Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Women shouldn't laugh"

• 30-07-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭

What a lovely statement from Turkey's deputy prime minister, Bülent Arinc

The deputy prime minister, Bülent Arinc, one of the co-founders of the ruling Islamic-rooted Justice and Development party (AKP), made the comment while lamenting the moral decline of modern society.

"A man should be moral but women should be moral as well, they should know what is decent and what is not decent," Arinc said in a speech on Monday, in the western Bursa region for the Bayram holiday that marks the end of Ramadan.

"She should not laugh loudly in front of all the world and should preserve her decency at all times," he added.

(...)

Arinc went on to denounce a moral degradation that left society awash with drugs and prostitution, and lashed out at popular Turkish soap operas for encouraging lax lifestyles, in comments quoted throughout the Turkish media and online.

He denounced the excessive use of cars, saying that if even the "river Nile was filled with petrol", there wouldn't be enough to go around. Arinc also slammed the excessive use of mobile phones in Turkish society, with women "spending hours on the phone to swap recipes".

Imitating a Turkish woman on her mobile, he said: "'Is there nothing else going on? What happened to Ayse's daughter? When's the wedding?' People should say these things face to face."(...)

Full Article

To be honest, I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about this.
    This isn't Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan, it's not one of the (unfortunately far too many) countries that pride themselves in degrading women.
    This is the deputy prime minister of a secular country, a country that is applying for EU membership.

I have always been an advocate of their membership - not immediately, but once they have socially and economically reached a reasonable point. I'm seriously re-thinking my position on a country and society that can vote a person with such views into such a high office....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm seriously re-thinking my position on a country and society that can vote a person with such views into such a high office....

Um, we've had some complete and utter gobsh1tes in high office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

To be honest, I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about this.

Well, if you're a woman, you probably shouldn't laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

He isn't saying that laughing is banned.

I'm sure he means that excessive emotional displays are super cringey and a "Turkish" stiff upper lip is better for their society.

But he's putting it across in a moronic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

"Islamic-rooted Justice and Development party" - the clue is here.

Of course they have views on suppressing women's rights and freedoms, it evident in all Islamic countries.

I was in Turkey a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be worried about them signing these things into law. On a related topic the women of Turkey are absolutely out of this world. More power to them!

snaphook wrote: »
    He isn't saying that laughing is banned.

No he's not. Men are good to go, but it's women singled out for the belly-laugh ban.

"She should not laugh loudly in front of all the world and should preserve her decency at all times," he added.

(...)
    ...women "spending hours on the phone to swap recipes".

I'm going to call a friend and swap a recipe while laughing hysterically, just to spite him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

This is what he said isn't it ?

Not that women shouldn't laugh.

And I agree. I think people who roar with laughter and guffaw in public should shut the fcuk up and stop being loud mouth, attention demanding, annoying pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Candie wrote: »
    No he's not. Men are good to go, but it's women singled out for the belly-laugh ban.

Men are not allowed to belly-dance though :mad:

eamonnq wrote: »
    Men are not allowed to belly-dance though :mad:

Thank god for that, for everyones sake. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Well being a woman, as I read this on my phone, I started laughing out loud in my car, wearing a very skimpy bikini, in the middle of a crowd
    ahahahah
    On a serious note, prostitution is the oldest profession in the world for a reason, it s certainly not the flow of closeted lesbian that keep the business open! Also, I love it when when men that have far too much time on their hands start degrading women without looking at themselves in the mirror! Ridiculous to say the least!

• Advertisement

And I agree. I think people who roar with laughter and guffaw in public should shut the fcuk up and stop being loud mouth, attention demanding, annoying pricks.

He didn't say people, though. He said women.

As long as men are included in that prohibition, I'm all for it.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He didn't say people, though. He said women.

Women are people. So he's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I laughed.

I didn't find it particularly funny though. I just laughed because I'm not a woman, nor am I in Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Agreed, and in fairness men are in my experience more often guilty of this than women.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Agreed, and in fairness men are in my experience more often guilty of this than women.

Probably true but while men are more regular offenders women are more likely to have a really annoying laugh and thus a cause a higher degree of annoyance.

But as far as I'm concerned every man, woman, child and fcuking dog should be muzzled if they can't stop making noise in public.

Probably true but while men are more regular offenders women are more likely to have a really annoying laugh and thus a cause a higher degree of annoyance.

But as far as I'm concerned every man, woman, child and fcuking dog should be muzzled if they can't stop making noise in public.
    Will you marry me? <3

Haven't you noticed: men are people, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Apparently Turkish women are posting laughing selfies on twitter

I think any gender making a lot of noise in public can be annoying - but its laughing, a happy thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Dogs are people too.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that's disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Men are people too, but not generally included in the cohort known as "women".

We need an inclusive world. Turkish politicians, when telling women not to laugh should tell men not to laugh either, otherwise they are guilty of misandry and discriminating against men.

I had noticed that yes. But he's right in what he says even if he's wrong in thinking its only women who need to cop on to themselves.

Calina wrote: »

We need an inclusive world. Turkish politicians, when telling women not to laugh should tell men not to laugh either, otherwise they are guilty of misandry and discriminating against men.
    If all the loudmouths regardless of gender, race, age, nationality or any other division would just shut the **** up the world would be a far better place.

Hang on here now a minute :D

I'm not agreeing with his hypocritical, sexist pigshít here.

I'm just saying people including women being obnoxious and noisy in public bothers me. So he's not wrong in that sense. Just wrong on his whole "Women know your place" outlook.

I should have just kept my mouth shut shouldn't I ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I have always been an advocate of their membership - not immediately, but once they have socially and economically reached a reasonable point. I'm seriously re-thinking my position on a country and society that can vote a person with such views into such a high office....

It's a Muslim country, those are not uncommon Muslim beliefs, it's hardly surprising, and right or wrong he probably has support for that statement in his country.

We can't go preaching to the world about democracy and then complain when their democratically elected leaders say things we don't like. That is democracy at work, like when Uguanda had the anti gay laws, the government and people supported it, yet we still told them they are wrong. Obviously we know whats best for those countries, because we're so enlightened in the West.

As for Turkey joining the EU that would be a nightmare. We have a common defense pact, so somebody draws a cartoon and we could have WW3 on our hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nino Brown wrote: »
    and right or wrong he probably has support for that statement in his country.

No he doesn't, if the Turkish social media response is anything to go by. There are a couple of supporters, but his stance is being widely ridiculed.

It's a Muslim country...

Turkey is a secular republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The ones who rant on about "moral corruption" are usually the biggest deviants of them all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hope these dimwitted narrow minded closeted Turkish polititians keep coming out with rubbish like this.

Anything which set their chances of joining the EU back by a few years every time one of them opens their trap can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

No he doesn't, if the Turkish social media response is anything to go by. There are a couple of supporters, but his stance is being widely ridiculed.

Have a read of this, he's been saying these things for a long long time now, and where is he? Running the country!
    Social media responses are generally an awful representation of how the general public feel about anything.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/turkish-prime-minister-erdogan-targets-women-s-rights-a-839568.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Thank God for that.

I'm a stand up and when I recently performed there, noticed women weren't belly laughing.

I had thought I was shit or something. This explains it.

Course, doesn't explain why the men weren't laughing either though. Out of politeness cause the women couldn't I expect.

Have a read of this

Yes, I'm aware of his stances on women's rights, but you'll see that the article you link to says that "women in Turkey are enraged by his latest comments on abortion" - so while he has some backing, my point is that it's by no means widespread support.

Edit: NB - that article is about the PM, not the deputy - who is given to emotional displays in public himself, hence the ridicule for the laughter comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭The Singing Beard

Ehh I think you need a politics lesson.

Firstly why should everyone in Turkey suffer without membership just because of him.

They hardly knew his views on laughing women before he got into office.

And the pm and deputy pm are not elected. The president is elected and he or she nominates the pm and deputy pm.

Remember voting for the president??? Did you vote the Taoiseach and Tánaiste into office??? Didn't junk so. The Tánaiste and Taoiseach are our equivalents of pm and deputy pm.

Idiotic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

islamic rule is feck all about religion and more about power and control of the masses by a few corrupt individuals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It's a Muslim country, those are not uncommon Muslim beliefs, it's hardly surprising, and right or wrong he probably has support for that statement in his country.

We can't go preaching to the world about democracy and then complain when their democratically elected leaders say things we don't like. That is democracy at work, like when Uguanda had the anti gay laws, the government and people supported it, yet we still told them they are wrong. Obviously we know whats best for those countries, because we're so enlightened in the West.

As for Turkey joining the EU that would be a nightmare. We have a common defense pact, so somebody draws a cartoon and we could have WW3 on our hands.

Well, that's only half the picture, isn't it?
    Democracy without guaranteed human rights for all is nothing but mob rule, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

To be fair, it's not only the Turks who think that way

Actually, are we sure he's a politician? Could he be a 1950s British "comedian"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Doesn't make it any more daft though.
    Actually "we" are. I know this can upset the hippies and moral equivalence types out there, but the fact is some cultures are quite simply better overall than others and yes the west is more enlightened, more liberal, more objective and more accepting of difference for the most part. Significantly so compared to some.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

What a load of (Istan)bullshít...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Aglomerado wrote: »
    What a load of (Istan)bullshít...

Fair play to you, doing your part to keep the women out of trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

dub_skav wrote: »
    Fair play to you, doing your part to keep the women out of trouble

I am a wimminz! :D:D:D:D (And I'm laughing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

This is similar to the argument people often make that having their statements criticized is an attack on their free speech. We ABSOLUTELY can complain about democratically elected leaders saying things we don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

...and this is why Turkey will never be allowed into the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Prob already said but "Fraped on Facebook" We have some characters too.

...and this is why Turkey will never be allowed into the EU.

This is true. From the European Commission website:
    The EU operates comprehensive approval procedures that ensure new members are admitted only when they can demonstrate they will be able to play their part fully as members, namely by:
    • complying with all the EU's standards and rules
    • having the consent of the EU institutions and EU member states
    • having the consent of their citizens – as expressed through approval in their national parliament or by referendum
    • allowing their wimminz to laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ooh.

Who stole your sunshine? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Candie wrote: »

I'm going to call a friend and swap a recipe while laughing hysterically, just to spite him.

Sure why not. The man goes around like some kind of Viagra monster but it's the women who are on the receiving end of honour killings. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I have no problem with women laughing out loud in public, it's worse when they laugh out loud 'in private'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Arinc also slammed the excessive use of mobile phones in Turkish society, with women "spending hours on the phone to swap recipes"
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Mwahahahahah

Just did

• Advertisement
Advertisement