Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Landlord Problem

Options
  • 30-07-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Myself and the girlfriend have been living in a house for the past 5 months that has been up for sale. We had been told by the letting agent that they were selling it on a buy to let basis, but the house has just been sold to someone who wants to move in. They are claiming that they are entitled to do this as a landlord is allowed to move back into their own premises.

Are they entitled to do this, even though we are only 5 months into a 12 month fixed term lease? (We have been good tenants, paying rent on time, no anti-social behaviour etc etc)

Many thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I dont think they are allowed under a fixed term lease

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm afraid he is entitled to do that once he gives you the 28 days notice provided it's for himself or an immediate family member. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You are entitled to stay in the property for the duration of the fixed term lease, the section 34 clause which allows owners to move back into their properties is applicable to a Part IV tenancy (which technically starts at the 6 months mark).
    To be honest, I would think they are giving you a heads up that the lease will not be renewed. I don't know if they have given you a timeline for the closing of the sale & the move in date of the new owners. You could use this to your advantage though - get them to buy you out of the fixed term lease if they want you to leave it early.

I'm afraid he is entitled to do that once he gives you the 28 days notice provided it's for himself or an immediate family member. Sorry.

No he isn't entitled to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I'm afraid he is entitled to do that once he gives you the 28 days notice provided it's for himself or a relative. Sorry.

Wrong. This only applies under Part 4. If there is a Fixed Term lease in place and the tenant hasn't breached it, then the new owner is obliged to honor it to completion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No he isn't entitled to do that.

Is he not? I was just basing it on this, considering it's a tenancy under 6 months. Apologies if I'm wrong.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

During the first 6 months of a tenancy, the landlord can ask you to leave without giving a reason but must serve a valid written notice of termination, allowing a minimum 28-day notice period.
    If the landlord needs the property for him/herself or for an immediate family member, you must be given the following information in writing, along with the notice of termination:
    • The name of the person
    • Their relationship to the landlord and
    • How long they will occupy the dwelling

edit: I stand corrected, the more you know.

Is he not? I was just basing it on this, considering it's a tenancy under 6 months. Apologies if I'm wrong.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

During the first 6 months of a tenancy, the landlord can ask you to leave without giving a reason but must serve a valid written notice of termination, allowing a minimum 28-day notice period.
    If the landlord needs the property for him/herself or for an immediate family member, you must be given the following information in writing, along with the notice of termination:
    • The name of the person
    • Their relationship to the landlord and
    • How long they will occupy the dwelling

That's a part iv tenancy, not a fixed term one.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

That's brilliant, thanks everyone for all the quick replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saz88

Hello and thanks so far everyone...

The current landlord has sold the house to a new person (not a relative or anything) and this new buyer wants to move into the house herself. We think, by law, that if we are renting a house and if our current landlord wants to move in, we have to move and allow them to move into the house. We do not know if this transfers to the new landlord though. We have a fixed 12 month contract and there is no clause in the contract about the sale of the house.

We have been given 2 months to move out.. They said the sale would be complete in 4 weeks but that they were giving us extra time.

The auctioneer also mentioned that the landlord has health issues and that is why the house is being sold but I don't know if that would come into it..

Thanks!

Saz88 wrote: »

The current landlord has sold the house to a new person (not a relative or anything) and this new buyer wants to move into the house herself. We think, by law, that if we are renting a house and if our current landlord wants to move in, we have to move and allow them to move into the house. We do not know if this transfers to the new landlord though. We have a fixed 12 month contract and there is no clause in the contract about the sale of the house.

We have been given 2 months to move out.. They said the sale would be complete in 4 weeks but that they were giving us extra time.

The auctioneer also mentioned that the landlord has health issues and that is why the house is being sold but I don't know if that would come into it..

Thanks!

That is not true, the existing landlord can only invoke Section 34 of the RTA in a Part IV tenancy, it does not apply to a fixed term lease.

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/terminating-a-fixed-term-tenancy

The landlords health issues have nothing to do with your lease - tell the auctioneer to read up on his tenancy law before he ends up in front of the PRTB for an illegal eviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Thanks!

This is sounding quite strange. It would be interesting to know if the contracts pertaining to the property sale entails 'vacant possession'.

Normally sales are fairly explicit on this point and banks absolutely insist on it prior to drawdowns of mortgages.

The change in landlords should have no bearing on your rights as a tenant in this situation. Unless you have broken your lease, you have rights over the property for the time period outlined. Unless there are break clauses specified and agreed to in said lease.

Fantastic, thank you so much! I quoted bits and pieces of law that I knew to the auctioneer and he kept telling me I was wrong so I am very happy now..

We have been very accommodating with viewings etc etc for the last five months so we were looking forward to just living in the house in peace so this has all been a mess!!

I don't believe the house is even registered with the PRTB so it doesn't look like it will bode well for them!

Thanks again!!

Fantastic, thank you so much! I quoted bits and pieces of law that I knew to the auctioneer and he kept telling me I was wrong so I am very happy now..

We have been very accommodating with viewings etc etc for the last five months so we were looking forward to just living in the house in peace so this has all been a mess!!

I don't believe the house is even registered with the PRTB so it doesn't look like it will bode well!

Thanks again!!

Get onto the PRTB & Threshold for advice - they may be able to intervene on your behalf. Contact the PSRA (http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/index-en) if the auctioneer continues to be a plank.

Great! I have contacted threshold (albeit after a 10 minute wait on the phone!) as you advised and they outlined the next steps to take (reject the written notice of eviction when we receive it and contacting PRTB etc) so that is brilliant.. I will contact PSRA if it comes to it, it is nice to know who to contact in the event anyway..!

Thanks so much everyone! (*Sigh of relief* )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd just add to this- the purchaser may be unable to close the deal- unless they have vacant possession of the property. No lender will lend to a potential purchaser if there is a sitting tenant. This could get very messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

And don't forget the original landlord has your deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Realistically, this is a situation where you decide what notice period and compensation you want and put this forward to the letting agent. i would suggest a month's notice and 4-6 months rent rebate as compensation. Any sensible landlord or estate agent should have worked this out when they managed to convince you to permit viewings. If they have a buyer signed up they will not want to lose out by avoiding compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I'd just add to this- the purchaser may be unable to close the deal- unless they have vacant possession of the property. No lender will lend to a potential purchaser if there is a sitting tenant. This could get very messy.

Could be a cash sale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Given that it seems like you'll be out in 7 months, no matter what, do you really want to stay? I'd it were me, I'd be starting to look for another place now before I get any more settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Given that it seems like you'll be out in 7 months, no matter what, do you really want to stay? I'd it were me, I'd be starting to look for another place now before I get any more settled.

This + about 1 million.

Yes, the law says that you can stay for another 7 months, not just another 2. That's very sweet of it - but karma is a bitch, and works based on what's right, not what's legal.

Yes, it's unfortunate that the house you moved into was put up for sale. But it's one of the risks of renting, and it counterbalanced by the fact that if a crowd of undesirables move in next door, you can just move out. Swings and roundabouts.

Personally I wouldn't even be looking for so much compensation.

Instead, I'd be looking for the right to move out at short notice at any time within the next two months and only being required to pay rent on the place for the time I was actually there. This would totally avoid you paying double rent anywhere.

Maybe I would be looking for my actual out-of-pocket moving costs to, (ie hire of truck / movers for personal effects, plus cost of a mail re-directin and early disconnection fees for any utilities that require it).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

This + about 1 million.

Yes, the law says that you can stay for another 7 months, not just another 2. That's very sweet of it - but karma is a bitch, and works based on what's right, not what's legal.

Yes, it's unfortunate that the house you moved into was put up for sale. But it's one of the risks of renting, and it counterbalanced by the fact that if a crowd of undesirables move in next door, you can just move out. Swings and roundabouts.

Personally I wouldn't even be looking for so much compensation.

Instead, I'd be looking for the right to move out at short notice at any time within the next two months and only being required to pay rent on the place for the time I was actually there. This would totally avoid you paying double rent anywhere.

Maybe I would be looking for my actual out-of-pocket moving costs to, (ie hire of truck / movers for personal effects, plus cost of a mail re-directin and early disconnection fees for any utilities that require it).

Karma doesn't exist.

Stay the 12 months and give the landlord an education in law.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think you should move out, a bad landlord can make your life uncomfortable.

Instead I would be looking for 2 months rent for the inconvenience. (presuming utilities are unaffected by the move)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Yeah, stay the duration of the lease, but don't expect to receive a good reference when you go looking for your next place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The owner should have known that signing you up for the year was going to be an issue. Don't forget to include utilities e.g. Paying sky for the year if u move out in the money agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If anything gets broken, expect long delays if anything breaks, and eviction notice if you take cost of the repair (of whatever broke) out of the rent.

In short, if they don't want you there, they can be very immature to get you out legally. Get out this month, and you can get a house before the yearly student rush (if you live anywhere near a college), as otherwise you may find it tough to get a nice place in the next few months.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

To be honest the attitude of the landlord and estate agent leaves a lot to be desired, over the past few days we've been threatened with court action, we've been told that people will come to the door shouting and roaring at us, claiming my signature on the lease is a forgery, the list goes on and on.

We said that we'll keep our options open, and we'd consider a move if we found a place as nice as the one we were currently in, which I think is very fair given the circumstances. Unfortunately there's not many places around that suit us, and as mentioned above the students will be coming back in the next couple of weeks so the job will only get more difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Its not your house, the house is sold, the new owner wants it, you've been given reasonable time to find somewhere else, why are you being such a pain in the ass?
    You rent, therefore this is the life you choose. If for whatever reason the shoe was on the other foot, would you give a landlord seven months rent if you were moving out suddenly?
    If you want security and long term accomadation, go get a mortgage, buy a house and you can stay there the rest of your days.

Its not your house, the house is sold, the new owner wants it, you've been given reasonable time to find somewhere else, why are you being such a pain in the ass?
    You rent, therefore this is the life you choose. If for whatever reason the shoe was on the other foot, would you give a landlord seven months rent if you were moving out suddenly?
    If you want security and long term accomadation, go get a mortgage, buy a house and you can stay there the rest of your days.

The new owner and the estate agent have ignored the law - the OP is not being a pain in the ass, they are exerting their rights to peaceful enjoyment of their home.
    'Reasonable time' doesn't come into property law, there are defined notice periods stipulated in legislation, they are the minimum notices that can be given to a tenant or a landlord. In the case of a fixed term lease it cannot be broken with notice unless there is a break clause contained in the lease or the tenant breaches their obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Its not your house.

It is their home.
    , the house is sold, the new owner wants it,
    New owner/their solicitor should have known there was a siting tenant and what the legal situation there is.
    you've been given reasonable time to find somewhere else, why are you being such a pain in the ass?
    Because they don't want to get turfed out of their home illegaly?
    If you want security and long term accomadation, go get a mortgage, buy a house and you can stay there the rest of your days
    This is the attitude that makes the rental market in Ireland a complete joke and causes so many issues and hardship for people. Though I suppose you are a builder so there is no surprise that is your attitude.

If the shoe was on the other foot, the landlord would be 100% entitled to chase the tenant for the unpaid rent. And even then, it is not a fair comparison- if the tenant leaves early, in the current market the landlord loses maybe a week of revenue, gets a new tenant, job done; in this scenario the tenant is being removed from their home and will have to struggle to find somewhere else, move personal belongings, change utilities, etc etc. Obviously neither party should be breaking fixed term leases in the first place.

• Advertisement

What's with the attitude? Do you think it's unreasonable to suggest we'll forfeit our lease on the condition that we find accomodation that's a similar standard to the one we're in?

Advertisement