Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Where does everyone think Landon Collins is gonna end up? Giants?

jesus lads a lot of ye not fans of winston I'm not saying he's going to be a hall of famer or anything but he's a guy that you can build a Super Bowl team around. thats something the bucs (and a lot of other teams) have not had it a long time

The more I watch Winston, the more I like him. If he keeps out of trouble, he is going to have a really solid career in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Only awake now :o Thank God for taking today off because I never would have lasted in work today :pac:

Obviously teams will address other needs over the weekend but after round 1 some picks I really like are:

- Cooper to the Raiders. I'd imagine it was hard for them to pass up Williams here but you can't go wrong either way really. Carr gets his reward for showing promise last season.

- Gurley to the Rams. He is special.

- Peters to the Chiefs. Best CB in the draft by a country mile and in a position of need for Kansas. I was praying at this stage that he'd drop to Baltimore. **** you Andy Reid :pac:

- DeVante Parker to the Dolphins. Better than Kevin White who went 7 picks earlier to the Bears IMO. An excellent choice.

Picks I don't like:

- Dorsett to the Colts. This just feels like overkill when you have Moncrieff and TY Hilton. They needed protection for Andrew Luck in a bad way and need some work on defense too.

- Erving to the Browns. He's not good enough to play tackle, guard is debatable and at C they have Alex Mack who signed a 5 year deal last year. Unless his injury recovery is not progressing or they plan on dumping his contact in 2016 it seems a strange one.

Really looking forward to rounds 2 and 3 tonight now. There's some very talented players left on the board. Gregory, the 2 Colllins', Strong, Smith, Williams, Clemmings, Fisherr, Green-Beckham, Perryman, Dawson, Kendricks, Darby et al. Roll on midnight! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ravens have lots of strong possession type receivers with average speed so a deep threat to replace Torrey Smith was needed. Draft a reciever but a specific type of reciever.

6'2"
    212lbs
    4.24 40 time

Sounds encouraging I guess. The Ravens FO stated Perriman was the final player left they had a 1st round grade on and they would have traded out if he was gone.

I fully believe it, the Ravens have a long track record of trading out of the 1st
    Apparently the Ravens wanted Shane Ray - which is why Elway jumped ahead of the Ravens to take him at 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So inward to the second and third rounds...
    Who you guys expecting to be picked up by your teams?

For the Cowboys I think we're looking at Shaq Thompson and Tevin Coleman

Of Gregory is still on the board at 60 Cowboys might take him

Im expecting the Colts to draft another WR and a TE because you can never have enough pass catchers right? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

jesus lads a lot of ye not fans of winston I'm not saying he's going to be a hall of famer or anything but he's a guy that you can build a Super Bowl team around. thats something the bucs (and a lot of other teams) have not had it a long time

He has all the tools, but will he be the guy first in in the morning last out in the evening? Will he spend all his time in the film room like Brady and Manning? I doubt it.

Having the talent is one thing, having the drive and work ethic is another which for a QB i think is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

brinty wrote: »

Shaq went to the Panthers last night.

I'll be amazed if we don't go ILB in the next two rounds. But you never know, Ted might have some Division II guy that no one considered of lined up in the mid rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think he has a bit to go yet before you can even say you could build a super bowl team around him. I don't even think he's a sure thing at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thompson is already gone to the Panthers, I believe.

Would be fairly shocked if Gregory is still on the board at 60. Think he might even be gone before Giants pick at 40, but its hard to say if those physiological issues are worse than originally believed. Or are perceived to be worse by NFL teams, anyway.

I'd really like Mckinney or Kendricks for Giants at Linebacker. Safety, it might be hard to overlook Collins if he's still on the board, even if Rowe or Rollins might fit us better.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    He has all the tools, but will he be the guy first in in the morning last out in the evening? Will he spend all his time in the film room like Brady and Manning? I doubt it.

Having the talent is one thing, having the drive and work ethic is another which for a QB i think is more important.

from what iv heard work ethic is not an issue with him dont think iv heard one source question it

I thought he was very sharp when with Gruden for the QB camp. Was confident and intelligent sounding when discussing plays, formations etc.

I think he'll do fine if he can stay away from Manziel type drama and issue, tbh.

Don't know what level "fine" is, but I don't see him being a colossal bust. Who knows though. Certainly an interesting one to follow.

Knex. wrote: »
    Thompson is already gone to the Panthers, I believe.

Would be fairly shocked if Gregory is still on the board at 60. Think he might even be gone before Giants pick at 40, but its hard to say if those physiological issues are worse than originally believed. Or are perceived to be worse by NFL teams, anyway.

I'd really like Mckinney or Kendricks for Giants at Linebacker. Safety, it might be hard to overlook Collins if he's still on the board, even if Rowe or Rollins might fit us better.

Whoops on Thompson
    Believe cowboys are looking at the same targets as the Giants at LB
    If there's none available Cowboys might look at RB or DE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

You won't be saying that when you see Gino Gradowski at center

Is Gradkowski a good C - not particularly. However, the year he graded as the worst C in the NFL he was playing under Caldwell (a poor OC) and someone who utilised man blocking with no combination blocks. Gradkowski never had a hope given his physical skills. He may or may not be able to play C in Kubiak's ZBS - he wasn't given the chance in Baltimore, maybe because he lost confidence after being benched and/or it may have taken him time to learn the ZBS (only Kubiak knows this).

Either way - the trade was a no brainer for both teams - the Ravens got rid of a player who they were probably going to cut and cost the team against the cap because of the rookie escalator. For the Broncos they gave up what was in reality a 7th rounder for a player who knows the ZBS and who is going to get zero guaranteed money. He will either be cut after TC or will produce and start at C - where he will be a very cheap starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Watching on Sky last night the most common phrase you would hear all night was "I love this pick". They loved every pick. Nothing new I know but when you hear it for almost every player in the first round it ends up meaning nothing.

said it last night and il say it again jets have that line now and with all the cornerbacks they've signed rex ryan has to be going mad this team is literally built for his defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Expecting us (Seahawks) to go center tonight - definitely the o-line anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Has loads of ability and seemingly has a lot of the mental aspects of the game in terms of reads etc down. Its his personality and some red flags that would lead me to think he won't make the most of those abilities. Like look at the issues that have arose at his time at FSU and how he's managed to get off very lightly every time. Fair enough one or two are trivial enough and being a kid - but he seems to compound one bad choice with another for a guy who pretty much knew all eyes were on him because he was going in the top 5. Personally, as daft as it is to say, he could have done with falling down the draft which may give him a wake up call and a chance to develop somewhat.

He's going into a tough setup at the Bucs too where it could go south for the team very quickly.

Winston's crab leg picture has been deleted, so he has obviously already upset someone in the Tampa Bay franchise. Good start! :pac:

• Advertisement

said it last night and il say it again jets have that line now and with all the cornerbacks they've signed rex ryan has to be going mad this team is literally built for his defense

I can't wait for the AFC East this year, and recently its a pile of boring crap for a neutral.

Really liked Dolphins any Tannehill last year and can see them really kicking on after a good offseason.

Bills should improve. And Jets. Well Jets are probably just a QB away from really challenging, unfortunately for them. That D is Super Bowl worthy.

Apparently the Ravens wanted Shane Ray - which is why Elway jumped ahead of the Ravens to take him at 23.

Harbaugh said it wasn't true, but of course he would say that now. No way of knowing really but I was saying on here the last few days that if he was available we'd take him, considering the gushing Harbaugh was doing over him around 3-4 weeks ago when it looked like there was no way he'd fall to 26.

Paully D wrote: »
    Winston's crab leg picture has been deleted, so he has obviously already upset someone in the Tampa Bay franchise. Good start! :pac:

Is that franchise still owned by the Glazer's???
    eating a few crab legs... how stoooopid :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Paully D wrote: »

"Right there, at this spot, I love that pic!"

Watching on Sky last night the most common phrase you would hear all night was "I love this pick". They loved every pick. Nothing new I know but when you hear it for almost every player in the first round it ends up meaning nothing.

in fairness most first round picks are going to be good picks on paper, we know some won't pan out but right now they all look like they could be great players its hard to truly predict busts.

the seahawks 2012 draft was supposed to be terrible and they've gotten at least two multiple pro bowlers. the cowboys where lambasted for taking travis fredrick and then zach martin and now there geniuses for building one of the better lines in the nfl. its hard as an analyst to critasize a pick to much because if you say a guys not good and he ends up a pro bowler people put it as a star next to your name for the rest of your career.

additionally in this draft in particular i dont think there where any bad picks per say I'm not a fan of green bays pick a few teams probably over drafted a bit but every single player than went is a very very talented player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Raf32 wrote: »
    Im expecting the Colts to draft another WR and a TE because you can never have enough pass catchers right? :o

Yea ye are fairly light with only Hitlon, Dre, Moncrief, Whalen, Dorsett, Fleener, Allen and Gore being able to catch passes out of the back field!! Luck could go for 800 pass attempts at this rate.

• Advertisement

I can't wait for the AFC East this year, and recently its a pile of boring crap for a neutral.

Really liked Dolphins any Tannehill last year and can see them really kicking on after a good offseason.

Bills should improve. And Jets. Well Jets are probably just a QB away from really challenging, unfortunately for them. That D is Super Bowl worthy.

add to that the that the pats look to have gotten weaker and it could be by far the most entertaining division this year its probably between that and the nfc west (although the 9ers have had a very very unfortunate offseason)

must say for me pick of the round was gurley if he can get healthy and give that offense an identity the rams could finally live up to the promise. that defense is stacked as it is

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Yea ye are fairly light with only Hitlon, Dre, Moncrief, Whalen, Dorsett, Fleener, Allen and Gore being able to catch passes out of the back field!! Luck could go for 800 pass attempts at this rate.

Im really expecting him to have a go at Mannings record from two years ago now at this rate. Just need to get the line fixed up. Shame that our D-line is terrible :(

Exactly, this year's first round was so boring. No crazy picks, no big names sliding, no trades of note, twitter knowing up to 20 minutes before Goodell announced the pick, Goodell be frustratingly annoying...the whole thing was a massive disappointment.

Last year's first round was A+, this year's first round was F-.

At the end of the day no matter who gets picked where, 50% of the players will be busts, but its the drama of the draft is the reason i watch. There was 0 drama. Any drama was over by the second pick.

Look at this review of the first round: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/166721/thumbs-up-thumbs-down-for-first-round-draft-picks There were 4 thumbs down in 32 picks, everything basically went to plan.

When it gets this boring, the NFL needs to insert some drama, like throw in a random 33rd selection compensation pick and have all 32 GMs duke it out in a Royal Rumble for it...c'mon NFL do it

Exactly, this year's first round was so boring. No crazy picks, no big names sliding, no trades of note, twitter knowing up to 20 minutes before Goodell announced the pick, Goodell be frustratingly annoying...the whole thing was a massive disappointment.

Last year's first round was A+, this year's first round was F-.

At the end of the day no matter who gets picked where, 50% of the players will be busts, but its the drama of the draft is the reason i watch. There was 0 drama. Any drama was over by the second pick.

Look at this review of the first round: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/166721/thumbs-up-thumbs-down-for-first-round-draft-picks There were 4 thumbs down in 32 picks, everything basically went to plan.

When it gets this boring, the NFL needs to insert some drama, like throw in a random 33rd selection compensation pick and have all 32 GMs duke it out in a Royal Rumble for it...c'mon NFL do it

its times like this you really miss al davis "with the 4th overall pick the raiders select ....jj nelson????"

• Advertisement

Im really expecting him to have a go at Mannings record from two years ago now at this rate. Just need to get the line fixed up. Shame that our D-line is terrible :(

Which Manning record?

Honestly, he could lead the league in both TD's and Ints! :pac:

Which Manning record?

Honestly, he could lead the league in both TD's and Ints! :pac:

Maybe he's going for records held by both manning brothers in the one season!!!! :eek::rolleyes:

its times like this you really miss al davis "with the 4th overall pick the raiders select ....jj nelson????"

Oh god we draft misses Al Davis, its fun to reminisce on some of his past first round picks:

Darrius Heyward-Bey
    JaMarcus Russell
    Michael Huff
    Sebastian Janikowski...a fcuking kicker in the first!!!!

Those were the days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Matt Stafford is the only player to have thrown over 700 passes in a season, 727 to be precise. That could be under serious threat.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Matt Stafford is the only player to have thrown over 700 passes in a season, 727 to be precise. That could be under serious threat.

Playing right into the Patriots hands again! The only thing is at least their secondary is significantly weaker.

Oh god we draft misses Al Davis, its fun to reminisce on some of his past first round picks:

Darrius Heyward-Bey
    JaMarcus Russell
    Michael Huff

Those were the days

pretty sure he picked a punter in the first another year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Darrius Heyward-Bey
    JaMarcus Russell
    Michael Huff

Those were the days

That's a real person, I thought that was a boards poster!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ray Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is that franchise still owned by the Glazer's???
    eating a few crab legs... how stoooopid :eek:

Sorry lads, can someone explain this reference? It's lost on me.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, can someone explain this reference? It's lost on me.

he got arrested and suspended a game (or maby a quarter) for stealing crab legs in his senior year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That punter got into the hall of fame.

We can't question that pick realy can we :)

That punter got into the hall of fame.

We can't question that pick realy can we :)

it turned out to be a great pick and i know gay was a genuine weapon but if someone had taken any punter in the first this year people would have lost it

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Damn right he did. And Ray Guy is the only Punter in the Hall of Fame. People are right to laugh at Al Davis over his last few drafts, but there was a time when he was cutting edge. Unfortunately he stayed too long and now his legacy is in ruins. And his Franchise is only now beginning to get off the floor after 13 years of mismanagement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Breshad Perryman looks like Danny Glover and Predator had an affair during the filming of Predator 2 back in 1990. If I was the Ravens, I'd be taking a look at that birth cert.

2naWdZh.png

Notes from La Canfora on the first round. The second round started around pick #25 according to an evaluator:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25170248/nfl-draft-observations-rb-run-coming-niners-lions-win-with-deals
    I must admit, I'm a little let down by the first round of the NFL Draft. It was woefully devoid of blockbusters, and trade activity in general, and the lack of true star power available was telling as well.

The nature of the draft and the three months of hype leading up to it ensure there will be some breathless drama hanging on every pick, but this year things were pretty much chalk up through around No. 27, and after that it was always going to be a crapshoot.

Just felt a little underwhelming is all, especially with so many teams trying to make significant moves. Of course, it always takes two to tango and finding the right trade match was obviously difficult.

Here are a few other things that stood out to me from Day 1, and some thoughts heading into Day 2:

• The teams that were able to trade down did well. The 49ers had both of their targets, Kevin Johnson and Arik Armstead, on the clock at 15. They still got Armstead at No. 17 along with a future fourth and fifth so San Diego could move up two spots to get a running back San Francisco wouldn't take. I get why both teams did it but this was a nice bonus for the 49ers. And, with Nelson Agholor gone, Detroit was able to trade down with Denver, get an immediate starter on the offensive line -- Manny Ramirez -- and then take another offensive lineman with its pick. Seeing how Dallas took the next step after rebuilding its line may have caught the Lions' attention.

• Chip Kelly better hope Sam Bradford finds some pixie dust to rub on his knees and shoulders and elbows. History says the Eagles will be paying the quarterback $13 million to rehab again this year at some point, and if that's the case this team will be stuck in neutral. Kelly was quick to opine how he could have got a first-rounder for Bradford right after acquiring him (from Cleveland). He probably should have taken it and had more ammo for a Marcus Mariota trade sooner. Bradford gets hurt and the clock is ticking until the talk of Kelly going back to college gets louder.

• Tennessee has to start Marcus Mariota right away. If your first message is he can't beat out Charlie Whitehurst or a sixth-round developmental quarterback in Zach Mettenberger, then you took the wrong guy. I'm sure Mettenberger wouldn't mind a change of scenery and with teams still needing quarterbacks I would be shopping him ASAP.

• The Jets would want a king's ransom for defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson this weekend. I've heard that it would take multiple first-round picks to get him. Of course, having Leonard Williams fall in their lap and with Wilkerson wanting a new deal, I can't help but wonder if that price tag comes down at some point. Teams like Cleveland and Oakland have plenty of money still to spend and they're among the group that was monitoring this situation before the draft. The Jets now have three starting-caliber defensive linemen even without Wilkerson. Sheldon Richardson is going to be all over them for a massive new deal in a year. They already spent a ton of money in free agency. Teams will keep exploring this option through a long offseason.

• The bottom quarter of the first round really was up for grabs. Teams told me their boards were wiped clean. It was as unexpected as expected if that makes sense. With so few blue-chip prospects and so much beauty in the eye of the beholder based on scheme, fit, etc., we'll see who found diamonds in the rough and which teams were sunk by an inability to trade out.

"The second round started around pick 25," is how one evaluator put it.

"This draft was always going to be won or lost on Day 2," another exec told me. "That's where the value is. Teams had to start reaching early."

Of the first 27 picks, only one player went who was not on a list of the top 32 players an evaluator provided me before the draft (Shaq Thompson, who would not have gone to Carolina at 25 had D.J. Humphries still been on the board). My mock had nine picks correct out of the first 20 and another eight slotted within three positions of where they actually went ... then all hell broke loose.

• There will be a run on offensive linemen and running backs that could sweep through the first half of the second round. Seven offensive linemen went Thursday (I thought there would be eight, but that was before La'el Collins' legal issues). Jake Fisher and Donovan Smith, I suspect, are two quick picks off the board. As for running backs, the Jaguars, Raiders, Jets, Bears and Falcons could all be in the market.

• I still expect Bryce Petty to be the next quarterback taken and the Bills have done plenty of work on him, as have the Rams, Saints, Chargers and others.

• I have always thought Friday of draft weekend would be the last, best chance for the Vikings to make an Adrian Peterson deal. They were never getting a first-round pick for him but, if Peterson is willing to play for less than he is scheduled to make, someone might ship a second-round pick and a lil' somethin' else Minnesota's way. There's a lot of time between the morning and when picks start being made and a team might decide it's worth going with a 30-year old Peterson instead of one of these much younger, much cheaper alternatives available in the draft ... then again, um, yeah, the odds don't look great.

• I still think it would be a while before a tight end is taken and wouldn't be totally surprised if it was someone less talked about who goes first at that position like Rory Anderson or Tyler Kraft.

• Someone has to take Randy Gregory and Dorial Green-Beckham on Friday. I can't imagine they don't go in the second round, given the potential upside and need. I don't believe La'el Collins gets drafted until the final two rounds, if at all. Another character guy, Frank Clark, could end up as Seattle's first pick. If so, that might hasten the departure of Bruce Irvin, a kid they took a gamble on as a pass rusher a few years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What time does the 2nd round start at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you do a 2nd and 3rd round mock draft ill tell you.

12am GMT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cornerback for my Ravens please at 58.

Wouldn't be opposed to Duke Johnson either if he lasts that long.

Advertisement