Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Booster

Options
  • 30-07-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

For the past few years we've had our Broadband with UPC, and up to last October the signal was really good throughout the house. Foolishly however, we switched to Horizon in Oct, and the signal became very poor, especially upstairs. In April, UPC allowed us to switch back to a separate modem, however it's no better than the Horion box, and certainly not as good as the one we had prior to last October.

I've been on to UPC a few times since, and while they've made a few adjustments it's not really any better. I bought a Netgear WN1000 WiFi extender to see if there would be an improvement, but this actually makes it worse.

On my iPad downstairs I'm getting a download speed of about 40mbps using Speedtest. Upstairs this drops to about 20mbps, although sometimes I can get up to 40, and using the Netgear extender I'm only getting about 12mb upstairs.

Last night I timed how long it took the access links on Twitter, and the fastest I could get in was 20 seconds.

Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

greyc wrote: »
    For the past few years we've had our Broadband with UPC, and up to last October the signal was really good throughout the house. Foolishly however, we switched to Horizon in Oct, and the signal became very poor, especially upstairs. In April, UPC allowed us to switch back to a separate modem, however it's no better than the Horion box, and certainly not as good as the one we had prior to last October.

I've been on to UPC a few times since, and while they've made a few adjustments it's not really any better. I bought a Netgear WN1000 WiFi extender to see if there would be an improvement, but this actually makes it worse.

On my iPad downstairs I'm getting a download speed of about 40mbps using Speedtest. Upstairs this drops to about 20mbps, although sometimes I can get up to 40, and using the Netgear extender I'm only getting about 12mb upstairs.

Last night I timed how long it took the access links on Twitter, and the fastest I could get in was 20 seconds.

Anyone any suggestions?

This is the very nature of Wi-Fi extenders, they half the throughput of your wireless network. If you couldn't run a cable you were better to have got a set of homeplugs with an access point

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Thanks for that, I can return the Wifi extender to Amazon for a full refund so that's ok. I didn't know about the Home Plugs, obviously you would consider them a better option, I'll check them out online.

Is there anything I should look out for or are there any brands better than others? I'll be using my iPad or Macbook upstairs so obviously I cannot connect them to an ethernet cable, so do the plugs work wirelessly, or could I plug a spare modem into the plug upstairs?

Sorry I'm new to this so they probably seem like stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You could plug a spare modem upstairs if you configure it as an 'access point' alternatively you could use a homeplug set with an integrated wifi extender.

Advertisement