Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer dog is drinking too much

• 29-07-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

HI just asking this for a friend. She has a boxer dog aged about 6 . Since the hot weather started he is drinking water steady nearly none stop. HE is drinking to the point that it is (hate to say it ) running out of him. She says it is not the color of pee but like water. She has taken the dog to the vet and the vet did tests for diabetis and a few other things but everything was clear. Now the dog is finding it very hard to get up and sometimes yelps when tries to get up. But she says the vet gave him a good going over and there wasnt a word out of him. The vet gave him a long lasting antibiotic injection

Any Advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Back to the vet, or a different one for a second opinion. Hope your friends dog is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

If you drink a lit of water your pee will be clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Deffo get a second opinion. Sounds like there's something quite amiss with this dog and needs sorted.
    Drinking all that water isn't good and isn't normal. The yelping would concern me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Actually OP, I don't want to scare you but if it was me, I'd be calling the emergency vet now. Dogs can go downhill so quickly and it sounds like he's in a lot of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Whispered wrote: »
    Actually OP, I don't want to scare you but if it was me, I'd be calling the emergency vet now. Dogs can go downhill so quickly and it sounds like he's in a lot of pain.

^ ^ ^ This

We lost our 1yr old boxer on May 1st, he went downhill VERY quickly, was drinking a lot of water, stomach bloated up, had an op at 9am and didn't make it.

Don't mean to be scaring you but it's better to be on the safe side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

scudzilla wrote: »
    ^ ^ ^ This

We lost our 1yr old boxer on May 1st, he went downhill VERY quickly, was drinking a lot of water, stomach bloated up, had an op at 9am and didn't make it.

Don't mean to be scaring you but it's better to be on the safe side

Could I ask what the vet found wrong with your dog

lulu1 wrote: »
    Could I ask what the vet found wrong with your dog

Ozzy had a heart condition, we knew he had it, but didn't realise to what extent, so we booked him in for an ultrasound on the thursday afternoon.

The night before he was coughing real bad, nothing coming up, just coughing, and drinking LOADS of water.

We both took it in turns to stay up with him, come 8am we noticed his tummy was quite swollen, so thinking it could be bloat, rang the vet straight away, he was being operated on at 9am and we received the dreaded call at 10.

It was his heart, it was in a very bad state, he went downhill so rapidly

scudzilla wrote: »
    Ozzy had a heart condition, we knew he had it, but didn't realise to what extent, so we booked him in for an ultrasound on the thursday afternoon.

The night before he was coughing real bad, nothing coming up, just coughing, and drinking LOADS of water.

We both took it in turns to stay up with him, come 8am we noticed his tummy was quite swollen, so thinking it could be bloat, rang the vet straight away, he was being operated on at 9am and we received the dreaded call at 10.

It was his heart, it was in a very bad state, he went downhill so rapidly

So sorry about your dog although we do have a dog this boxer belongs to a friend he is really big but very gentle and it would break her heart if anything happened to him

lulu1 wrote: »
    So sorry about your dog although we do have a dog this boxer belongs to a friend he is really big but very gentle and it would break her heart if anything happened to him

Ozzy was huge too, for a boxer, we have a female and she's big but he was 4" taller, and only 1

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

My dog got sick last year and died within a week. She was only 5. One of the symptoms was drinking a lot and she weed in the house too even though she would never had done (she was mortified). She also seemed to have problems holding her back legs and I thought she had hurt her leg.
    It turned out to be Addison's disease which I never heard of and is hard to diagnose.... Drinking a lot is a sign and the water goes right through them so they are still very thirsty and dehydrated.

• Advertisement

The vet has just phoned my friend She told her the blood tests she done came back clear but his white blood cell count was a bit low and just to keep an eye on him for a while. Ps he has started to eat a little bit today.

Advertisement