Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

But the talk out of loads of teams picking early is of looking to trade down, how ideal that would be. The reason they want to do it is because they don't see much value, so it's hard to see why any team would want to trade up to seven, or nine. Doesn't mean it wont happen, especially if mariota drops, but if someone wanted to trade up for him they'd go higher than seven to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

what time does the draft kick off tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

wouldnt be surprised if neither white or cooper didnt go in the top 4 - winston, mariota, folwer, williams - if that happens you might see some teams scramble to move up - thats when those teams open to trade would be in play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I am puzzled by one thing this year. As I look at it from a high level comparing the top two projected QBs.
    Marcus Mariota has higher pass completion, lower interceptions and is more athletic. The combination of all three gives at least some level of confidence in his NFL potential.
    Jameis Winston has a better W - L record but is significantly lower than Mariota in those three areas. So is it simply Winstons superior W - L record that has him projected as possible no. 1? Surely this is in part the contribution of his team rather than his quarter back value in that W - L record?
    Many of his interceptions the receiver was closed early i.e. I'd be suprised at NFL level to see quarter back stick with the option and throw the ball. You don't throw the ball into heavy coverage unless you have a tall receiver you are confident can win it contested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

BKWDR wrote: »
    what time does the draft kick off tonight?

1AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

paulie21 wrote: »
    1AM

We should just have a thread on saying draft starts at 1am ,coverage at 12 and be done with it!

on sky at 12 - think it starts at 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Sorry if it's asked every other minute, i did try the first post but it wasnt in it, maybe that could be edited to include times etc.

tally ho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I am puzzled by one thing this year. As I look at it from a high level comparing the top two projected QBs.
    Marcus Mariota has higher pass completion, lower interceptions and is more athletic. The combination of all three gives at least some level of confidence in his NFL potential.
    Jameis Winston has a better W - L record but is significantly lower than Mariota in those three areas. So is it simply Winstons superior W - L record that has him projected as possible no. 1? Surely this is in part the contribution of his team rather than his quarter back value in that W - L record?
    Many of his interceptions the receiver was closed early i.e. I'd be suprised at NFL level to see quarter back stick with the option and throw the ball. You don't throw the ball into heavy coverage unless you have a tall receiver you are confident can win it contested.

One played under centre and went though progressions, one didn't (not fully anyway) to put it very short and sweetly.

• Advertisement

Think Winston is a stand in the pocket and deep passer more than mariota - mariota wants to do a lot more option plays and has the speed etc for it - tampa have evans - jackson - jenkins(i think - 2nd round pick last year) as wrs so they want to air the ball out to these guys! Thats why he is gonna go 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

One of Cooper or White will fall if there's no trade up. Redskins could take one, Jets don't think so, Bears maybe, Falcons and Giants shouldn't, Rams definitely should be looking for one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm on UPC so can't watch, it'll most likely be on youtube by the morning and I'll watch/listen that way

it will be on nfl network too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone else think the Eagles are definitely gonna end up with Mariota?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looks like everyone is mocking Amrstead to the niners, which means it almost certainly won't happen. Just hope we don't wind up with another 2012 like draft class. i.e no usable players.

This is a huge draft for the 49ers, if they mess this up they could be rebuilding for a while, get a good class here and it could mean being competitive again rather quickly.

I can see us trading out of that number 15 spot, just not sure in which direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Raf32 wrote: »

I feel like the Browns have more to give the Titans with regards to their picks, so if they want him, and it now looks like they do, I can't see the Eagles being able to compete in that market without giving away something ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mock Draft from 1985...Things certainly would have worked out differently had this come to pass...

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/593242794401132544/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

it seems the Titans want three first round picks for #2. Anyone that gives up three firsts for Mariota needs their head checked!!

phatkev wrote: »
    it seems the Titans want three first round picks for #2. Anyone that gives up three firsts for Mariota needs their head checked!!

Couldn't agree more.

Raf32 wrote: »

starting to worry about it now. id love him if he dropped but some of the rumours are terrifying
    Knex. wrote: »
    I feel like the Browns have more to give the Titans with regards to their picks, so if they want him, and it now looks like they do, I can't see the Eagles being able to compete in that market without giving away something ridiculous.

apparently the eagles have offered two 1sts a future 2nd cox, kendricks and vinny curry.

hate that deal cox is arguably the second best d-lineman in the league the rest is heartbreaking but i could deal with it but if cox is getting traded on top of the firsts mariota would want to be a top 4-5 qb in the league

• Advertisement

starting to worry about it now. id love him if he dropped but some of the rumours are terrifying

apparently the eagles have offered two 1sts a future 2nd cox, kendricks and vinny curry.

hate that deal cox is arguably the second best d-lineman in the league the rest is heartbreaking but i could deal with it but if cox is getting traded on top of the firsts mariota would want to be a top 4-5 qb in the league

That's a terrible, terrible deal from the Eagles imo. Titans would be ecstatic!

I'd be happy as a Giants fan, but the football fan is me isn't, tbh.

another poster said a few pages back that the rg3 trade got 3 firsts so that should be the benchmark personally i think its madness this is a guy that people legitimately feel should not go top 10 and will only work with certain coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

wouldnt be surprised if neither white or cooper didnt go in the top 4 - winston, mariota, folwer, williams - if that happens you might see some teams scramble to move up - thats when those teams open to trade would be in play
    If Williams falls to Oakland, then I cant see them letting him go. In that situation, be interesting to see where the REceivers end up. Most mock drafts have Oakland taking a receiver, providing Williams is off the board.

That's a terrible, terrible deal from the Eagles imo.

I'd be happy as a Giants fan, but the football fan is me isn't, tbh.

thank god i thought it was just me being a homer. i genuinely felt a bit sick in my stomach when i read it. i hope to god its just draft day crap talk

enter Washington from outta nowhere - Did someone say 3 first round picks? We'll take it haha

I am prayin that something does happen tonight.... seems to be so much going around and it really all will hinge on the second pick :confused:

If Williams falls to Oakland, then I cant see them letting him go. In that situation, be interesting to see where the REceivers end up. Most mock drafts have Oakland taking a receiver, providing Williams is off the board.

ya i agree 100 percent and fowler seems to be more of a gus bradley type guy from what iv read.
    williams to raiders is to good for them to pass up add in to his talent that he is a raiders fan and i think they would be ecstatic with that pick

i think they would be mad not to take williams - imagine mack over his shoulder - olinemen and qbs would be ruined!!

does anyone else feel like someone could steal danny shelton in the late first i feel like people are going to hold his 40 time against him even though he's a nose tackle

does anyone else feel like someone could steal danny shelton in the late first i feel like people are going to hold his 40 time against him even though he's a nose tackle

i think he will go between 12-25 - and will be great - if he was still on the board at 30 i would take him for packers - trade second pick for mychal kendericks of eagles and draft a cb in the 3rd!! Id be very happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

danny shelton

He'll go top 20 in my opinion

• Advertisement

i think he will go between 12-25 - and will be great - if he was still on the board at 30 i would take him for packers - trade second pick for mychal kendericks of eagles and draft a cb in the 3rd!! Id be very happy with that!

not sure if we would give kendricks for a pick that late in the second to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

As a cowboys fan, please god let the eagles end up with Mariotta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

If there's an elite prospect in an area of need who's a hometown pick, then it's a no-brainer imo. That's why even though I rate Williams as better than Fowler, I think Fowler is a better pick for the Jaguars and Williams is a better pick for Oakland.

Fowler grew up, went to high school, and went to college all within 3/4 hours from Jacksonville. It's an ideal scenario because in 5 years time when it's time to renegotiate his contract, you have huge leverage in that the guy has now spent his whole life around your team.

Whereas Williams was born in California but went to school in Florida too. However he's already been faced with a choice between Florida and Cali - and he chose the latter when he decommitted from Florida to go to USC. You now know that's where his heart lies.

So if I'm Jacksonville, I'm picking Fowler even though I prefer Williams.

brinty wrote: »
    As a cowboys fan, please god let the eagles end up with Mariotta...

ending up with mariota is fine if he drops the deal above is crazy

Whereas Williams was born in California but went to school in Florida too. However he's already been faced with a choice between Florida and Cali - and he chose the latter when he decommitted from Florida to go to USC. You now know that's where his heart lies.

i also saw him say he's a raiders fan and would love if they took him at 4 i an interview yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me this is one of the poorest QB classes in a long, long time. Winston has all the off the field stuff, Mariota has never shown he can check down, has never been under center and has shown that he panics under pressure. I still think he has the best set of skills in this draft though outside of Winston.

Petty is the same as Mariota as regards the concerns.

Hundley looks to me to be the safest bet of the consensus top four. He needs to be benched for a year though behind an experienced QB and learn the ropes. He has stuff to prove too.

Then there is Sean Mannion who I like because the guy can definitely play the NFL game. He is much like Brady coming out of college in that there are question marks over his zip and his long ball but he has done both just not very often. He too has stuff to work on like getting rid of the ball quicker when faced with pressure. I counted through five of his games and his accuracy when he gets a bit of time is pretty impressive. I went from the snap 1, 1000, 2, 1000, 3, 1000 and his completion rate in that amount of time was pretty impressive. His numbers from last year are impressive when you consider how poor his OL was. He is without doubt the most pro-ready QB in this class imo.

All the rest have too many question marks for me. Conor Halliday actually stands out to me as one that could be develop into a real good one though but that is just a gut feeling more than based off of tape.

Based on all the knowledge available to me and I'm including off the field stuff and if I'm a scout this is the list I'm handing in,

1. Marcus Mariota First round grade
    2. Brett Hundley Second round grade
    3. Sean Mannion Third round grade
    4. Bryce Petty Fourth round grade
    5 Conor Halliday Fouth round grade

* Winston has a first round grade on the field but character flaws are just too much of a concern. He is not worth consideration.

i think petty will be the second qb off the board and i think he will go 3rd just because teams always overdraft qbs. i wouldnt take any before the 5th round personally (outside of the top 2) and i dont think hundley will ever be a good starter in the nfl

not sure if we would give kendricks for a pick that late in the second to be honest

I'd happily give ye Giants pick at 40 for him.

I'd happily give ye Giants pick at 40 for him.

piss off giants :D

• Advertisement

for a player that you want to trade? i actually was being generous and was thinking after to take a cb in the second and trade for kendericks in the 3rd - i dont think they will get much more than a 3rd round pick

As an aside, I really don't want Williams to fall to the Redksins.

Feck playing against that dude twice a year.

for a player that you want to trade? i actually was being generous and was thinking after to take a cb in the second and trade for kendericks in the 3rd - i dont think they will get much more than a 3rd round pick

i dont think they want to trade him i just think he's available because we have two other starting mlbs

kendricks is only 24 and a very very talented linebacker theres no hope he goes for a 3rd.

Anyone else kinda hoping Bucs go and draft Mariota, just to fuck some shit up? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm just waiting to see how the Browns mess this up :p

Anyone else kinda hoping Bucs go and draft Mariota, just to fuck some shit up? :pac:

very much so i think there would be a far bigger market for winston so it would be fun to see half the nfl scrambling to try to trade up to two
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting to see how the Browns mess this up :p

even if they get mariota on a good deal dies anyone believe he will develop into a good qb there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

eagle eye wrote: »
    I counted through five of his games and his accuracy when he gets a bit of time is pretty impressive. I went from the snap 1, 1000, 2, 1000, 3, 1000 and his completion rate in that amount of time was pretty impressive. His numbers from last year are impressive when you consider how poor his OL was. He is without doubt the most pro-ready QB in this class imo.
    You hit on an interesting topic which is pocket time.
    - If a QB suffered many sacks in less than 3 seconds you would have to question the offensive line he had. Could consider upping the rating of his overall rating.
    - If a QB suffered very few sacks in that 3 seconds window and is not mobile did he have a brilliant offensive line or was he shaking off sack attempts with his size and power
    A QBs accuracy in that 3 second window gives you a much better analysis of his readiness to perform at NFL level. Being 6'5" 230lbs at College level will allow you shake off sacks, but it won't nearly as much at NFL level.
    Anyways I just thought interesting area to explore in rating players.

i dont think they want to trade him i just think he's available because we have two other starting mlbs

kendricks is only 24 and a very very talented linebacker theres no hope he goes for a 3rd.

at 24 and with his talent - i wouldnt be surprised if some1 did come in for him - i honestly would like the packers to get him because his is better than every other prospect at ilb!

We would do well to get him as we have a massive hole at ilb

Williams to be Bucs just to mess things up completely! It's not like Tampa are a QB away from being a great team or anything, they should take the biggest difference maker out there and continue with a BPA strategy. Not sure either of those QB's qualify as that.

at 24 and with his talent - i wouldnt be surprised if some1 did come in for him - i honestly would like the packers to get him because his is better than every other prospect at ilb!

We would do well to get him as we have a massive hole at ilb

there is a rumour out there that if a certain player is not there for the green bay pick (possibly mychals brother eric) then the pacers will give there first and third for kendricks and the eagles second. the main reason I'm slow to believe it is that the pacers are the ultimate develop there own guys in house team right now (i.e. that julius peppers being the only non home grown player thing)
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Williams to be Bucs just to mess things up completely! It's not like Tampa are a QB away from being a great team or anything, they should take the biggest difference maker out there and continue with a BPA strategy. Not sure either of those QB's qualify as that.

that would be amazing chaos. will never happen though you have to go qb.

jesus christ i hate draft day if tonight would just get here that would be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm stupidly excited about my first life NFL draft tonight. I watched last year's first round on Youtube at the weekend so I know roughly what to expect.

Is the Sky coverage the same as the NFL Network coverage? If not then which is the one to watch?

• Advertisement
Advertisement