Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horses on the road...who to call

• 30-07-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

hi
    in the last 4 weeks, when driving to work, i have constantly come across horses on one stretch of the road.

the field that they are supposed to be in, has really poorly fencing, and its obviously unable to keep the animal contained.

It seems to be every 2nd day that they are out on the road, and im really worried that a car is going to crash into one of the horses, and cause damage to the car and the horse.

i don't know the owner of the field, so cant contact them to complain.
    the "local" gardai are about 30 miles away...

so, who should i contact about the issue, some animal welfare group or let the gardai know that its constantly happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Guards. Phone them.
    They might know who owns them. if not they will arrange to get them impounded.

I'm a true horse lover and owner but this annoys me.

The person who owns these does not care about them
    Why are they breaking out??
    Poor fencing. ?

Thirst or hunger.

They don't deserve to own animals
    What happened if a horse got spooked and went through a cars windscreen causing catastrophic injuries.

I doubt some horse owner like that does not have public liability insurance

The poor horses are the ones to loose out here
    But unfortunately that's sign of the times.

You say that it happens every second day so I presume that someone is putting them back in and not tending to the fencing.

There's reasons why horses jump out of fields company hunger thirst. And for some boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

ya, looks like someone puts them back in everyday.
    i can see exactly where they come out, and the poor attempt at fencing...

tried ringing guards there. gave up after 5 minutes.
    will try again later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

monflat wrote: »
    What happened if a horse got spooked and went through a cars windscreen causing catastrophic injuries.

Friend of a friend had one try to jump over the car....and wrote it off :o

I've had a near miss with one on the same stretch of road...(if anyone saw/read the news yesterday it was the road in Dublin that was closed off after a turf war..making me 40 mins late for work :mad:)

But yeah OP call the gards before there's an accident.

civic duty done, hopefully they can call out , had to go to the next big garda station to report it.

pity the rural stations are gone,..id have more faith in it being checked out...

ya, looks like someone puts them back in everyday.
    i can see exactly where they come out, and the poor attempt at fencing...

tried ringing guards there. gave up after 5 minutes.
    will try again later...

Great it's the only way.
    It's unfortunate on the animals but if a person was killed in such an indecent.

I knew of a horse jumped out of a field straight through windscreen of car and it was a horrible wait for vet to arrive.

• Advertisement

so, yesterday evening, on drive home, 2 of the horses were on the road again..
    same spot, horses from same field, etc..

i called the guards again, but they are over 30k away, so is there anything else i could do?

log a call with the rspca ? can they be prosecuted for not having the animals fenced in securely.

so, yesterday evening, on drive home, 2 of the horses were on the road again..
    same spot, horses from same field, etc..

i called the guards again, but they are over 30k away, so is there anything else i could do?

log a call with the rspca ? can they be prosecuted for not having the animals fenced in securely.

Well maybe get some evidence like videos photos etc take to guards

Possibly contact an animal welfare branch they will liase with guards also.

The more evidence you have the better.

Is it a busy road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hi OP,

I know it might be a pain but you should take photo evidence every time you see it. Contact the Gardai, email the photo and express your concerns to the enviromental office of the county council and a call to the Dept. of Agriculture animal welfare line or the ISPCA would do no harm as well.

Fecking ridiculous! Someone could be killed! And the horses are in serious danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Ring your t.d.
    I rang the gardai about horses three days before patricks day, the horses are still there...apparently it's illegal to have them in public land, seemingly you need an acre to own a horse but no one told the gards so i'd recommend contacting the local td and cause uproar, and send photos to papers etc

Advertisement