Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request to bring laptop on annual leave, my rights?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

OP hope things work out for you (sorry but I have no idea about law/regulations around this).

If I'm off (as I am the mo :) ) then I'm off. I see certain fellow employees check email while away but no bloody way would I. I give work my all during the working year, time off is time off imo. If my boss asked me to check in on work during holidays I'd be getting my CV up-to-date (thankfully in a industry that is short of supply).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a tough one OP. You're under no legal obligation to do this but it'll look bad if you don't. The downside of company laptops and phones is that you're expected to always be available.
    I wouldn't be thinking about leaving the job over this though - realistically no matter where you go, it'll be the same in certain roles.

I work in a multinational myself as a Service Delivery Manager in IT. I have teams in 3 different time zones reporting to me, but I try to do as much as possible during the "overlap" hours - so 8am-10am for Asia, and 2-6pm for the US. Emails/IM and weekly team calls take care of most of it.
    I do have a company phone and laptop that I bring home with me but unless it's something critical, the laptop rarely gets taken out as I can reply to anything urgent on the phone. I just leave it beside me and have a quick skim through the inbox every few hours and reply to anything that needs immediate attention. Everyone knows to call me if it's REALLY urgent too.

Realistically it takes me maybe 20 mins of my evening and I don't mind it as it's just part of the territory after a certain level - even though there's nothing formal and I'm not paid anything extra.
    I was on leave for a week though recently and just brought the phone, but again I'd set things up and briefed the team sufficiently that things ran smoothly in my absence (it does help that I have a great team though :))

I'd just have a chat with your reporting line and suggest that you'll bring a phone with email setup on it and have no problem keeping an eye on things from time to time, but that x will be covering in your absence and that's where most day-to-day stuff should be directed -although you'll be available for anything critical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Morte wrote: »
    This would really concern me from the company's point of view. If you're actually going on holidays (not staying at home) there's a massive risk of the laptop being stolen. Aside from the cost there would presumably be a lot of confidential information on it.

Agree. What about data protection? If they laptop goes missing/stolen and there is sensitive data on it, not matter how small that amount is, the company will get a massive slap on the wrists (fine) for the commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Berserker wrote: »
    Agree. What about data protection? If they laptop goes missing/stolen and there is sensitive data on it, not matter how small that amount is, the company will get a massive slap on the wrists (fine) for the commissioner.

Appropriate encryption should cover that. Bitlocker for example

Advertisement