Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

verenti insight 04 ...opinions?

• 29-07-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-insight-04-sora-2014/

folks, i'm in the market for a nice racer as i'm fed up of being left in the dust when i'm on the mountain bike on the road with the lads. My budget would be 1k. What think ye of this verenti?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

folks, i'm in the market for a nice racer as i'm fed up of being left in the dust when i'm on the mountain bike on the road with the lads. My budget would be 1k. What think ye of this verenti?

It's fairly heavy for a carbon frame. If I was spending 1k on a new bike I'd go for a better spec'd alloy bike over a cheap carbon one. Rose have the new 105 5800 11 speed groupset on this for €999
    http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro-sl-2000-2015/aid:745547

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

WillyFXP wrote: »
    It's fairly heavy for a carbon frame. If I was spending 1k on a new bike I'd go for a better spec'd alloy bike over a cheap carbon one. Rose have the new 105 5800 11 speed groupset on this for €999
    http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro-sl-2000-2015/aid:745547

Looks nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

the rose takes 4-5 weeks delivery...i need a bike sooner than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I'd say this would be a great bike to start on. From what I understand, Wiggle rebadge Ridley bikes to Verenti and Ridley is a very well respected make.

At a guess, I'd say the bike you selected in Wiggle is a derivative of the Ridley Orion: link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

If you're not using the bike to work scheme, then go second-hand. Your budget should get you something very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

route66 wrote: »
    I'd say this would be a great bike to start on. From what I understand, Wiggle rebadge Ridley bikes to Verenti and Ridley is a very well respected make.

At a guess, I'd say the bike you selected in Wiggle is a derivative of the Ridley Orion: link

I believe it's the same mould as used by Ridley, but not the same carbon layup as used by Ridley on their bikes,
    Same shape frame as Ridley, but not the same ride characteristics due to the difference in the carbon and layup..

torydiver wrote: »
    I believe it's the same mould as used by Ridley, but not the same carbon layup as used by Ridley on their bikes,
    Same shape frame as Ridley, but not the same ride characteristics due to the difference in the carbon and layup..

I based my reply on what I have read in various reviews and NOT read in Wiggle replies to questions posed about various Verenti bikes. The brand of the finishing kit is the same as Ridley own brand (4za) so we're not just looking at a factory "borrowing" a mould as speculated for other makes - e.g. Ribble.

From what I understand Ridley make the Verenti bikes. This does of course not mean they are identical in every respect - nor does it mean they are inferior.

I'd be interested to hear otherwise - do you have any references?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

I agree with what the others said. At that price, going carbon will chew up a huge proportion of the budget which probably accounts for the bottom of the line sora group set. In addition, carbon vs alu aint gonna make a huge difference I think.

For that price you should be able to get an alu frame with tiagra or 105 shimano groupset which will probably serve you better in the long term. While carbon might be stiffer and lighter, remember that for the most part what makes you faster is your legs and not the bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

torydiver wrote: »
    Same frame, different paint. http://www.bibshortsorbust.com/2013/03/open-mold.html

bogmanfan wrote: »
    If you're not using the bike to work scheme, then go second-hand. Your budget should get you something very nice.

I'm new to this cycling Craic and done want to get done.

• Advertisement

I'm new to this cycling Craic and done want to get done.

You won't go wrong with the Verenti.

Alternatives include:
    Chainreaction's Vitus Venon Road Bike (link) is also on budget and get's a decent writeup here: link

Elsewhere in Wiggle:
    Felt's Z95 is an excellent starter road bike in Aluminum for €624: link
    More or less the same Felt bike - called the Z7 - in Carbon for €1057: link
    Or Felt's Z85 in Aluminum with a better spec for €913: link

I'd look at the Verenti and the Z7.

But then if you trade Carbon for Aluminum, you could get a better spec with the Z85. Or how about spending just an extra grand or so and ...

route66 wrote: »
    You won't go wrong with the Verenti.

Alternatives include:
    Chainreaction's Vitus Venon Road Bike (link) is also on budget and get's a decent writeup here: link

Elsewhere in Wiggle:
    Felt's Z95 is an excellent starter road bike in Aluminum for €624: link
    More or less the same Felt bike - called the Z7 - in Carbon for €1057: link
    Or Felt's Z85 in Aluminum with a better spec for €913: link

I'd look at the Verenti and the Z7.

But then if you trade Carbon for Aluminum, you could get a better spec with the Z85. Or how about spending just an extra grand or so and ...

I like that f95 .... Might go for that

I like that f95 .... Might go for that

With Felt, the F's differ from the Z's in that they are more racing oriented; the Z's are a little more upright and more comfortable for longer distances. The link I gave was for the Z.

sorry meant the z95

felt arrived yesterday. Easy enough build.
    Here she is ...obviously saddle height needs adjusting.
    Just one minor issue. The quick release on the brake levers at rims when engaged still didn't allow enough clearance for wheel installation. I had to disconnect the brake cables at the shoes. Is this normal?

felt arrived yesterday. Easy enough build.
    Here she is ...obviously saddle height needs adjusting.
    Just one minor issue. The quick release on the brake levers at rims when engaged still didn't allow enough clearance for wheel installation. I had to disconnect the brake cables at the shoes. Is this normal?
    Thanks to
    Nice bike - Well wear!

You should be able to remove the wheels once you have slackened off the quick release. Tyres too wide or brakes adjusted too close to rim? Ask Wiggle to comment?

Advertisement