Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog obedience classes or trainer in cork

• 29-07-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a Boston terrier she is spoilt rotten and it did her no good! As a pup she was really well trained and behaved and when I moved back into my parents house it all went down the drain because everyone treats her differently. She is very anxious I think its because she was such an unusual breed here in Cork, everyone came up to her and wanted to rub her and I think this may have made her more nervous around people.
    She is very territorial and possessive over me, she has bit my nephew through jealousy more than once. She is not used to kids and has bit a few kids over the last few years. If someone called to the door she would take the legs off them. My aunt died last week and the dog was barking so I picked her up to answer the door and my god mother came in she leaned over to hug me and the dog snapped at her.
    Today my cousin brought her daughter over and she was all calm sitting there getting rubbed and the next minute she snapped at her and bite her arm and marked her. Then later on in the day my neighbor who is mentally challenged came over and put her hand over the hate and the dog jumped up and bite her. I have told her on many occasions not to go near the dog cause she will bite her but it doesnt register with her and the dog is vicious at the gate and she puts her hand in god love her.
    Please dont give me a tough time over this being totally unacceptable I know it is and thats why I'm here I really need to sort this as soon as possible. Can anybody please recommend someone? Any advice will also be taken on board thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    I don't think classes will be of much use to you, it's a one-to-one session you most likely need, in your own home. You should preferably get someone in with behavioural expertise. The problem you outline is going to need to be properly managed. For example, your dog is being put in a position where she can bite people, and some of these can be instantly addressed by making sure your dog does not have access to these scenarios... she should not be in the front garden where people can put their hands over the gate, and she should not be petted on the sofa by anyone if she has a history of not liking such people (e.g. children, people she's not very familiar with) Lots of dogs enjoy being petted up to a point, at which point they will start to show signs of becoming a little uncomfortable (lots of people don't recognise these signs), after which they'll often snap and try to wriggle out of the situation. Having her in your arms whilst someone leans in for a hug would test the patience of many dogs, and should also be avoided, at least until you've had good expert advice :)
    Here's a list of accredited trainers in Cork. Now, do bear in mind that APDT Ireland accredits trainers, not behaviourists, however many members are also behaviourists in their own right, so have a look and see who best meets your requirements:
    http://apdt.ie/index.php/find-a-trainer/dog-trainers-in-cork/

All APDT Ireland accredited trainers have been assessed to make sure they have a good grasp of dog behaviour, and all must embrace ethical, dog-friendly dog training techniques.
    Good luck!:)

Advertisement