Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's World Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Clear try there not given to the USA, is there no TMO in this?

Seems not :( Such bad refereeing again. The female officiating is chronic, why are there no men refereeing ? We have women coming into men's rugby as officials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No we haven't. Wales, Spain, Canada, England have hosted cups.
    You could host it in Limerick with games in Dooradoyle, Greenfields with finals in Thomond..

I was going to suggest Galway, with games in The Sportsground, Terryland and the final in Pearse Staduim. ;)

Cork and Belfast also have the capacity to stage the entire tournament and there are enough venues in Dublin 4 alone to host it.

But while I like the idea of keeping it tight with all the games being staged in one or two locations as in France this year and England in 2010, I think a case could be made for spreading the games around a small country like ours.

Thomond Park would be ideal for the final though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

All USA in the past 15mins, should have gotten something for their pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

sullivlo wrote: »
    Jesus Canada are giving England a good run. This could be another major upset.

I hope it's not heresy or apostasy to mention the men's game here, but I can't understand why the latter's world cup finals have never gone to North America, Canada or USA or both sharing.

feargale wrote: »
    I hope it's not heresy or apostasy to mention the men's game here, but I can't understand why the latter's world cup finals have never gone to North America, Canada or USA or both sharing.

I think they would probably want to wait until the host could be confident of a chance at the knock out stages. You would need that to generate the interest and subsequent money. I'd say they will get one in the next 4 cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Piliger wrote: »
    Seems not :( Such bad refereeing again. The female officiating is chronic, why are there no men refereeing ? We have women coming into men's rugby as officials.
    You want top female officials getting games at top of their game. Some of the officiating isn't great but what would you do.
    Lapin wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Galway, with games in The Sportsground, Terryland and the final in Pearse Staduim. ;)

Cork and Belfast also have the capacity to stage the entire tournament and there are enough venues in Dublin 4 alone to host it.

But while I like the idea of keeping it tight with all the games being staged in one or two locations as in France this year and England in 2010, I think a case could be made for spreading the games around a small country like ours.

Thomond Park would be ideal for the final though.
    Any of the cities would be great. Cork would be slightly harder with Musgrave, CIT, Temple Hill but still possible
    Will go to US soon enough IMO. 2027 possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

It would suit Belfast or Cork better than Dublin, the locals would appreciate it more.

Seaview, Windsor Park, Casement & Ravenhill (k***span) might make Belfast the better choice (in my unbiased opinion :D)

Finally a card for NZ, long time coming. USA has to score from this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's only been 7 RWC's so far so it's not that surprising.

The 2019 RWC is in Japan and by then hopefully they'll have a Super rugby team as well as their pro league.

You want top female officials getting games at top of their game. Some of the officiating isn't great but what would you do.

Stop punishing the players by using sub standard officials just for sexist reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Are NZ effectively knocked out after the draw in the England v Canada game?

nordydan wrote: »
    It would suit Belfast or Cork better than Dublin, the locals would appreciate it more.

Seaview, Windsor Park, Casement & Ravenhill (k***span) might make Belfast the better choice (in my unbiased opinion :D)
    You wouldn't need 4 grounds to host games and you wouldn't need a ground like Casement Park. You could use Ravenhill plus A.N Other club rugby ground in Belfast
    Stop punishing the players by using sub standard officials just for sexist reasons.
    It isn't sexism or anything. There should be female referees involved if deemed to be international standard. Is their male referees who are better who could ref games? Yes. But top female officials should referee the top women's game

Eod100 wrote: »
    Are NZ effectively knocked out after the draw in the England v Canada game?
    They cant win the Cup but still have 5th-8th playoffs to play

Biggest difference between these two teams is handling skills, NZ just lightyears ahead of the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They cant win the Cup but still have 5th-8th playoffs to play

Nice one! Think my post was badly phrased, meant that they couldn't progress to semi-final.

RTE News says Irl v. Fra or Aus in semi-final. Surely that's wrong - not settled yet. Isn't there still a chance of Canada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

You wouldn't need 4 grounds to host games and you wouldn't need a ground like Casement Park. You could use Ravenhill plus A.N Other club rugby ground in Belfast

The A.N. Other rugby ground could be the issue as after Ravenhill the standard drops to park level. Seaview in North Belfast hosts about 4,000 and has an artificial pitch so would be an ideal 2nd venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

RTE News says Irl v. Fra or Aus in semi-final. Surely that's wrong - not settled yet. Isn't there still a chance of Canada?

It depends on the outcome in France Aus. I have it outlined on the previous page (on phone so can't link)

Its not settled yet. We will be first or second seeds. We play England if France win and if Australia win without a bp we play Canada
    nordydan wrote: »
    The A.N. Other rugby ground could be the issue as after Ravenhill the standard drops to park level. Seaview in North Belfast hosts about 4,000 and has an artificial pitch so would be an ideal 2nd venue
    It wouldn't really. Ravenhill would host most games and there is club grounds in Belfast of similar standard to Dooradoyle in Limerick which could host group games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Its not settled yet. We will be first or second seeds. We play England if France win and if Australia win without a bp we play Canada

C'mon Australia!!!!

vienne86 wrote: »
    C'mon Australia!!!!

Tbh all of the potential teams offer threats. We have the beating of them on our day though - we have beaten England in the past 18 months sure!! Believe and all that jazz.

C'mon Australia!!!!

Fra v. Aus - score? Time? Channel? Thanks.

Fra v. Aus - score? Time? Channel? Thanks.

Sky sports. 7.30 pm. Kick off 7.45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

" I couldn't make out a word of it." : I have the very same problem with the commentary on Spanish and Italian soccer channels. The damn fellows just won't speak English!
    If the vast majority of those channels audience only spoke English youd bet your ass itd be in English. AT leats S4c offer English commentary on the red button . It'd be good if TG4 could do similar.

I watched it on Sky Sports anyway so it was no skin off my nose.

I had to head out after the Ireland game anyway, are New Zealand out after the England result? EDIT, it appears so. Best chance of winning a world cup we'll get I'd say, be nice to take it.

No we haven't. Wales, Spain, Canada, England have hosted cups.
    You could host it in Limerick with games in Dooradoyle, Greenfields with finals in Thomond..

Why only Limerick? We're hardly a continent sized country .Try use something like that to spread the game as much as possible in different areas. You could have one round of pool games in Dublin, one in Belfast and one in Cork or Limerick. Then do Semis and Final in the Aviva maybe?

• Advertisement

Why only Limerick? We're hardly a continent sized country .Try use something like that to spread the game as much as possible in different areas. You could have one round of pool games in Dublin, one in Belfast and one in Cork or Limerick. Then do Semis and Final in the Aviva maybe?
    Why spread it around when you don't need to. These tournaments are nearly always played in 1 city. It keeps costs down as well as gets crowd figures higher than they would with individual games all over the country. Look at any of the previous women's world cups or under 20 men's world cup's(both have exact same format).

They use 2 grounds for group games and then same 2 grounds for playoffs with maybe 1 large ground used for finals.

Why spread it around when you don't need to. These tournaments are nearly always played in 1 city. It keeps costs down as well as gets crowd figures higher than they would with individual games all over the country. Look at any of the previous women's world cups or under 20 men's world cup's(both have exact same format).

They use 2 grounds for group games and then same 2 grounds for playoffs with maybe 1 large ground used for finals.

Spread it to try and draw more casual fans in to the game as well as people who might not be up for a 3 hour trip to watch games but would like to go.. It wouldn't be individual games all over the country you have a full day of pool games on in a city. Itd be like a roadshow type affair. 1st round of pool game in Limerick say on a Saturday . So 6 games there. Then on to Belfast or Dublin for the midweek round, then finish up in Belfast or Dublin on the Saturday with the 3rd round.

Spread it to try and draw more casual fans in to the game as well as people who might not be up for a 3 hour trip to watch games but would like to go.. It wouldn't be individual games all over the country you have a full day of pool games on in a city. Itd be like a roadshow type affair. 1st round of pool game in Limerick say on a Saturday . So 6 games there. Then on to Belfast or Dublin for the midweek round, then finish up in Belfast or Dublin on the Saturday with the 3rd round.
    We wouldn't have much choice. IRB do it this way to save costs. Teams can base themselves in the one place and don't need to change hotels etc once no matter what happens in terms of games.

I believe that spreading only dilutes. It's fine for mega events like the soccer world cup and Olympics maybe ... but not for a small event like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its very strange to suggest that not only should we get to host the event, but that also we should demand that the IRB change the format they've successfully used up until now just to suit us.

• Advertisement

France lead Australia at halftime
    If game stays like that we play England

sullivlo wrote: »
    Tbh all of the potential teams offer threats. We have the beating of them on our day though - we have beaten England in the past 18 months sure!! Believe and all that jazz.

You're right, of course, but I would still prefer to play Canada than England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

How long after the games have they been up on the TG4 website? missed the game and want to catch up.
    Can any ye watch the New Zealand & USA game on the TG4 website. they don't seem to work for me

You're right, of course, but I would still prefer to play Canada than England.

Well to win the WC we'd have to eventually beat England. May as well get them out of the way before the final ;):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its very strange to suggest that not only should we get to host the event, but that also we should demand that the IRB change the format they've successfully used up until now just to suit us.

We're only thrashing out a few ideas. I don't see anyone demanding anything of the IRB.

And what is so 'very strange' in expressing an interest to host the tournament? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lapin wrote: »
    And what is so 'very strange' in expressing an interest to host the tournament? :confused:

I think you are being purposely silly there, as I've little doubt that you knew I meant that it was strange to want to host it and change the seemingly successful format, not that wanting to host it was itself strange.
    Apologies if my phrasing was bad, but I doubt anyone was confused.

can anyone please tell me if the game is available for catch up on Sky Go? really want to see the game missed it due to work and one of the girls in the team is a family friend so want to catch up on the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a massive mistake by Irish rugby. At a time when they should be maximising the audience and spreading the game, they are selling off too many games to minority interest groups and alienating the majority of the pubic.

If RTE got it they wouldn't be showing as many games as TG4. Same thing comes up on a weekly basis during the pro 12. Personally I don't have a problem with TG4 showing the games as they've always been good supporters of what some would call minority sports.

As for the interview with no sound at the end, I doubt the station 'silenced' it, just technical issues I'd say.

siobhan08 wrote: »
    can anyone please tell me if the game is available for catch up on Sky Go? really want to see the game missed it due to work and one of the girls in the team is a family friend so want to catch up on the game

It's not there now.....maybe a bit too soon...most recent Rugby is August 6.

But RTE didn't buy the rights did they ? I thought TG4 bought the rights.... and like many I don't have Sky.

You should get onto the Equality Authority on behalf of the Skyless. And while you're at it, tell them that this centuries long discrimination against English speakers has to stop.

• Advertisement

It's not there now.....maybe a bit too soon...most recent Rugby is August 6.
    is it up on TG4? not on laptop so can't check... Ive tried the video of the other games on the TG4 website but they don't seem to be working

So by the looks of it we have England in the semi

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If RTE got it they wouldn't be showing as many games as TG4. Same thing comes up on a weekly basis during the pro 12. Personally I don't have a problem with TG4 showing the games as they've always been good supporters of what some would call minority sports.

As for the interview with no sound at the end, I doubt the station 'silenced' it, just technical issues I'd say.

RTE would show a lot more if they got it.

siobhan08 wrote: »
    So by the looks of it we have England in the semi

Yes, that's it, and it won't be easy.

Optimism. I think on their day this group of girls can beat anyone. They have beaten this English side before and the coaching team will have an ace or two up their sleeves in terms of game analysis.

England are a good team with a few standout players. When those players are kept quiet, they offer less in attack. Ireland have come on since the last meeting of the sides where they lost 17-10. I have every faith that we will give them a good game and another bit of magic may see us win.

You can say that again

Fieldsman wrote: »
    And did they silence the interview with the Irish captain at the end. I'm one of a very big club who cant understand it I think

You apparently don't watch much or any of TG4's GAA coverage, because week after week as often as not they conduct English language interviews with players and mentors who have no Irish. So no, I would be 99% certain that they didn't silence the interview. I would think there was some technical problem or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would say the NZ team we beat is a lot stronger than that England team. Canada missed their two conversions against England today and scored a try in the second half that was unsighted by the ref.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would say the NZ team we beat is a lot stronger than that England team. Canada missed their two conversions against England today and scored a try in the second half that was unsighted by the ref.

I must say that I think after beating NZ, anything is possible fo this team. They seem very focussed. Their bodies will be getting tired now, but so will the English bodies. I definitely won't be missing this one on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I must say that I think after beating NZ, anything is possible fo this team. They seem very focussed. Their bodies will be getting tired now, but so will the English bodies. I definitely won't be missing this one on TV.

Clearly to beat a big team like England, they will need to be near the level they were against NZ, but I would definitely think the NZ team Ireland beat are a considerably stronger team than England.....the English were very fortunate to draw against Canada yesterday.

Advertisement