Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SM Newbie Questions (Player Concern Levels: Post #4)

• 29-07-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Despite years of playing the various versions of championship/football manager and getting bored with lack of in game ai and wishing there was a massive online version to pit my wits against loads of fellow players I somehow only came across Soccer Manager the other night!!

I signed up yesterday and took charge of Roma but am a bit out of my depth!

First question! How do I invite non playing friends. I clicked on the icon and then selected yahoo mail but after a quick search I get a message that no contacts were found, how do I get around this? (trust me I'm not a loser and I have email contacts!)

Second question! If I get by the second question myself and 3-4 mates are looking to play in the one league. How should we go about setting it up or should we look at entering one of the leagues ye guys are playing that has unmanaged teams?

Third question- Once in a league are the games played at a set time or how are they run? Should we subscribe as paid up members or play the free version and feel our way through.

Many thanks in advance for your replies. Apologies if the questions appear amateurish!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭modo85

Hi Guys,

Despite years of playing the various versions of championship/football manager and getting bored with lack of in game ai and wishing there was a massive online version to pit my wits against loads of fellow players I somehow only came across Soccer Manager the other night!!

I signed up yesterday and took charge of Roma but am a bit out of my depth!

First question! How do I invite non playing friends. I clicked on the icon and then selected yahoo mail but after a quick search I get a message that no contacts were found, how do I get around this? (trust me I'm not a loser and I have email contacts!)

Second question! If I get by the second question myself and 3-4 mates are looking to play in the one league. How should we go about setting it up or should we look at entering one of the leagues ye guys are playing that has unmanaged teams?

Third question- Once in a league are the games played at a set time or how are they run? Should we subscribe as paid up members or play the free version and feel our way through.

Many thanks in advance for your replies. Apologies if the questions appear amateurish!!

To answer questions one and two, you and your friends could apply through the thread 'manager waiting list' for any of the unmanaged teams. If you are a memeber of boards, which you you are, you may apply for any unmanaged team from division 1-4, if your friends aren't
    They may only apply for teams n division 4.

To answer your third question all games are thurs and Sunday night at 8pm, you will also be in a two cups which are normally tues night.
    I may be wrong in some of my statements so don't take my word as gospel.

Your next step should be to go onto the 'manager waiting list' and shift through the unmanaged teams then apply for one.

Hope this helps you,best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

To invite friends I think you need them to register on Soccermanager, you enter a world with free teams and then invite them to manage other free teams.

You can set up your own league for a few € which means you can set the rules, pick the teams that will be in it, pick the team you want to play as and probably most important, you get a fair start because no transfers have happened

You're more than welcome to join any of the leagues here, I have two myself or join the busiest one The Boards.ie League. The Boards one is probably the best IMO but it would mean starting with a small as opposed to Dortmund, Bayern, United, etc

League games are aged on Thursdays and Sundays. Cup, shield and CL games are on Monday and Tuesday I think

My advice would be to join the boards league or one of the others. Get the hang of it, see how you like it and then set up your own if you do. Your mates can join here too though it is preferable that they are boards members

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

swoody wrote: »
    If people are concerned about there own players, I think this is what's required to keep them happy:

The highest rated players expect to play in approximately 85% of games:

9 games by week 10
    19 games by week 22
    28 games by week 32
    33 games by week 38

90+ expect to play in approximately 75% of games:

8 games by week 10
    17 games by week 22
    24 games by week 32
    29 games by week 38

players expecting to be a substitute if you selected your first choice line-up and those rated 89 or above, will expect to play in approximately 30-40% of games:

3-4 games by week 10
    7-9 games by week 22
    10-13 games by week 32
    12-16 games by week 38

goalkeepers 88+ need to play in 90% of games:

9 games by week 10
    20 games by week 22
    29 games by week 32
    35 games by week 38

*sub appearances are only valued at a half an appearance.
    *cup games are also added in the 38 games.

:):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Rightlad91

What is the website? I am similiarly like you comic book guy would love to know more about this game please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

How do you loan young players out?

• Advertisement

Rightlad91 wrote: »
    What is the website? I am similiarly like you comic book guy would love to know more about this game please

Www.Soccermanager.com

How do you loan young players out?

You can only loan from other managed teams. Loaning good players can be difficult. The chairman of the other team won't let a player go unless the position he plays is well covered.

For example, I have 3 94 strikers and an 89 and still can't loan out an 87 striker even though it's very rare for him to get game time if any at all. My advice would be to contact some clubs and see who they can let go. Usually everyone is willing to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Rightlad91 wrote: »

Soccer Manager is a real time game with matches played at fixed times during the week. Each Game World has a set amount of clubs which can be managed and are split across a number of divisions. All other clubs and players within the Game World can be interacted with.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    You can only loan from other managed teams. Loaning good players can be difficult. The chairman of the other team won't let a player go unless the position he plays is well covered.

For example, I have 3 94 strikers and an 89 and still can't loan out an 87 striker even though it's very rare for him to get game time if any at all. My advice would be to contact some clubs and see who they can let go. Usually everyone is willing to help out.

Sorry I meant my players. I have a couple I want to loan out so they can improve, can you loan list them?

Edit: Just found it

Sorry I meant my players. I have a couple I want to loan out so they can improve, can you loan list them?

They won't improve unless they do in real life. The only reason to loan out is t help another manager or to cut your wage bill :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

The players ratings are based on real life performances. This means that no matter how good they may be in the game, if they are absolutely catastrophic in the real world then their rating will plummet.

What loaning out players does do though, possible, is stop players developing concerns, although the type of players that develop concerns are either players you don't want to loan out, or ones that you do but your chairman won't allow it.

Ahhhhhh ok I may have missed that fundamental thing about the game! I didnt know it was literally based on the actual players in real-life :pac:

I thought it might be a good idea to make this thread a sticky, for any new manager who might have any technical "Newbie Questions" as the OP put it.

Definitely, its quite different from LMA or Football Manager, it'd be good to have a guide for newbies. Obviously most people will learn most things from actually playing and seeing how things are over time but for the initial set up etc. Like I had no idea who was best to pick for Captain, free kicks etc so asked a manager who gave me a page where you can check their attributes which was handy

Ahhhhhh ok I may have missed that fundamental thing about the game! I didnt know it was literally based on the actual players in real-life :pac:

Yes so allways consider that! Say for example you have Adnan Januzaj and someone offers you Drogba or lampard or xavi for him, well I wouldn't take that deal! Adnan will rise and play for years wheres as the others will all fall and retire soon enough

Wilberto wrote: »
    I thought it might be a good idea to make this thread a sticky, for any new manager who might have any technical "Newbie Questions" as the OP put it.

Great idea mr mod!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Yes so allways consider that! Say for example you have Adnan Januzaj and someone offers you Drogba or lampard or xavi for him, well I wouldn't take that deal! Adnan will rise and play for years wheres as the others will all fall and retire soon enough

Yeah thats what I was going for young players, but didnt know say, Adnan has a sh!te season with United this year in real life it would affect his rating in SM.
    Alle ist klar jetzt :)

Alle ist klar jetzt :)

Dat ist gut. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Definitely, its quite different from LMA or Football Manager, it'd be good to have a guide for newbies. Obviously most people will learn most things from actually playing and seeing how things are over time but for the initial set up etc. Like I had no idea who was best to pick for Captain, free kicks etc so asked a manager who gave me a page where you can check their attributes which was handy

What's the page mate? I need to check that stuff myself.

soccerwiki.org :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Do friendly matches affect players fitness?

Nope, not at all. Nor do they contribute to alleviating player concerns. Essentially, the only two reasons that one would play friendlies are:

1) To try out new tactics, and

2) to just have more matches to play if that's what one needs to make the game more interesting.

Nope

If you click match preview it gives you information like that about sll games, I.e will it effect players, who can play etc.

Heres a copy of the PM i sent all new managers today

Hello lads.. Welcome too the game.. Below im going too give ye some pointers on how the game is played.
    Players rise and drop based on real life so if you could buy any player in say the premier legue right now it’d be Harry Kane, nailed on for a rise in the same sence as if you had Roberto Soldado you’d be very worried about him dropping, So say someone offers you Xavi today for 40 million & 2 of your 84 rated youth players, your initial reaction is WOW im buying the ledgend Xavi BUT hes just after dropping too 91 is 35 years old AND going too quatar in the summer where he is nailed on too drop too 88,89! So in 6 months you’ll have a 36 year old 88 rated player whos on the road too retireing. Whilst the other manager has 40 million cash and those 2 84 rated youth players may well turn out like Harry Kane and fly up the ratings!! Another example is Marco Reus of Dortmund he was added too the game as an 80 rated player in June 2010 by june 2012 he was 90 rated and june 2013 92 rated! So make sure and watch youth players closely as YOU may have the next Reus already in your squad so when someone offers ya 3 million for some kid who cost ya 10 grand think too yourself “Why is he paying that much?” and remember google is your friend!
    Speaking of new players been added too the game this may be hard too find so ill tell ye, you’ll see on the right hand side of the screen a globe with the words “The Boards.ieleague” after it. Click this. Then click Player Database then New Players ( you may need too load a data pack go ahead and press that) and in there you’ll find EVERY new player as they are added too the game!
    From time too time lads have auctions over on boards for players where they invite division 4 managers too place a minimum bid on a player they have no need for and then raffle him off too all the clubs who placed said bid. So keep an eye out for this!

There are 80 “internal clubs” which means 80 clubs that can be managed. Any club WITH a manager you can deal as normal with, Any Club WITHOUT a manager you cannot buy from so as too preserve those teams for future managers. Whilst you may think this means you cannot do transfers you are wrong. You can do transfers with EVERY club in the real world, If we take the premier league for example theres only around 10 teams in our world from there meaning the other 10 ( like West Ham,Swansea Stoke) are external clubs. When dealing with external clubs its great because if you find a player at an external who you want, you can swap players you don’t want as part of his transfer deal,
    So killing 3 birds with 1 stone (getting in a good player and getting 2 old players you have no use and not spending cash either in doing so!

If you want too find these external clubs you can either A, search in the box in the right hand top cornor or B, click on the globe sybol (as above) and in the last box on the right you’ll see a list of leagues I.s Europe,Asia,South America etc click here and it gives you a list of all leagues and clubs and you can look throw every squad in the world and bid on players who you would like too add too your team!

From my quick look around just the ONE league this morning I found 15 players under 30 87 rated or better. So the moral of this is lads ALL new managers should have a first team 11 rating of 87 or better, if you have some 35 year old 85 rated player in your starting 11 get him out and get a younger player in! Your average age of your first 11 you should try too get below 30 too!

If anyone needs ANY help then contact myself LordTSC or Wilberto and we will help in any way possible and also if you arent sure about anything then ask in public on the forum were all there too help.

Might be 1 or 2 things in there that lads didnt know so ill share with everyone. Please know that all players are only been used as examples and im not saying any manager who owns the players mentioned above are upto no good!!

Also lads i forget too tell ye, If ye have a player ye want too sell but no that no managers will be interested cuz hes a poor player (say 35 years old and 78 rated) then you Click on the player,,then actions, then transfer status and put them on the transfer list for there value and computer teams will bid on them after 24 hours! that will save you wages AND build your transfer kitty!! Any lads that are under 21 you can put in your youth team (not your first team) too help tidy things up if youd like too see how they devolp in years too come!!

Last two posts copied from the main thread so they won't get lost.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

You can also use players you don't want as trade ins against players bought from external teams. This can help if money is tight and you have a lot of bad players to shift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

If you make a bid to an external club using a player like Robin Van Persie say tonight while he's still a 95, then at some point before the external decides what deal to plumb for, his rating drops (to say 92 jus cos he's in Turkey) - at what point does the external club decide the value of the deal? Once it's logged? Or once all other bids are in and they have "logged them" (are making their decision on which to go for) ... ?

baza Rakus wrote: »
    If you make a bid to an external club using a player like Robin Van Persie say tonight while he's still a 95, then at some point before the external decides what deal to plumb for, his rating drops (to say 92 jus cos he's in Turkey) - at what point does the external club decide the value of the deal? Once it's logged? Or once all other bids are in and they have "logged them" (are making their decision on which to go for) ... ?

If the offer hasn't been accepted yet, and his rating drops, then the value of the offer drops. It's happened to me once already where I bid the minimum for a player at an external, but the value of one of my players dropped, and as a result, the bid was rejected.

I'm not sure about what happens where the two offers are accepted, and then the player drops though. My guess is that it still takes into account the drop in rating to be honest.

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    If the offer hasn't been accepted yet, and his rating drops, then the value of the offer drops. It's happened to me once already where I bid the minimum for a player at an external, but the value of one of my players dropped, and as a result, the bid was rejected.

I'm not sure about what happens where the two offers are accepted, and then the player drops though. My guess is that it still takes into account the drop in rating to be honest.

Well my bid using Van Persie has been accepted, along with others. As long as he doesn't drop in rating too soon I should be grand. Reckon I've been outibid anyway, but that's another story ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

baza Rakus wrote:
    Well my bid using Van Persie has been accepted, along with others. As long as he doesn't drop in rating too soon I should be grand. Reckon I've been outibid anyway, but that's another story ...

Why the hell are you buying him anyway Baz??? He will be 90 or less with a season over there

Why the hell are you buying him anyway Baz??? He will be 90 or less with a season over there

Not buying him BIDDING using him Tupac. All that hip hop has gone to your heid.

I was using him to bid for Ozil. It all became quite academic as I was outbid by a team who could offer £70m (as they have a much weaker squad than mine). I did however have a last laugh when I got offered £31m from Fener to buy him. The next day he dropped to 93 and I accepted the bid. Peazy.

The notion of him suddenly dropping from 95 (after a year at united where he hardly played) to 93 just by going to Turkey - as if he's suddenly a less quality player is utter nonsense, but is an arguement for another day (and another forum).

Advertisement