Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of Custume Barracks

Options
  • 30-07-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

Not much of an army buff i'll admit but i know quite a few young and old, former and current in it.

Views are mixed but one from a veteran is that he can see it being closed by 2016. Even going as far as to say there would be nothing left bar Cork and Dublin within the next decade.

I've got no real opinion on this as i don't know the facts (other than that everything is on the constant slash from the powers that be). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

From what I hear, rumor has it, the Gardaí will be moving up from Temple More. This is coming from retired and currently active staff within the barracks. I know a fair few people pushing 45/50 odd upping sticks and just leaving the Army at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Itzy wrote: »
    From what I hear, rumor has it, the Gardaí will be moving up from Templemore.

That would make sense - The barracks is currently far too big for the number of army personnel stationed there now it has lost brigade status. It would be a perfect location for the Garda Training College.

Best case scenario is the Gards Training College located in part of the barracks and an army presence in the rest. No reason why they can't share facilities like the canteen, the parade square, the gym etc. I just hope the Gardai use as part of their training a major onslaught on local thieving scumbags - The situation has been getting out of control in recent times and it's time we had some [proper law enforcement and law and order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It would make a great site for a satellite campus for a third level college eg Athlone IT

County Museum
    Some National museum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It would make a great site for a satellite campus for a third level college eg Athlone IT

County Museum
    Some National museum

A museum? I can't see a need for that myself
    Nor can I see AIT needing it for an expansion.
    The Garda college would be a good use for it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A museum? I can't see a need for that myself
    Nor can I see AIT needing it for an expansion.
    The Garda college would be a good use for it alright

Garda taking it is something i had heard. Templemore was a fairly dopey area to put it. Close to almost nothing (Cork at a stretch). A good use of the towns central location if it turns out to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Garda taking it is something i had heard. Templemore was a fairly dopey area to put it. Close to almost nothing (Cork at a stretch). A good use of the towns central location if it turns out to be true.

And gives us an extra reason to shout 'Come on the Blues'.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Mearings wrote: »
    And gives us an extra reason to shout 'Come on the Blues'.

The shout is "C'mon the town !" - The Blues are Birmingham City.....

Advertisement