Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss maps

Options
  • 30-07-2014 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm doing the walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt in Sept. and am wondering if anybody has the maps for the route and if they are willing to sell them. They are an extortionate price new.
    Specifically the maps I need are Swiss topo 5027T and 5028T, alternatively Kummerley+Frey 22, 23, 24.

Comments

hiromoto wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm doing the walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt in Sept. and am wondering if anybody has the maps for the route and if they are willing to sell them. They are an extortionate price new.
    Specifically the maps I need are Swiss topo 5027T and 5028T, alternatively Kummerley+Frey 22, 23, 24.

Have you tried the MCI, and see if they could lend them to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Have you tried the MCI, and see if they could lend them to you?

Didn't realize it was a possibility. Thanks, I'll try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

For me, maps are the best momento of a trip in the mountains. Better even than photos. I can pour over maps of past trips and they'll trigger an avalanche of memories. I'd want to have them and keep them for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

... they are an extortionate price new.

A few years since I was in Switzerland but the whole place was pretty pricey, iirc.

The Swiss are good map makers though, should be well worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Viewranger sells Swiss maps by the tile also, which might be useful.

• Advertisement

Well I tried MI and they didn't have them so I ordered them while biting down on a stick to help with the pain.

Well I tried MI and they didn't have them so I ordered them while biting down on a stick to help with the pain.

I share your pain,I spent €100 on 4 maps for a trip to Switzerland I'm doing in a couple of weeks, in fairness they are beautiful maps.

Thanks Dursey feels better to know I'm not alone. 60 Euro for two composites to cover the Haute Route. Can I ask where you're heading, what's the plan?

Thanks Dursey feels better to know I'm not alone. 60 Euro for two composites to cover the Haute Route. Can I ask where you're heading, what's the plan?

I'm doing more or less the 2nd part of the Haute route, as time constraints (my wife won't let me) means I can't do the full thing.

The plan is as follows:

fly to Geneva, bus to Les Haudéres,

Les Haudéres-Cabane de moiry-Zinal-Cabane bella Tolla-Gruben-St Niklaus-Zermatt
    (we'll get the train back to St Niklaus,and spend another night there, as Zermatt seems very expensive)

St Niklaus -bus back to Geneva,

I'm looking forward to Cabane de Moiry, as it looks fantastic,

http://www.cabane-de-moiry.ch/home.php

I had 3 of the 4 maps bought for a previous expedition, so bought the missing one, spent €28.70 to buy it from Stanfords, only to discover there is only about 1 1/2 inches at the bottom of the map which is relevant.

Nice, if you're back before Sept. 2 let me know how you got on and any tips you may have, it's my first Alpine trek.

• Advertisement

Nice, if you're back before Sept. 2 let me know how you got on and any tips you may have, it's my first Alpine trek.

I'm back the 26th August, I've been to the Alps a fair few times.
    a couple of tips before you go

-join the Austrian Alpine Club,
    Mountain Rescue Insurance, and discounts in most of the huts.
    Any accident and a chopper is called, you will be billed for the rescue.

-don't bother with a sleeping bag, just a sheet bag

-Sept will be quiet enough, I don't think I would bother booking ahead, maybe the weekends

-I never carry more than 10kg (thats the rucksack and its contents),on a trek.

The Alps are fantastic, I love the quietness in the mornings, the physical beauty of the place, the grub in the huts, and a beer or 2 in the evenings.
    English speakers are very much in a minority. Overall it's a great holiday, enjoy

I'm feeling very organised now because I've got my insurance ( through MI ) and sheet bag, won't be booking and am bringing a lightweight minimum with me.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Good luck to you all on your Swiss treks. If you are passing by Bern drop me a PM & if I'm around I can show you the sights.

I'm feeling very organised now because I've got my insurance ( through MI ) and sheet bag, won't be booking and am bringing a lightweight minimum with me.
    Can't wait.

All set so, another couple of things.......

-a pair of ear plugs, for sleeping in the huts, can be useful.
    a friend of mine, whose snoring was so bad ,used to bring lots of them for other people in the room.
    Some of the huts are gas, everyone sleeping like peas in a pod on a long "shelf"

-if you don't fancy using the smelly old slippers that are in the huts, bring your own slippers/sandals/runners for evening time.
    (I remember one place in Austria gave out disposable slippers but this isn't the norm)

-the advantage of the Austrian Alpine Club is that you get discounts in the huts run by the Swiss Alpine Club for accomadation (not food or drink), however usually they will give you the same discount if you produce the MCI or BMC card.
    This may not be the case in Switzerland, as they like their rules,but in Italy they will.

- I would normally like to set out before 8 o'clock, and aim to be in the hut by mid-afternoon. Nothing as nice as being in a warm hut drinking a beer while a thunderstorm rages outside.
    Not so nice being stuck in a thunderstorm having to cross a high coll in mid afternoon.

The weather in Switzerland had been fairly poor lately, lets hope it settles down,

Got my maps delivered and they really are beautiful. I don't know if they're 30 euro each beautiful, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Might be worth getting them professionally laminated (in a Xerox shop or similar), so that they remain in pristine condition, both for use on your trip and as fabulous potential momento afterwards!

Ok, just back, a few things

I can't comment on the entire Haute Route, but the bits I did were tough and demanding, while not technically difficult.Our first day entailed a climb of 1850m to Cabane de Moiry, and nearly killed me.
    Even our "easy" day yesterday, St Niklaus to Zermatt was 18km, 500m climb.

We made use of the 2 cable cars, Sorebois to Zinal, and Jungen to St Niklaus. ( Jungen is a nice spot, and would be a good alternative to St Niklaus to spend a night). I would recommend you do the same.

According to 2 Americans we met in Zermatt, the high level route between Gasenried to Zermatt is out of action due to landsides, and the suspension bridge is also out.

Generally, it was very quiet, with the exception of the Saturday night in the hotel Schwarzhorn, in Gruben. The hotel also does an excellent packed lunch for 10frs.

Sometimes, the huts will try and use the minimun number of rooms leaving other rooms empty. It may be possible to move to an empty dorm, waiting until about 9.30 in order to get a decent night's sleep.

Cabane de Moiry, is a spectcular spot, strongly recommended, I left a club pennent there, if you could take a photo of it , I would
    appreciate it.

The weather was good, cold in the mornings and from late afternoon, however today, was constant rainfall from very early morning,

Hardly ever looked at the maps, with the exception of the route to Cabane bella Tola, and the decent to Jungen. ( BTW Jungfal is a different place)

I would say the generally the Cicerone guidebook, underestimates the times.

Glad to hear you got good weather, they've had their wettest summer in fifty years. I've been trying to get out on the hills three or four times a week for the last few weeks. Even with that training the scale of the thing is starting to dawn on me. At the moment I'm determined to walk all the way and take the high alternatives, it'll be interesting to see how long that resolve lasts. Disappointing to hear about the high level finale but maybe it'll have reopened in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your tips and report I'll do my best to get you the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I've done a two day hike from Binn is Switzerland to Crampiolo in Italy and back. Pretty close to where you were. Whole area around there is great in the Summer. Been out there in winter so many times but only once in the summer.

Well I had a hugely successful Haute Route. Walked every step of the way and loved every one of them. As I got into the second week I found the days actually a bit too short and extended them to stay in more out of the way Cabanes. Cabane de Moiry really is an outstanding place, I crossed the glacier to get to it. I can see how this would have been a very tough first day, I was well into my stride at this stage.
    Now for the bad news, no pennant anywhere. I looked on every surface I saw and didn't see it ( or any others ). I asked the guardian and was directed to lost and found in the drying room, I went back up and asked again and got a curt non monsieur. I have photos of the icefall and the Cabane if they are any good to you.

• Advertisement

Well I had a hugely successful Haute Route. Walked every step of the way and loved every one of them. As I got into the second week I found the days actually a bit too short and extended them to stay in more out of the way Cabanes. Cabane de Moiry really is an outstanding place, I crossed the glacier to get to it. I can see how this would have been a very tough first day, I was well into my stride at this stage.
    Now for the bad news, no pennant anywhere. I looked on every surface I saw and didn't see it ( or any others ). I asked the guardian and was directed to lost and found in the drying room, I went back up and asked again and got a curt non monsieur. I have photos of the icefall and the Cabane if they are any good to you.

Sounds like you had a good trip, thanks very much for looking out for the pennent, disappointing.
    Cabane de Moiry has a spectacular setting alright, the glacier seems to be retreating before your eyes.
    The price of a beer however was I think the most expensive I paid on the trip, and the packed lunch was bit of a rip.

Would you mind if i sent you a pm with my email? I would be interested in looking at the route you took, what options etc.
    This was my 9th trip to the Alps, and I have started to plan for next year.
    I will probably go to Italy, the food is usually very good and it's a lot cheaper than Switzerland.
    The huts are more basic usually, but with a nice atmosphere.

Advertisement