Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good investment in Cork City suburbs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Cork is overpriced. Price equal to 15 times annual rent exists nowhere in the city and people think high houses prices are good. As soon as people heard prices in Dublin were going up they started to raise the prices here. Back on the merry go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Douglas and Bishopstown are the two nicest suburbs of Cork.

Douglas is a pain for traffic though

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

I wonder if Frankfield is really so nice because it is close to the airport and also I didn't saw any shops there. An area like Ballincollig looks for me much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

ChalyIE wrote: »
    I wonder if Frankfield is really so nice because it is close to the airport and also I didn't saw any shops there. An area like Ballincollig looks for me much better.

The problem with Ballincollig and Carrigaline is that they are now approaching a level of population that was never planned for. Ticking time bomb IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

Higher population makes it more interesting for companies, which will provide jobs. Also it might attract shops and service provider to open a branch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Rents for a 4 bed in Deerpark are around 1350/1400 per month and rising.

You could do a lot worse for €280K-ish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- unless you can think longer term- 3 to 5 years is bonkers for buying property. Its entirely forseeable that there may be a crash again- with the abolition of favourable tax treatment on CGT by the end of the year- which could potentially have a lot of investors offloading property imminently. Thereafter- there isn't a lot of money sloshing around- most of it has been chased into the open already........

3-5 years- forget it- 15-20 years, is more what you should be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

there isn't a lot of money sloshing around- most of it has been chased into the open already.......

There isnt evidence to support that, in fact deposits are rising. Thats leaving aside the foreign investment coming in via REITs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

So on a 300k house you are saying legal fees of 3k lol I know a number of solicitors who would love that kind of fee for a transaction my own knowledge such a transaction would cost 1.5k plus VAT and outlays or in other words .5% shopping around may save a few hundred more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

There isn't a lot of good quality housing stock in Cork ATM. If you're looking to buy in the South of the city, personally I'd avoid Douglas, Rochestown and Carragaline. Lovely areas, but a pain in the rear with the traffic. IMO I'd be looking at Blackrock, Ballinlough and Ballintemple which are nicer areas, close to the City centre and good transport links.

No chance of looking at the Northside? Ballyvolane, St Luke's, Montenotte, and perhaps Silversprings/Tivoli might give you better value. Or maybe you can look at the commuter towns like Glounthane, Carrigtohill, and Midleton. Even better value and on the train route.

I second the suggestion that before you decide on an area, check the flood maps VERY carefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

You have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

If you're looking to buy in the South of the city, personally I'd avoid Douglas, Rochestown and Carragaline. Lovely areas, but a pain in the rear with the traffic.

If you're going long term there has been planning approval to improve the infrastructure in this area. Could be a few years coming but I do see property value in these areas increasing significantly if the traffic/commuter problem is resolved.

Eldarion wrote: »
    If you're going long term there has been planning approval to improve the infrastructure in this area. Could be a few years coming but I do see property value in these areas increasing significantly if the traffic/commuter problem is resolved.

If it comes at all!! I wouldn't be banking on it. Council are already squawking about the cost of the Blackpool/Ballyvolane flood relief scheme...

There's good and bad areas everywhere. I'm sure the OP can work out which is which!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Eldarion wrote: »

Its never going to happen in reality. In rochestown you already have access to the link nearby, its getting on there is the problem and there is no space to expand road networks or install bus lanes etc. No room for trains either.

Short of building monorails or overhead metros like the dutch do you will always have traffic in Douglas and Rochestown. The new junction in douglas has only made traffic worse if anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Some people would advise you to buy inside the south link road

• Advertisement
Advertisement