Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verdun (WWI FPS)

Options
  • 30-07-2014 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Have been following this game a while now, remember playing it quite a while ago through my web browser.

Saw it on Steam yesterday for €6.45 early access, and remembering the promise the web browser version had, decided to give it a go.

It's a fairly simple game, which see's two teams fighting for control of trench networks - teams must take turns to attack and counter-attack, across various lines of trenches on the map. Teams are built of 4 squads, and each squad has 4 distinct members, including grenadier, support, officer, and...can't remember the other option. The officer for example can call in mortar strikes on enemy positions - been playing this position mostly, not because I wanted to but I was lumped into it when I started playing and just stuck with it!

It's buggy so far, but still very playable. For the first ten minutes I was sort of thinking that the game was just awful, but slowly it started to grow on me until I really started to get into it. Some of the bugs are irritating - no bullet drop at all (first kill was a headshot across the entire map with a pistol), texture pop-up and graphical issues, etc.

It's a cool idea and has a lot of promise, I think. It's nice to go back to basics with bolt action rifles :)

Verdun-thumb.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Looks like its created shoddily in the Unity Engine :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Looks like a mod for Half-Life 2 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Theres not a lot of first world war FPS's/ Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks like its created shoddily in the Unity Engine :/

It is a bit shoddy as of now, but they have a pretty good development blog. What actually annoys me most of all is the pop up textures, if they would solve that, they it'd actually be fantastic. Bit distracting when you're trying to creep forward and stuff is popping up/shifting placement in front of you.

Unity is a decent engine, is used in a few popular games without issue.

Still one to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I've started playing and they have made major changes in the graphics in the past two months. It's very different to most shooters, which is great.

Definitely worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it online only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Is it online only?

Yep.

Its a good game, but it has potential to be a great game if they ever polish it up properly and get it out of early access. It reminds me alot of Red Orchestra. One shot kills and rifles are essentially railguns. The pistols are ****ing railguns too right now tho which is probably something they need to tweak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just played it there again for the first time in a while, it is running a good bit better now. New poison gas feature is cool.

It's not a demanding game either, runs at ultra 1080p on an old 6870 fine. Reminds me of COD2 in looks, though it doesn't feel as fluid.

336488.jpg

336489.jpg

336490.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I was an early adapter too and I have to say I'm well impressed with the devs and the amount of Patches they are delivering.

It's great fun when you get the right numbers playing.
    The deathmatch option is great fun too if you need a quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Just picked this up in steam sale. Any boardsies playing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Just picked this up in steam sale. Any boardsies playing it

I am on the aussie servers. They ve updated it again and its a very good game. The EU server is really ompetitive!

Advertisement