your veneer of objectivity is well and truly debunked at this stage.

If you don't understand the mechanisms of warfare and the legal framework surrounding it, I can't help you.

Fishing boat breaks blockade, naval forces intercept, fire warning shots, fishing boat goes home, nobody killed. That's the way it's supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

wes wrote: »
    I see quite a few people making every excuse under the sun for the IDF slaughter including the one your using now. It amazing that so many people will use the slaughter carried out by ISIS, to defend the one carried out by the IDF.

The only other difference is that ISIS will be bombed, and roundly condemned by the US, whilst Israel will be allowed to continue its murder campaign, without hindrance. There is no oil in Gaza, I guess.

If you don't understand the mechanisms of warfare and the legal framework surrounding it, I can't help you.

Fishing boat breaks blockade, naval forces intercept, fire warning shots, fishing boat goes home, nobody killed. That's the way it's supposed to work.

What I dont understand is how Israel is taking a pick and choose approach to the mechanisms of warfare! Is targeting UN Refugee Centres & Hospitals included somewhere in this legal framework? The blatant targeting of civillians?

You see, we can all take aspects of Israels bombardment on Gaza and do exactly what you have done above which is to defend their actions and claim that they abided by the rules but the problem is bigger than that, the problem isnt just a once off attack on a fcuking fishing boat(!!!!!!) that strayed too far from land, the problem is the huge litany of war crimes that Israel has made during this whole attack!!! This isnt namby pamby nit picking, this is highlighting once again, ANOTHER item in the long list of barbaric acts carried out by Israel!!

As for saying "it may be" this and "it may be" that - say it, there is not bloody "maybe" about it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Liberman calls for spurning of UN human rights probe:

"Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said on Wednesday that Israel should not cooperate with the UN Human Rights Council probe into the conflict in Gaza, and threatened the lives of top Hamas leaders if the terror group doesn’t return the bodies of two IDF soldiers who were killed in the fighting."

"Speaking while on a tour of southern Israel, the hard-line minister decried the investigative panel to be led by Prof. William Schabas, and urged that Israel not participate in its activities to avoid giving it any form of approval."
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/liberman-calls-for-spurning-of-un-human-rights-probe/

the weasel. Apartheid Israeli government really are a "law" unto themselves. the excuse makers. if they have nothing to hide then cooperate with the world. unless...

Has there ever been a case where a UN probe has been called for so early in the conflict? Im not familiar with any so I am hoping it means that they know(and agree) that Israel is guilty as sin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No offense to Ms Baker, but she does understand the concept of a blockade and the permissible responses to a break of it, right? Especially when they're warning shots, which they appear to have been.
    or maybe as its an illegitimate blockade, she's not interested in the excuses from israel? just a thought

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Last I checked, Israel was effectively in a state of armed conflict with Gaza. The blockade may be unfair, it may be excessive, it may be a political liability.... but it's legal and has been for centuries. A truce simply means you stop attacking each other, it doesn't mean that holes must appear in the lines.

Legal in whose eyes - the Israelis? A Fact-Finding Mission for the UN Human Rights Council chaired by a former judge of the International Criminal Court, as well as a panel of five independent U.N. rights experts concluded that the blockade constituted collective punishment of the population of Gaza and was therefore unlawful. UN envoy Desmond Tutu, United Nations Human Rights Council head Navi Pillay, the International Committee of the Red Cross and some experts on international law consider the blockade illegal.

really? thats news to me, all though i should imagine as isis has nothing to do with this thread and there are threads on isis the condemnation will be saved for the relevant threads

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

How one Israeli celebrates what's happened/happening in Gaza

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bu6EBbrCEAATf88.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Now that you mention it, I've yet to see any of the pro-Israel people condemn the actions of Kim Jong-un

Add another few innocent lives lost to the Israeli death machine

http://news.sky.com/story/1318010/journalist-killed-in-gaza-missile-blast
    An Italian journalist was among five people killed when an unexploded missile detonated in northern Gaza.

The blast, in Beit Lahiya, happened as bomb squad officers attempted to dismantle the device on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

WakeUp wrote: »
    Liberman calls for spurning of UN human rights probe:

"Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said on Wednesday that Israel should not cooperate with the UN Human Rights Council probe into the conflict in Gaza, and threatened the lives of top Hamas leaders if the terror group doesn’t return the bodies of two IDF soldiers who were killed in the fighting."

"Speaking while on a tour of southern Israel, the hard-line minister decried the investigative panel to be led by Prof. William Schabas, and urged that Israel not participate in its activities to avoid giving it any form of approval."
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/liberman-calls-for-spurning-of-un-human-rights-probe/

the weasel. Apartheid Israeli government really are a "law" unto themselves. the excuse makers. if they have nothing to hide then cooperate with the world. unless...

Does Israel recognize anything legitimate? Then again, that would mean rules, laws and other things, that should hinder it's murder campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

bumper234 wrote: »
    Add another few innocent lives lost to the Israeli death machine

http://news.sky.com/story/1318010/journalist-killed-in-gaza-missile-blast

You mean Hamas recklessly tried to dismantle a dud missile without taking proper safety precautions. Any responsible bomb disposal experts would have put up a cordon around their activity to minimise casualties in case something went wrong but Hamas don't give a crap about "collateral damage" so they let a reporter, his cameraman and fixer watch while they work on a missile. Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You mean Hamas recklessly tried to dismantle a dud missile without taking proper safety precautions. Any responsible bomb disposal experts would have put up a cordon around their activity to minimise casualties in case something went wrong but Hamas don't give a crap about "collateral damage" so they let a reporter, his cameraman and fixer watch while they work on a missile. Crazy.

They must have missed the annual Hamas training day for bomb disposal expertise

Now that you mention it, I've yet to see any of the pro-Israel people condemn the actions of Kim Jong-un

Huh? Kim Jong-un has nothing to do with this subject. Oh except for supplying weapons to Hamas and training them in how to build better tunnels that is.

• Advertisement

Yeah they should have just left it there and hoped it didn't go off. i wonder what Palestinian college they got their bomb disposal degree in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The IDF, on the other hand, being moral and responsible, just lob actual viable missiles into civillian areas.

Please.

Huh? Kim Jong-un has nothing to do with this subject. Oh except for supplying weapons to Hamas and training them in how to build better tunnels that is.

Isis have nothing to do with it either. Yet somehow they keep getting brought up as some kind of evidence that Pro Palestine is pro terrorism. By that same logic I am equating pro-Israel to pro North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

The Jews that used tunnels for food and weapons in the Warsaw ghettos were described as heroes standing up to their oppressors. How do they differ from Palestinians today and their use of tunnels?

these weren't hamas, this was during the IDF rape and murder campain

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Health and Safety innit?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Does Israel recognize anything legitimate? Then again, that would mean rules, laws and other things, that should hinder it's murder campaign.
    but but, israel is special, because people from the religion of the country were murdered in mass many years ago, of course disabled, gay, and anyone who didn't fit the idea of perfection were also murdered yet the israely isis like governments will never realize it wasn't just jews who were killed

LOL sure of course they should have called the Bomb Disposal Team, arent they just around the corner near the Government buildings, right next to army headquar....oh wait, sorry, this is Palestine we are talking about, you know, that tiny little over populated strip with absolutely feck all to call their own and even less to call their own since the Moral Army that is the IDF blew the place to bits over a month long bombardment that killed thousands and rendered hundreds of thousands homeless!! These people have NOTHING! Why can you not get that into your head??

That is the closest modern day equiviliant I have heard yet to the famous "let them eat cake!"

I think if auld Kim was spotted walking down Gaza main street it would'a made the news.

Well hammered back where it came from by others at this stage, but there are no legal mechanisms for enforcing an illegal blockade. There is no possible way "it's supposed to work".

Any responsible bomb disposal experts would have put up a cordon around their activity to minimise casualties
    Oh, like the way the IDF ban all reporters from being anywhere near their operations, and will shoot at them if the don't comply, "for their own safety"?

Yeah they should have just left it there and hoped it didn't go off. i wonder what Palestinian college they got their bomb disposal degree in?

I didn't say that but don't let the facts get in the way of your bias. Hamas operatives are well trained in how to put together bombs and rockets, there's no reason to think that a number of them haven't been trained in bomb disposal techniques, most likely by Iran, Syria or their other allies. Some of you lot seem to have very strange ideas about Hamas, like they are just some kind of enthusiastic amateurs or something. Hamas operatives in some cases train for years, they seem to have reasonable expertise in various areas yet some of you lot like to portray them as plucky losers having a go, they shouldn't be underestimated.

But they should have taken precautions to make sure that no-one outside of the bomb disposal team got injured but they simply don't care if non-Hamas people are killed.

I didn't say that but don't let the facts get in the way of your bias. Hamas operatives are well trained in how to put together bombs and rockets, there's no reason to think that a number of them haven't been trained in bomb disposal techniques, most likely by Iran, Syria or their other allies. Some of you lot seem to have very strange ideas about Hamas, like they are just some kind of enthusiastic amateurs or something. Hamas operatives in some cases train for years, they seem to have reasonable expertise in various areas yet some of you lot like to portray them as plucky losers having a go, they shouldn't be underestimated.
    Yes, compared to Israel with their free US hardware and ammunition resupplies and their illegal nuclear arsenal, Hamas and the AK47s and home made rockets are really a force to be reckoned with. No wonder everybody's cheering for the baby killing IDF underdogs.

But they should have taken precautions to make sure that no-one outside of the bomb disposal team got injured but they simply don't care if non-Hamas people are killed.
    just like the IDF don't care about civilians, even some of their own who might be the "rong" type of jew

The blockade may be unfair, it may be excessive, it may be a political liability.... but it's legal and has been for centuries.
    Laughable.
    You've descended from deliberate misdirection to utter lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Don't know if anyone posted this yet, it looks pretty real to me and pretty damning, if its IDF soliders in Gaza. Maybe our resident army dude MM can verify from uniforms weaponry etc... on the zoom in.

Edit Google maps showing Al Khalil in Hebron, in the West bank, not Gaza as I previously thought

Don't know if anyone posted this yet, it looks pretty real to me and pretty damning, if its IDF soliders in Gaza. Maybe our resident army dude MM can verify from uniforms weaponry etc... on the zoom in.
    No doubt he will also tell us why it is justified and legal under international law.

Edit Google maps showing Al Khalil in Hebron, in the West bank, not Gaza as I previously thought
    Hang on, the pro-Zionist have been waffling on about Israel loving peace and how wonderful things would be if Hamas would just stop their pesky defending "their land" from Israeli invasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

"Ayyash said Israeli naval forces had been preventing fishermen from fishing in the area, even within the "authorized fishing zone."

So how did it break the blockade when they were fishing in an authorized zone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just seen this on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/2dcevu/israel_to_allow_gay_jews_to_immigrate_with/
    Israel To Allow Gay Jews To Immigrate With Non-Jewish Same-Sex Spouses

It's been touted as a sign of how tolerant and progressive Israel is, and all the comments that point out how it's actually just as backward as not allowing gay people to immigrate are being downvoted into oblivion.

I mean they won't allow gay jewish couples into Israel ffs! They also don't allow for Jewish people to marry non-Jewish people inside of Israel

How anyone can claim that it's a secular, tolerant and progressive society is beyond me. They allow their mad beliefs dictate their laws just as much as their neighbors do.

It's been touted as a sign of how tolerant and progressive Israel is, and all the comments that point out how it's actually just as backward as not allowing gay people to immigrate are being downvoted into oblivion.
    Although their diplomatic crew coming out with ****e like saying anybody anti-Zionist has "problems with their sexual identity" doesn't say a whole heap about their LGBT credentials does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Just seen this on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/2dcevu/israel_to_allow_gay_jews_to_immigrate_with/

I mean they won't allow gay jewish couples into Israel ffs! They also don't allow for Jewish people to marry non-Jewish people inside of Israel

How anyone can claim that it's a secular, tolerant and progressive society is beyond me. They allow their mad beliefs dictate their laws just as much as their neighbors do.

What exactly does this have to do with the Israeli attacks on Palestine?

Anyway, I think you've completely misinterpreted the story.
    In a directive publicized Tuesday, Israeli Interior Minister Gideon Saar told immigration authorities not to differentiate between married gay and straight couples.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12/israel-gay-jews-immigration-_n_5671435.html

Israel has previously had a policy whereby a non-Jewish person could immigrate to Israel if they were married to a Jewish person who was also immigrating. However, in the past they only extended this right to straight married couples.

They have now changed this policy so that gay/lesbian married couples are now entitled to immigrate to Israel if one of the couple is Jewish.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Because Israel's supposed "Western-ness" has been used repeatedly in this thread to attempt to ascribe some sort of moral superiority compared to Palestine which is supposed to make us side with them for some reason.
    They have now changed this policy so that gay/lesbian married couples are now entitled to immigrate to Israel if one of the couple is Jewish.
    Phew. Now they're only racist and not homophobic. Progress, eh?

Anyway, I think you've completely misinterpreted the story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12/israel-gay-jews-immigration-_n_5671435.html

Israel has previously had a policy whereby a non-Jewish person could immigrate to Israel if they were married to a Jewish person who was also immigrating. However, in the past they only extended this right to straight married couples.

how lovely of them, their government and military is still no better then isis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Because Israel's supposed "Western-ness" has been used repeatedly in this thread to attempt to ascribe some sort of moral superiority compared to Palestine which is supposed to make us side with them for some reason.

Yeah.. pretty much that. When you hear those defending and justifying Israeli actions in Palestine by pointing out how backward Palestinians are; and claiming that Israel is a bastion of personal freedoms, equal human rights and democracy.. it should always be pointed out that it's bull**** of the highest order.

Advertisement