Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really worried about my feral cat

• 29-07-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Her name is Ginger and we've been feeding her for about three years now. We even bought her a cat house to sleep in at night. Neither my cat or my dog minded her. Then they passed away and we adopted. Our current cat doesn't mind her, but the dog... Ginger has been living on the wall since Jessie arrived. We've made her a little house on it and put in a heat pad when it's cold. It's terrible, our dog just won't learn to leave her alone.

Last Saturday, Ginger fell off the wall and my dog got her by the throat. I have no idea how much damage, or if there was any damage done before my mam got hold of my dog. Ginger fled and now, nearly four days later there has been no sign of her. I checked around the area she was attacked for blood but I haven't found any. Everyone keeps saying she's probably just in shock but surely she'd be back by now. I miss her so much. I know she doesn't have much of a life with us living on a wall but we're all she has. The longer she's gone the more I fear she's dead.

It's a long shot but has anyone ever had this experience with either a feral or a domestic cat? Will Ginger come back? I feel so helpless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    Her name is Ginger and we've been feeding her for about three years now. We even bought her a cat house to sleep in at night. Neither my cat or my dog minded her. Then they passed away and we adopted. Our current cat doesn't mind her, but the dog... Ginger has been living on the wall since Jessie arrived. We've made her a little house on it and put in a heat pad when it's cold. It's terrible, our dog just won't learn to leave her alone.

Last Saturday, Ginger fell off the wall and my dog got her by the throat. I have no idea how much damage, or if there was any damage done before my mam got hold of my dog. Ginger fled and now, nearly four days later there has been no sign of her. I checked around the area she was attacked for blood but I haven't found any. Everyone keeps saying she's probably just in shock but surely she'd be back by now. I miss her so much. I know she doesn't have much of a life with us living on a wall but we're all she has. The longer she's gone the more I fear she's dead.

It's a long shot but has anyone ever had this experience with either a feral or a domestic cat? Will Ginger come back? I feel so helpless.

I experienced it with a cat we took in & he did not make it. There was no blood at all on him. The attackers were not my dogs. More then likely however Ginger has decided your wall is not a safe place to be & has gone elsewhere. Is your dog ok with your own cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Knine wrote: »
    I experienced it with a cat we took in & he did not make it. There was no blood at all on him. The attackers were not my dogs. More then likely however Ginger has decided your wall is not a safe place to be & has gone elsewhere. Is your dog ok with your own cat?

I would second this. My cats moved out of the back yard when the dog moved in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Knine wrote: »

Yeah, she's actually afraid of her. I don't understand it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Any sign of ginger? I hope she comes back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

deise08 wrote: »
    Any sign of ginger? I hope she comes back

Still no sign of her :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that :( I had hoped there'd be some good news that she turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Something almost identical happened with my cat and dog a few months back. I adopted a poundie back in January. He seemed to get on fine with the cats until they ran and then instinct kicked in and he chased them. My cats come and go as they please but are never gone for more than 24 hrs at a time so when one of them didn't come home in 2 days I knew something was wrong. We searched and searched for him for days, asked all the neighbours, put up posters, no sign of him anywhere. The last day he was seen I returned from work to find the dogs face covered in scratches but just thought he had been rooting in the bushes. Now I believe the cat did it in self defense.
    Anyhow, 10 days later the cat turned up in the back yard with a gaping hole in his throat and in pretty bad condition all round. I rushed him straight to the vet who said it looked like an abcess that burst and was now badly infected. He sent us home with antibiotics and told me to clean the wound several times a day. There wasn't even enough flesh left to stitch.. so after a week of bathing it in salt water,applying manuka honey dressings and trying to trick him into taking tablets he started to show signs of improvement much to the vets surprise. Now he's completely healed thankfully. . I, like you had feared the worst and almost given up hope of finding him alive so im hoping and praying your kitty will turn up soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

You could get a loan of a cat trap off your local vet/rescue group. Set it up near your house and you might catch the cat.

Advertisement