Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop quandary

Options
  • 30-07-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ok, here's the scenario:

Laptop has 2 hard drives (1) 120gb with Windows 7 and (2) 500gb with open SUSE. The win7 drive was virtually full and the laptop needed a rebuild. I had intended swapping the two drives around to give me a 500gb Win 7 drive and a 120gb Linux drive

So the other day, I formatted the 500 Gb Linux drive from within windows getting ready to swap them over. Only problem was that I had Grub installed on the windows drive which referenced the Linux drive which no longer exists!

Anyway, I swapped them over giving me a 500 gb blank drive to install windows 7 on. The cd/DVD drive on the laptop doesn't work so I have an external one to use. I have genuine Windows 7 disk to install from but can't get the laptop to boot from the external drive. Yes, I've set it to be first in the boot order in the bios but still no good. I tried copying the disc to two separate external HDDs to see if I could boot from them - no good. I removed the blank 500 gun drive, put it into another laptop, installed windows 7 on it there and then put it back into mine. It starts to load windows and crashes every time. Windows startup cannot repair it.

I'm running out of ideas at this stage. My laptop is a HP Pavillion dv9702ea with 2gb ram (I'm upgrading to 4gb) and it's about 7 years old. I'd rather not have to replace it!

Any suggestions????

Comments

Advertisement