Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 day eviction notice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'd be of the belief that the first lease should be 5.5 months so that the landlord can get a true sense of the tenant before they gain part four rights.

Our current lease (not in Ireland) is always 6 months. Towards the end of the 6 months, the letting agency asks whether we want to continue living in the property. Our deposit (I think it was only 1 month, but I can't remember) is kept with a third party, so neither tenants nor landlords can access it until we move out. The inventory when we moved in (afaik it was done by the company that keeps the deposit) was so detailed that it even mentioned the existing dust on some of the light fixtures. We get 3 or so letting agent inspections a year, where she quickly looks around the property and asks us if we have any issues. Every issue we've ever mentioned during those inspections have been immediately dealt with. The letting agency also has an online system to notify them of any problems, in case we'd rather do that than ring them.

When we move out, I expect the inventory to be just as detailed, and I won't mind if we lose some of the deposit to cover any new things that must be fixed. After all, anything that doesn't appear in the old inventory will definitely have been caused by us.

We've never met our landlord because he treats renting out as a business, as he should, and leaves it all to the letting agent (which, I must say, has been the best agent I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with).

My family rents out a few properties in Ireland and abroad, but they are considering taking them off the rental market and simply leaving them vacant. They will readily say that renting out is one of the worst things you can do in your life. To be honest, if the daily running of a home rental business was always the way we have it here (in this house, not necessarily in this country), I doubt my family would mind renting out their houses. None of the nastiness they've encountered over the years would have happened in the first place.

It would be so easy to fix so many of the biggest problems, but there's no political will to do it, and I suspect lawmakers are severely out of touch with the rental situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4Marie

It was the Landlords choice to hire a solicitor not the tenants. So that's his expense ??

I already explained that I was posting because I felt for the landlord having the difficulties? And I emphasised with both of them not just tenant ?

More advise for OP ; Try putting the washing machine on a really hot wash and it will self clean. Mold can grow if cloths are not taken out in a day particularly if it's warm weather. From experience of doing lots of laundry :)

Anyway, do your homework next time you'll get what's deserved.

ps. I don't really care anymore so please stop shaming me and giving out. I am a caring person. I'm not willing to argue for seeing good in any one. especially since tenant can't speak for self here and it's all completely one sided and he clearly has problems

END OF. Mod please excuse me from this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Renting is a business end of. If you are doing otherwise it's a hobby. Revenue have no qualms of applying tax rules etc relating to property fact. The laws relating to tenant/landlord etc in the books are totally unsuitable and have been added to and cobbled together by people who have no understanding of what's involved. Ditto prtb,judiciary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

4Marie wrote: »
    It was the Landlords choice to hire a solicitor not the tenants. So that's his expense ??

The landlord had no other choice!
    Under the PRTB system the tenant does not need a solicitor while the landlord most.
    The landlord is viewed as the professional and the system is setup so that anything that is out of place can result in extending the eviction process and even financial compensation to the tenant if the landlord did not follow the rules down to the letter.

Meanwhile the tenant can basically ignore everything and just leave a nice big mess for them to clean up later. There has been multiple stories of Threshold telling tenants to overhold.

No one wants to see people thrown out on the streets but that does not mean a private citizen should be massively out of pocket due to the actions of an individual and then protected by the state via the current setup! Its almost insulting.
    I can't even begin to consider the amount of time, hassle, money and stress the landlord in question experienced over the past 18 months!! And what happens to the tenant? Will probably get somewhere else only to rinse and repeat.
    Afterall the only solution the government has offered is banning ads from saying "No Rent Allowance".
    END OF. Mod please excuse me from this conversation.
    So you want to get the last word in and run off?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Auds22002

Renting is a business end of. If you are doing otherwise it's a hobby. Revenue have no qualms of applying tax rules etc relating to property fact. The laws relating to tenant/landlord etc in the books are totally unsuitable and have been added to and cobbled together by people who have no understanding of what's involved. Ditto prtb,judiciary.

I agree ,i am an accidental landlord i bought my house when i was 30 in 2004 ,single girl ,lived there for seven years,fell in love ,got married,lived there until we both lost our jobs one after the other in 2010/2011. We moved down to the midlands to a house my husband owned with his brother as it was a cheaper mortgage and we pay rent to his brother also , my husband had some casual work down there, we prob did rush into renting out house as we needed to find 1200 every month for it while on the dole.

That house was my pride and joy,the last four years have been hell ,first year he was good. we were naive ,since then we tried to be understanding landlords always helped him with any problems etc then in 2012 he lost his ra and that was four months of huge money worries as he refused to leave kept saying this will be sorted,he eventually got it back but in the meantime we had to use our ivf money we had saved up (never had a family since,solicitor fees were paid by newly saved ivf money) meanwhile he told us they got preg to make it harder to be evicted by sheriff ,thankfully he was wrong.

Not all landlords are business people and the recession forced a lot of people into being landlords. i feel there is very little legal protection out there for the LL side.

There is a human side to everyone and we cant be expected to be takethe slack for a government that messed up, causing this social housing crisis .

• Advertisement

In addition I see the indo mentions the revenue getting involved in looking at landlords and accidental landlords in ensuring that taxes and returns are being made. I think anyone who invested in a second house for retirement income should be commended. Whilst job losses etc can create problems with house payments, a longer term outlook should be adopted. Most mtgs are 20-25 years and hopefully by that time the rental income will be a nice addition to pension + the asset value in the house itself

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Auds22002 wrote: »
    I agree ,i am an accidental landlord i bought my house when i was 30 in 2004 ,single girl ,lived there for seven years,fell in love ,got married,lived there until we both lost our jobs one after the other in 2010/2011. We moved down to the midlands to a house my husband owned with his brother as it was a cheaper mortgage and we pay rent to his brother also , my husband had some casual work down there, we prob did rush into renting out house as we needed to find 1200 every month for it while on the dole.

That house was my pride and joy,the last four years have been hell ,first year he was good. we were naive ,since then we tried to be understanding landlords always helped him with any problems etc then in 2012 he lost his ra and that was four months of huge money worries as he refused to leave kept saying this will be sorted,he eventually got it back but in the meantime we had to use our ivf money we had saved up (never had a family since,solicitor fees were paid by newly saved ivf money) meanwhile he told us they got preg to make it harder to be evicted by sheriff ,thankfully he was wrong.

Not all landlords are business people and the recession forced a lot of people into being landlords. i feel there is very little legal protection out there for the LL side.

There is a human side to everyone and we cant be expected to be takethe slack for a government that messed up, causing this social housing crisis .

I think there is a difference between deliberately investing in property & ending up as a landlord due to unfortunate circumstances.

Myself and my OH decided to supplement our pretty lousy private pensions with rental property. We're 13 years into one tracker mortgage & 10 years into a variable rate one. We're lucky that they pretty much cover their costs but we do have a hefty tax bill each year. We could put that money into our pensions as an alternative but we decided it was better to have an alternative income stream in retirement. That was a conscious decision on our part so we have had to take the rough with the smooth.

Auds22002 ended up as a landlord due to circumstances. Then was unlucky enough to run into a horrible tenant, intent on abusing the system. The sad thing is that the system, the PRTB, the courts enable horrible people to do horrible things for long periods of time to people who are doing their best under trying circumstances.

I hope you can put this behind you Auds & get back to saving again. Best of luck with the IVF treatment. I think you had rotten luck & it's wrong that the system allowed it to go on for so long. Your horrible tenant walks away you end up picking up the pieces & the expenses. It's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

this whole renting situation is a bit of a disaster in total in this country, isnt it?

Anyone remember the shrill from the gov " talk to your landlord" this was a public announcement. Looking back we had the Bacon report and a recent report on property. The problem is we have academics making reccomondations to the Gov who in turn carve them up to suit themselves and implement. Clueless clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Auds22002 wrote: »

I know what you are feeling. We had a rental property a few years ago. To cut along story short we got complaints about the tenants, I did an inspection, what I found when I went in there was horrendous. Skirting boards off the walls, coving damaged kitchen and bathroom totally wrecked. We at that stage had given them the 28 days notice to leave. They threatened us with the ptrb but when they did that we said we would counter sue for the damage to the property which amounted to approx 15k, needless to say that was the end of it. FYI these weren't RA tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Based on what you said about the state of the house, especially the mould in washing machine would there not be a way to evict on health and safety grounds?
    No, but the tenant could take a case against the landlord if they took too long to fix faults they had reported.
    I would presume you are allowed to inspect the property at least once a month and if you verified mould as health as safety issue due to improper maintenance by tenant then maybe you could get special dispensation to evict on those grounds.
    Inspections once or twice a year would be reasonable, any more could be seen as interrupting the tenants peaceful enjoyment of the property.
    It would be helpful if tenant was to try claim they were getting ill from mould in house and what not?
    Why? It would only prolong the torment for the landlord!

It would be more helpful if landlords could take possession of their property a few months after issuing a notice of eviction and if an eviction order could be obtained from the courts after 4 weeks of non payment of the full weekly rent.
    GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Actually once a month is well within a landlords rights.
    once or twice a year is more like reasonable, any decent landlord should be able to tell from a chat with a tenant what they are like and whether their property is at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Auds22002

we were not allowed inspect the house much,once eviction was served the tenent severed all ties with us and would only speak to solicitor,my husband got to do one inspection at a time suitable to tenant ,he agreed to an evening inspection ,and the burnt out oven and mouldy washing machine were not things that were checked,if we had know about these things they would of been replaced ,on the surface it looked clean it was only when he was kicked out that we found mould on surfaces that had been hidden e.g when we moved the couch there were many drink stained areas that had mould and furry spores on it,he only cleaned what he could see,out of site out of mind.

The state of the house is only the icing on the cake ,the post was more an update to all that has gone on over the years ,to thank people for their support and maybe someone can learn from our naivety .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement