Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skill/circular Saw & Rails - are they interchangeable

Options
  • 30-07-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭

looking a getting a skill/circular saw. I see you can get rails for them, makes cutting straight lines nice and easy. anyone got any experience with them?

if I bough a second hand set eg Bosch, would the rail then be any use if I upgraded the saw at a later stage, to lets say a Makita? or would i have to stay with Bosch, and would all Bosch be compatible with the rail. I think i seen there are different versions, but it wasn't that clear to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I made a simple "straight edge" jig for my Makita saw, similar to the one featured in this article:

http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Article/Making-Straight-Cuts-with-a-Circular-Saw-7390.aspx

I just used two 8' long lengths of MDF, one 6mm glued and screwed to a narrower 12mm strip. The 12mm strip had a factory edge (tested it for staightness anyway). Ideal for ripping large sheets down to size and easy to manouvre. I also made up a 4' version for crosscutting. They work a treat and are ideal for working on your own when cutting large sheets down. Those rails are great too, especially for shopfitting and kitchen work but a lot of money unless you're going to get the use out of them.

Advertisement