Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good price for Prime Lens?

• 30-07-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a new poster to this forum.

I recently purchased a D3200 with Kit lens and I've been reading and watching lots of material online.

The seems to be a lot of consensus around having a prime lens and so I was doing some research on prices and thought I'd ask for some feedback.

I came across the nikon 35mm 1.8g on currys website for €199

http://www.currys.ie/Product/nikon-afs-dx-nikkor-35-mm-f18g-swm-prime-lens/314868/177.8

Other B&M shops (Berminhams, Camera Centre) seem to be around 20 - 40 more.

I saw it on amazon too for ~145 pounds (about ~188 euro)

So, my question, is this a good price to pay for this lens?

Is there other B&M places I should look out for - I'm based in Dublin

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check out gunns cameras on wexford street too. they're usually the cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Called Gunns today and they had the lens for 210 so looks like currys has the best price for bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

quazzy wrote: »
    Called Gunns today and they had the lens for 210 so looks like currys has the best price for bricks and mortar.

I'd buy it from Gunns anyway. For the sake of a tenner I'd support the small enthusiast store over the commodity chain-store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Berminghams have a second hand one on their site for €179.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

I could have bought mine in argos for €199, my local camera shop was charging €210, I showed them the argos catalog price of €199 and the camera shop matched it so bought it there.

Must use the bloody thing !

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

secman wrote: »
    I could have bought mine in argos for €199, my local camera shop was charging €210, I showed them the argos catalog price of €199 and the camera shop matched it so bought it there.

Must use the bloody thing !

Secman

Might go with that approach and give the Irish / Independant guys a chance.

I'd like to support local business but I'll admit it can be hard at times.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

You can get on for 149 new from Eglobalcentral, hong kong based company but they have a great record. I have purchased two items from them and so far so good.

Advertisement