Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Haha I'm notoriously bad at detecting sarcasm over the internet ;) The use of the ;) :pac: and :rolleyes: smileys helps considerably :p
    Being on de mobile doesnt help!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

shedweller wrote: »
    Being on de mobile doesnt help!

Sorry i didnt notice you were being sarcastic

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    U know hating arabs or ethiopians is anti semetic cus theyre semites and a lot of palestinians are descended from jews who stayed in the roman palestine
    No bother lad. You make an interesting point here though. Isnt there an anti arab sentiment in israel? What with trying to get the Palestinians out and all. They dont really get on with arabs so could they themselves be accused of antisemitism?

shedweller wrote: »
    No bother lad. You make an interesting point here though. Isnt there an anti arab sentiment in israel? What with trying to get the Palestinians out and all. They dont really get on with arabs so could they themselves be accused of antisemitism?

Youre right they even disxriminate arab jews and ethiopian jews and anti zionist ultra orthodox jews aswell

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727660/Israeli-soldiers-demolish-homes-Palestinians-suspected-June-kidnapping-killing-three-teenagers-West-Bank.html
    Israeli troops today demolished the homes of two Palestinians it suspects of the abduction and killing of three teenagers in the occupied West Bank in June, the army said.

Troops set charges to destroy the homes of Hussam Kawasme and Amar Abu Aysha in the southern West Bank before dawn and sealed off the home of a third suspect, Marwan Kawasme.

Israel accuses Hamas Islamist militants of the abduction and killing of Jewish seminary students Gil-Ad Shaer, Naftali Fraenkel and Eyal Yifrah, who went missing on June 12 and were discovered dead a couple of weeks later in the West Bank.

Detonated: Smoke billows above the West Bank town of Hebron after Israeli troops destroyed the home of Hussam Kawasme, who is accused of kidnapping and killing three teenagers in June
    Perhaps someone could help me with the geography ?

The suspects were from West Bank / Hebron but 2,000 people have died in Gaza ?

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727660/Israeli-soldiers-demolish-homes-Palestinians-suspected-June-kidnapping-killing-three-teenagers-West-Bank.html Perhaps someone could help me with the geography ?

They shoukd destroy the homes of the people who killed that innocent palestinian child in a revenge attaxk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727660/Israeli-soldiers-demolish-homes-Palestinians-suspected-June-kidnapping-killing-three-teenagers-West-Bank.html Perhaps someone could help me with the geography ?

They were from Anyoulexcuseville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Netanyahu's response would probably be.... "West Bank, Schmest vank, Gaza, schmaza. Who cares, they're all Palestinians."

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Circular argument goes in circles . . . . . little by little the world stops caring . . . . advertising revenue for media outlets still running the story drops off . . . . . something else big & shiny needs to be found to renew our attention . . . . . everyone look over here at ISIS & the horror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Circular argument goes in circles

Circular argument? What are you on about? There is no 'circular' argument. The IDF's indiscriminate murder of civilians and its flagrant disregard for Human Rights and the Geneva Convention isn't a argument, it is a FACT!
    something else big & shiny needs to be found to renew our my attention

Fyp, you made the silly mistake of speaking on behalf of everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Saw this linked to elsewhere
    Photos Showing Similarities between Jewish and Palestinian Holocaust

Different conflict but there are still similarities between Jewish and Palestinian Holocaust . The Palestinian Holocaust has the all the hallmarks of previous holocausts; the long-term use of state terror including the dispossession of 90% of the land, forcing of over four million Palestinians into ghettos with a Nazi style encirclement, ethnic segregation and ethnic cleansing forcing some five million Palestinians to live in exile, the geographically constrained movement of Palestinians between Gaza and the West Bank, the continuous expansion of Jewish only settlements in the West Bank and the confiscation of Palestinian homes by Jews, the Jewish only roads and plethora of military check points and starving the people of Gaza. The ultimate aim is a “deliberate and systematic destruction” of the Palestinians as a national group.

Warning: Some graphic images below

http://www.eyeopening.info/2014/01/15/similarities-between-jewish-and-palestinian-holocaust/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chicken foot

Absolutely harrowing images! There can de no denying of what Israel is doing, I defy anyone to tell me otherwise! The filthy, sadistic, child murdering bastards!!! May we never forget what they have done, Long live Palestine and it's people! They have more courage, dignity and respect in their little fingers than the whole of Zionist Israel combined!

Circular argument? What are you on about? There is no 'circular' argument. The IDF's indiscriminate murder of civilians and its flagrant disregard for Human Rights and the Geneva Convention isn't a argument, it is a FACT!

Fyp, you made the silly mistake of speaking on behalf of everyone.
    You are right. It isn't a circular argument. It isn't even being argued in the mainstream media to any extent worth talking about, ie: an actual solution to the endless inhumane treatment of the Palestinians. Remember the powers that be are well able to invade countries to bring "peace" but seem alarmingly unable to do anything here, despite the flood of graphic images etc. online.
    israel are expanding yet again while something more interesting happens elsewhere and they know it.
    Hit the ****ers where it hurts and boycott their products as much as possible. Barcode number 729 i think it was? Thats a long term game i aim to play and so should all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

There is an app for that :)

I have an app on my phone called "buycott" which is a bar code scanner. during set up you pick what you what to boycott, Israel because of the Palestine issues, and then you scan the barcode of products and the app will alert you if the product in any way benefits the Israeli economy. It works really well.

There is an app for that :)

I have an app on my phone called "buycott" which is a bar code scanner. during set up you pick what you what to boycott, Israel because of the Palestine issues, and then you scan the barcode of products and the app will alert you if the product in any way benefits the Israeli economy. It works really well.

Whats it called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    Whats it called?

Buycott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hamas fire 3 rockets this morning, IDF resume strikes, cease-fire over, round and round we go.

Hamas fire 3 rockets this morning, IDF resume strikes, cease-fire over, round and round we go.

Where does it say Hamas fired them?

bumper234 wrote: »
    Where does it say Hamas fired them?
    It?

It?

Anywhere?

• Advertisement

Anywhere?

You're right, it was probably Canada.

I have not seen a report that states Hamas fired the rockets hence me asking where does it say that Hamas were the group that fired the rockets? It probably was them but then there are many other groups over there with access to rockets so i was asking if there is evidence of Hamas firing them.

The idiotic replies were not needed thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Anywhere?

Had a quick look, would appear they landed in a field, the israel army are the ones who say this.

I have not seen a report that states Hamas fired the rockets hence me asking where does it say that Hamas were the group that fired the rockets? It probably was them but then there are many other groups over there with access to rockets so i was asking if there is evidence of Hamas firing them.

The idiotic replies were not needed thanks.
    Totes soz xx

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

The BBC website states that:

"There was no immediate claim of responsibility from any of the Palestinian factions in Gaza, which is dominated by the Islamist movement Hamas. "

I think the question that was asked of you was where did you hear the report that Hamas had claimed responsibility.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Had a quick look, would appear they landed in a field, the israel army are the ones who say this.

Well if those bastions of truth and justice say it's true then who am i to argue? I'm sure Mark Regev will be along soon enough to confirm how it was all the terrorists fault making terror attacks from terror tunnels with their terror fireworks and teaching their terror kids how to be terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    The BBC website states that:

"There was no immediate claim of responsibility from any of the Palestinian factions in Gaza, which is dominated by the Islamist movement Hamas. "

I think the question that was asked of you was where did you hear the report that Hamas had claimed responsibility.

"This rocket attack on Beersheba is a grave and direction violation of the cease-fire," Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev said.

That pillar of truth Mark Regev is here though to illuminate the situation for us

eeepaulo wrote: »
    "This rocket attack on Beersheba is a grave and direction violation of the cease-fire," Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev said.

That pillar of truth Mark Regev is here though to illuminate the situation for us

Yes he is a very low tech android programmed to only spout the same drivel in a seemingly endless loop. Were there any human spokespersons for the Israeli government who could confirm their claim or more pertinently are there any humans in government in Israel?

On the subject of noted truth tellers here is an interview Hillary Clinton was 'summoned' to, in order to give her humanitarian take on Gaza amongst other things. It may be that people of her ilk are not actual lizards underneath but they sure are cold blooded.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/hillary-doctrine-one

• Advertisement

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.611250

3:48 P.M. Three rockets explode in open areas near Be'er Sheva in southern Israel. No rocket-alert sirens sounded. The Israeli army says rockets sirens were not sounded prior to the fire, since the rockets' trajectories led into open areas.

I suspect a hint of scepticism is being applied in that piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

On the subject of noted truth tellers here is an interview Hillary Clinton was 'summoned' to, in order to give her humanitarian take on Gaza amongst other things. It may be that people of her ilk are not actual lizards underneath but they sure are cold blooded.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/hillary-doctrine-one

Shameful whatever way you look at it. Innocent people are just collateral damage to cause of the greater good which just happens to be American capitalism and democracy. These people have lost touch with their humanity, its frightening that they wield so much power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Playboy wrote: »
    Shameful whatever way you look at it. Innocent people are just collateral damage to cause of the greater good which just happens to be American capitalism and democracy. These people have lost touch with their humanity, its frightening that they wield so much power.

I heard a story once upon a time. some say it's no more than a tall tale a fable that grew legs all of it's own and off it went .others say it's a myth a bedtime story to scare the children that got out of hand a really cruel unfunny joke. and others say it's true .apparently Barry droner in chief Obama , Hillarys dear leader, was once awarded the Nobel peace prize . crazy I know but some say it's true. for such Nobel deeds as drone striking a wedding party among others. how noble. the peacemaker. The peace maker and his cohorts in Washington have the power and influence to make a difference and actually do something here but they choose not too. because yes we can. yes we can.

It?

Duh, seriously? Surely you have the cop on to realise that when you make a pronouncement, you should be able to back up your claim. This is one thread where such nonsense is quickly exposed. When a poster asked you for the source of your claim, all you came back with was silly nonsense/spam. Which says a lot really.

Here is a YouTube video made by 'Jewish Voices for peace'. It's certainly nothing new to the vast majority of you but it's still worth posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58njT2oXfE

Like most videos on YouTube it attracted the attention of the usual dross.Here is one example

"FALSE. FALSE. FALSE. LEARN SOME HISTORY YOU STUPID COW. THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS 'PALESTINE'. IT WAS A NAME THE ROMANS HAD GIVEN THE LAND WHEN IT WAS CONQUERED CENTURIES AGO. THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS 'INDIGENOUS PALESTINIANS', THEY ARE EGYPTIAN & JORDANIAN LEFT OVERS YOU STUPID UNEDUCATED ****ING BITCH. 'PALESTINIAN' IS A COMPLETE FABRICATION TO CREATE CONFLICT WITH ISRAEL. GOOD ON YOU FOR HELPING SPREAD THE DISINFORMATION & CREATING FURTHER SUPPORT FOR JEW HATERS. SHAME ON YOU YOU IGNORANT ****WITS!!!!!"

Too much sugar in their diet?

Given the history of Ireland I would not expect to encounter many Irish people who were not familiar with the narratives of colonialists and their fear of an open media and this is why, I suspect, that there are not many on this thread who are so vapid as to accept the Israeli narrative. For those few who feel the need to demonise all Palestinians as Islamic fundamentalist terrorists with a thirst for pure Jewish blood you might be minded to visit this Facebook page and learn about some real life people (at the time of this post) living in Gaza who did not support Hamas.

https://www.facebook.com/GazaYBO.

Here is some background information on the above group
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jan/02/free-gaza-youth-manifesto-palestinian

Here is an animated book by an American Joe Sacco about his experience visiting the West Bank.

http://tinyurl.com/nv5gdf3

Perhaps learning about others might be the catalyst for change that is required for those who justify genocide to see that they themselves are just being manipulated by a vast and profitable war machine. The only real religion is one of Love and Compassion for all God's creatures and if you don't serve that interest then you must be serving something else!

• Advertisement

Source The daily star :

One of the fascinating dimensions of the battle between Israel and Palestine is how Israeli leaders and their American apologists keep changing their propaganda message aimed at generally ignorant Western audiences.

The core, but always evolving, message that Zionists keep sending out is that Palestinians who challenge Israel are part and parcel of a larger universe of frightening figures that espouse criminal values, and represent a direct, mortal threat to Israel and all Western civilization.The latest version of this fear-mongering campaign of lies and fantasy seeks to paint Hamas and others militant Palestinian resistance groups in Gaza as integral elements in the world of vicious actors and terrorists who are fighting in the name of Islam, such as the Salafist-takfiri extremists of the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), Al-Qaeda, or the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Most people in the United States or other Western lands who hear these messages lack the knowledge to understand that Israel’s accusations are bold and ridiculous lies. Yet these lies often strike a receptive chord among uninformed audiences that have only two images drilled into them year after year: Israel and Jews are threatened with death and extinction in the Middle East; and the region is full of rabid killers who want to kill Christians and Jews and turn the world into one big Islamic society that enslaves women and martyrs its children.

The problem with this latest twist of Zionist propaganda is that it tries to put into a single basket very different groups with totally unrelated inspirations, agendas and operating methods. It aims to tar Hamas, and also Hezbollah in Lebanon, with such extreme attributes that foreigners refuse to deal with them, and see them as part and parcel of that frightening body of ISIS and Al-Qaeda killers who claim to speak in the name of Islam and go around crucifying and cutting people’s heads off.

This strategy has actually worked for some time, as many Western powers have shunned dealing with Hamas or Hezbollah. Yet that pattern has started to break down in recent years, as foreign governments and civil society activists alike come to understand that groups like Hamas and Hezbollah essentially are locally anchored, state-based resistance groups that fight two battles at once: They seek to reverse what they say is the Israeli occupation, colonization and subjugation of their countries, and they seek to create a more efficient, less corrupt domestic governance system that responds to the needs of all its citizens. (On balance, they have done much better at fighting Israel than at generating better domestic governance).

Resisting and reversing Israeli actions forms the core of Hamas’ and Hezbollah’s strategies, therefore the Israeli spin masters try at all costs to prevent anyone abroad from seeing these Lebanese and Palestinian groups as having been born primarily to fight back against Israel’s excessive occupation and colonization. The easiest way to do this in the fact-light minds of many Western citizens and politicians is simply to associate Hamas and Hezbollah with Al-Qaeda, ISIS and the Taliban.

This strategy has started to wear thin and collapse in places because reasonable people in the world have repeatedly seen the overwhelming evidence of Israel’s violence and occasional criminal atrocities in Lebanon and Palestine. The many pictures of Lebanese and Palestinians simply protecting their lands from repeated Israeli attacks – including by attacking Israel with small rockets and as yet mostly harmless projectiles – have been coupled with the repeated Israeli destruction of thousands of Arab homes, as well as many schools, hospitals, power plants and other civilian facilities.

More and more governments and observers around the world have realized that Hamas and Hezbollah have nothing to do with Al-Qaeda or ISIS, whose agendas reflect bizarre religious fantasies rather than state-based resistance goals. We started to see this rejection of Israeli propaganda over a year ago when Americans and Europeans ignored the wild scare tactics of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and went ahead with negotiations with Iran on nuclear and sanctions issues.

The Western ability to ignore Zionism’s wild men in favor of a more rational approach to the world was also evident after the formation of the Palestinian national-unity government several months ago. The United States and the European Union among others accepted to engage with it, against the Israel desire to see the international community boycott the government.

Israel and its howlers in Washington will continue to try and lump nationalist resistance groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah with criminals such as Al-Qaeda and its offshoots, but the efficacy of such crude propaganda is steadily decreasing. This means we should be alert to the next set of exaggerations, diversions and lies that Israel and its Western hit men and women will use to prevent any rational accountability of Israeli actions.
    Rami G. Khouri is published twice weekly by THE DAILY STAR. He can be followed on Twitter @RamiKhouri.

Nodin wrote: »
    A Palestinian man and his Jewish bride-to-be are facing hostile protests in the Israeli town of Rishon Letzion after Israel's high court refused their application to ban demonstrations outside their wedding reception.

Mahmoud Mansour, 26, a Palestinian from Jaffa, has had to hire dozens of security guards after an anti-Arab group, Lehava, published details of his wedding reception online and called for Israelis to come and picket the wedding hall.

And here's an update, a nice picture of the happy Bride & Groom

Note the bride & Groom are flanked by security guards. But thankfully judging by the photo, it doesn't seem to have diminished their happiness. No doubt the Zionist fanatics protesting outside, must have been greatly distressed by it all.:)

And here's an update, a nice picture of the happy Bride & Groom

Note the bride & Groom are flanked by security guards. But thankfully judging by the photo, it doesn't seem to have diminished their happiness. No doubt the Zionist fanatics protesting outside, must have been greatly distressed by it all.:)

Just a point to note - lets imagine this was a muslim bride that converted to Judaism, was marring into a jewish family and a gunman fired into the Wedding party for her forsaking Islam. The state would compensate the victims, as they would be adjudged victims of terrorism. However, had the worst happened at the actual wedding mentioned, and a gunman linked to an ultra Zionist group opened fire, no one would be entitled to anything. True story.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/01/israel

Just read the article you linked Nodin and the first thing that jumped into my head was. I don't even think the Nazi's were extended such blantant murder privileges, in prewar Germany.

Just read the article you linked Nodin and the first thing that jumped into my head was. I don't even think the Nazi's were extended such blantant murder privileges, in prewar Germany.

Apartheid South Africa, sometimes with the laws, sometimes against the laws. There's often a nod and a wink attitude to bigotry.

For instance I've been told that if you live as an Arab Israeli, you'll be fine, but if you try to live as an Israeli, problems happen, and all I've read over the years seems to bear that out.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/19/AR2007121902681.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2007121902748

• Advertisement

Gaza reminds us of Zionism’s original sin

http://electronicintifada.net/content/gaza-reminds-us-zionisms-original-sin/13775?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+electronicIntifadaPalestine+%28Electronic+Intifada+%3A+Palestine+News%29
    That evening, as I was preparing to leave forBen Gurion airport near Tel Aviv, people around me were trying to calm me down. “Don’t aggravate them, cooperate and they will be nice,” they said. “Why go through all this unnecessary inconvenience?
    Listening to this, I was reminded of Jewish communities under the Nazi regime who believed that if they cooperated and showed they were good citizens then all would be well. But the road from cooperation to the concentration camps and then the gas chambers was a direct one.
    After all, Palestinians have never possessed as much as a tank, a warship or a fighter jet, not to say a regular army.

So why the fear? Why the constant, six-decade-long campaign against Gaza? Because Palestinians in Gaza, more so than anywhere else, pose a threat to Israel’s legitimacy.
    Back at Ben Gurion airport that night, I was told that if I cooperate and plead with the shift supervisor it would make the security screening go faster. When I declined this generous offer, I was told they “did not like my attitude.”

They proceeded to paste a sticker with the same bar code on my luggage and give me the same treatment Palestinians receive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Well this thread is getting a bit stale and one sided, figure I might have a punt; could use more experience arguing unpopular causes;

As much as one might oppose Israeli settlements in Palestine, Israeli occupation in those same territories and the retarding effect of these policies on creating a viable Palestinian state, I can't help but feel that much of this 'Free Gaza' sentiment that's been visible for the past month or two, is at best a suspicious endeavour, and a worst, a malicious one.

For one thing, so much of this anti-Israeli sentiment appears utterly at odds with popular opinion in Western countries since before the Iraq War and especially after it - non-intervention. The public was up in arms over the invasion over Iraq, over the invasion of Libya, the potential strikes against Assad in Syria, and even the spectre of taking an active stance against Russia over its actions in Ukraine - in all cases, in spite of pretty clear images of how malignant those regimes are or were in their actions. In-fact, we've developed a pretty strong resilience to caring about the fate of other peoples and states overseas, such as in Sudan or Sri Lanka. Yet suddenly when Israel responds rather bloodily to attacks on its territory, we see so much moral indignation, so much venom, so much naked hatred directed not just at Israel itself, but in cases, even delving into naked anti-Semitism. We even see popular calls to boycott an entire state, expel its ambassador, acts which seem utterly unprecedented and which never get employed except in the case of Israel.

I just feel like I'm missing something here that everyone else is getting but I'm not, what exactly is it that drives us to such passions over one state and one alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well this thread is getting a bit stale and one sided

A bit like Israel and her actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Well this thread is getting a bit stale and one sided, figure I might have a punt; could use more experience arguing unpopular causes;

As much as one might oppose Israeli settlements in Palestine, Israeli occupation in those same territories and the retarding effect of these policies on creating a viable Palestinian state, I can't help but feel that much of this 'Free Gaza' sentiment that's been visible for the past month or two, is at best a suspicious endeavour, and a worst, a malicious one.

For one thing, so much of this anti-Israeli sentiment appears utterly at odds with popular opinion in Western countries since before the Iraq War and especially after it - non-intervention. The public was up in arms over the invasion over Iraq, over the invasion of Libya, the potential strikes against Assad in Syria, and even the spectre of taking an active stance against Russia over its actions in Ukraine - in all cases, in spite of pretty clear images of how malignant those regimes are or were in their actions. In-fact, we've developed a pretty strong resilience to caring about the fate of other peoples and states overseas, such as in Sudan or Sri Lanka. Yet suddenly when Israel responds rather bloodily to attacks on its territory, we see so much moral indignation, so much venom, so much naked hatred directed not just at Israel itself, but in cases, even delving into naked anti-Semitism. We even see popular calls to boycott an entire state, expel its ambassador, acts which seem utterly unprecedented and which never get employed except in the case of Israel.

I just feel like I'm missing something here that everyone else is getting but I'm not, what exactly is it that drives us to such passions over one state and one alone?[
    /QUOTE]

One sided destruction of a prison camp tends to rise 'passions' in people with humane civilised minds

Well this thread is getting a bit stale and one sided

Isn't the truth bitch. Damn all these posters on the side of Human Rights. Damn all these posters on the side of innocent civilians. Irritating you that many have exposed the hate filled fanaticism of Zionism? Yes logic and truth can be an inconvenience for some.
    I can't help but feel that much of this 'Free Gaza' sentiment that's been visible for the past month or two, is at best a suspicious endeavour, and a worst, a malicious one.

Ironically suspicious logic, is ironically suspicious.
    I just feel like I'm missing something here that everyone else is getting but I'm not, what exactly is it that drives us to such passions over one state and one alone?

This sounds very similar to a certain poster who used similar nonsensical comments and deflection tactics, about Syria, Iraq, ISIL, ect, ect. Anyway all that irrelevant nonsense aside, if you look at the thread title, you'll see this....

Israel - Palestine Conflict.

It's most definitely a tragedy that the content of this thread is not sufficiently amusing for you.However,your attempts to shake things up are a bit disappointing since you've only contributed an insufferably opinionated piece which attributes your own motivations to others and also makes a number of spurious assumptions. There is potential in your final question but could you make your own position a bit clearer and make a more reasoned and logical argument as otherwise people might think you're some sort of headcase.

Well this (............)over one state and one alone?

Evidently you don't remember the boycott Burma campaign, or the campaign to end Apartheid, the campaign to end Indonesian occupation of East Timor....

Sudan is under sanctions, Libya was under sanctions, Syria is under sanctions, Iran is under sanctions, Sri Lanka is under investigation, Russia is under sanctions. Israel will be in the Eurovision song contest.

[QUOTE
    I just feel like I'm missing something here that everyone else is getting but I'm not, what exactly is it that drives us to such passions over one state and one alone?[/QUOTE]

Here I've just watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8qDpg_x49Y

Maybe you might find this interesting and you could come back and comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

A bit like Israel and her actions
    hju6 wrote: »
    One sided destruction of a prison camp tends to rise 'passions' in people with humane civilised minds

Forgive me gentlemen, but I do not think the actions we have seen in the past month or so can compare in degrees to the level of destruction in both property and human life that we have not only ignored in the past decade, but even denigrated in scale and significance. In the years leading up to 2010, we could not muster anything more than a passing interest for the destruction of more than 300,000 ethnic Fur in Sudan, a slaughter that not only failed to insight our collective ire, our moral indignation or our action, but which we could term only as a 'humanitarian disaster', as though to attribute the deaths to human frailty rather than murderous militias. Did our sense of humanity slumber in those years? Did I perhaps miss great outcries of 'Boycott Sudanese Goods'? Was were not supposed to feel passion in the case of that slaughter?
    It's most definitely a tragedy that the content of this thread is not sufficiently amusing for you.However,your attempts to shake things up are a bit disappointing since you've have only contributed an insufferably opinionated piece which attributes your own motivations to others and also makes a number of spurious assumptions. There is potential in your final question but could you make your own position a bit clearer and make a more reasoned and logical argument as otherwise people might think you're some sort of headcase.

I dare say this thread has not lacked for insufferably opinionated pieces, I do apologize if my argument has been insufficiently cogent and I will try to make it more solid and wider in scope as the argument proceeds, but I thought it might be best to start on a reasonably small part of the debate.
    Isn't the truth bitch. Damn all these posters on the side of Human Rights. Damn all these posters on the side of innocent civilians. Irritating you that many have exposed the hate filled fanaticism of Zionism? Yes logic and truth can be an inconvenience for some.

Ironically suspicious logic, is ironically suspicious.

This sounds very similar to a certain poster who used similar nonsensical comments and deflection tactics, about Syria, Iraq, ISIL, ect, ect. Anyway all that irrelevant nonsense aside, if you look at the thread title, you'll see this....

Israel - Palestine Conflict.

Forgive me sir, but have I given you the impression that I look upon the events in Gaza and the deaths of so many civilians with anything but the kind of disdain and disappointment that many others here have expressed? I think such actions can be termed most politely as unwise for the Israeli state and more forcefully as a bloody and wilfully destructive campaign of retribution to rocket attacks on Israel. Nonetheless I am uncertain that you can lay the blame for the actions in Gaza simply at the door of 'Zionism', which I always found to be a spectacularly nebulous catch-all - what is there in the idea that there should be an Israeli state which inherently demands the slaughter of others, that there is not in the idea that there should be an Irish state? If I might take the opportunity actually, could I ask you what exactly 'Zionism' is?

And just to take up your point on the thread title, you are indeed correct as to what it is called, however I've noticed that such threads tend to be more numerous, and consist of more posts, than threads detailing what we might term analagous events - let us say for example, a Nagorno-Karabakh thread :)

Nodin wrote: »
    Sudan is under sanctions, Libya was under sanctions, Syria is under sanctions, Iran is under sanctions, Sri Lanka is under investigation, Russia is under sanctions. Israel will be in the Eurovision song contest.
    LOL, nicely put, I may have to steal that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement