Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

What's yer take on Byron Jones.? He was an early 3rd before the combine and now he's getting good 1st round looks. I can't work out whether he's worth the hype or not

limerickfc wrote: »
    What's yer take on Byron Jones.? He was an early 3rd before the combine and now he's getting good 1st round looks. I can't work out whether he's worth the hype or not

to be fair he has some good tape just not a lot of it he's probably a late first early second i think his combine just made people go back and look at the tape rather than bump him up for being an athlete

How would you rate him compared to the other top Cb's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

While we are going slightly off topic the Ross Tucker football podcast is usually decent too. Little bit of talk around that Winston may not be nailed on a 1 as the Bucs had Mariota in and might see him as less of a risk than Winston. I don't really buy it, still think Winston will go 1. Has anyone seen any draft analysis say otherwise lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

My top 5 CB's.

1. Trae Waynes
    2. Kevin Johnson
    3. Marcus Peters
    4. Alex Carter
    5. Byron Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Marcus Peters has always been my #1 CB and frankly he's the only I'd consider picking in rounds one or two. The others I think are being ranked highly purely because of the shortage of talent at the position.

I'm a bit 50/50 on peters..I really like his coverage abilities and size but in terms of tackling and the more physical parts of the game I think he's pretty poor..I like pj Williams myself but iv always had a soft spot for physical don't back down types of players

How would you rate him compared to the other top Cb's
    1. trae waynes
    2. kevin johnson
    3. jalen collins
    4. byron jones
    5. marcus peters

id have marcus peters higher as a player but he's got off the field issues. also jalen collins might be a reach at that stage but I'm pretty high on him

honourable mention to pj williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Think we jinxed him after mentioning him in the last few comments..I see a lot of mocks now have peters as the 1st CB going in the draft..less than. Month left now ðŸ˜Â႒

• Advertisement

idiots seriously i can't say it enough. you just have to be good for a few months :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

idiots seriously i can't say it enough. you just have to be good for a few months :mad:

3 certainties in life: Death, taxes & NFL draft prospects being morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Mariota quite shy and introverted on Gruden's QB camp. Didn't come across as a natural leader at all (wouldn't read too much into it anyway).

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Mariota quite shy and introverted on Gruden's QB camp. Didn't come across as a natural leader at all.

i think thats overrated to be honest ideally you want it but the likes of flacco and eli have won superbowls and there hardly the most vocal of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Flacco is awkward in dressing room videos and in interviews too. Also the worst actor ever in advertisments :rolleyes:

Doesn't affect his leadership at all

Give me that anyday over Philip Rivers screaming criticism at the linemen on the sidleline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Flacco is awkward in dressing room videos and in interviews too. Also the worst actor ever in advertisments :rolleyes:

Doesn't affect his leadership at all

Give me that anyday over Philip Rivers screaming criticism at the linemen on the sidleline

Hey leave Philip out of this!! :rolleyes:

Philip's an angel... doesn't even use swear words. Gets worked up but it'll just be lots of gollys and goshs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i think thats overrated to be honest ideally you want it but the likes of flacco and eli have won superbowls and there hardly the most vocal of people.

Superbowls aren't really a great measure of how good a QB is though.

no but its unusual to win a quperbowl without a good one. I'm not a fan of either but they've shown the ability to lead there team particularly in the playoffs i think both are the unquestioned leader of there team.

joe montana was another who was not a guy that roared at people a lot but he was a pretty decent leader to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yet its why the likes of Rivers and Romo are behind say, Big Ben, in the talks of great QBs, despite me thinking both are better than him.

Complete tangent, I know. But I wanted to say it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

no but its unusual to win a quperbowl without a good one. I'm not a fan of either but they've shown the ability to lead there team particularly in the playoffs i think both are the unquestioned leader of there team.

joe montana was another who was not a guy that roared at people a lot but he was a pretty decent leader to say the least

I dsiagree on them being unquestioned leaders. I think Ray lewis was the unquestioned leader of the Ravens when they won their last superbowl. I think Eli Manning had a team stacked with excellent defensive talent when they won both of their superbowls. This is not to take away from the performance of Eli or Flacco in the play-offs/Superbowls. Both were amazing but that doesn't make them unquestioned leaders in my eyes. Joe Flacco is probably the default leader now but for me he's not the type of QB who inspires confidence. He's simply not consistent enough. The same with Eli.

Eli has always taken the back seat in terms of vocal leadership, thats for sure. In 07, he wouldn't have been anywhere near that leadership role, with Strahan being the real dominant voice.

Last season with the departure of Tuck, Eli probably had the most responsibility, but he still had the likes of Role being the main voice of the group, and then players like Jennings came in and became a big voice for the offense.

Next year will be his first real season as the main go to guy for the Giants, really, and that's his 12th year in the league.

He's a great example to young players in terms of preparation and obviously being one of the biggest names in football, but yeah, I would be worried if he was meant to be the main personality, or voice, for the Giants going into next season.

Some players only respond to that loud, in your face, passion and personality, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He was nothing without John Candy.

He was nothing without John Candy.

:D I get that reference although I have no fecking idea where I heard it that's what made me think of him though hardly leader material

I dsiagree on them being unquestioned leaders. I think Ray lewis was the unquestioned leader of the Ravens when they won their last superbowl. I think Eli Manning had a team stacked with excellent defensive talent when they won both of their superbowls. This is not to take away from the performance of Eli or Flacco in the play-offs/Superbowls. Both were amazing but that doesn't make them unquestioned leaders in my eyes. Joe Flacco is probably the default leader now but for me he's not the type of QB who inspires confidence. He's simply not consistent enough. The same with Eli.

I would say Eli was the leader for the second Super Bowl and flacci is leading a team that is performing well now.

For the record I'm not a huge fan of either (and with regards Eli in particular i think he's way overrated) but they are quiet qbs and they have won superbowls as leaders or lead successful teams in my opinion. There are plenty more they are just the first two tht came to my mind

Knex. wrote: »
    Yet its why the likes of Rivers and Romo are behind say, Big Ben, in the talks of great QBs, despite me thinking both are better than him.

Complete tangent, I know. But I wanted to say it :pac:

V interesting opinion... hate to say it but I'd probably take Big Ben over both.

Having said that I reckon Rivers would have a ring now if he had Big Ben's supporting cast.

• Advertisement

Too big to post directly, but I put this together earlier. Just a purely statistical exercise, not making any predictions.

http://i.imgur.com/qrswV1b.png

Bryce Petty comes across as an absolute gunslinger

Bryce Petty is an absolute gunslinger

That freakish TCU/Baylor game may be skewing his stats slightly, but yeah his attempts really do stand out.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    V interesting opinion... hate to say it but I'd probably take Big Ben over both.

Having said that I reckon Rivers would have a ring now if he had Big Ben's supporting cast.

In his early years, (The SB years, really), Ben wasn't asked to do massive amounts, such was the talent on that roster. Similar to Wilson with Seattle, I suppose.

I think a lot of QBs could have won SBs with Pittsburgh during that time, tbh. Now, I don't want to diminish Big Ben's achievements much, as he has obviously been a great QB, just that I would definitely take Romo, Rivers, and even Eli ahead of him.

The latter may well be bias, however.

That freakish TCU/Baylor game may be skewing his stats slightly, but yeah his attempts really do stand out.

My God. Must go watch that game.

• Advertisement

My God. Must go watch that game.

15 minute version here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Definitely rooting for Jean Sifrin after reading this:

Jean Sifrin is 27 - MMQB

Wow, I'd no idea Sifrin had declared. He and Rodney Mills had a bit of a Gronk/Hernandez combination going at UMass that was fun to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Doriel Green Beckham and Marcus Peters in Baltimore for a private workout

They'd fit team needs anyway which are primarily a No.1 receiver and a starting cornerback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Winston on Grudens QB camp if anyones interested

Probably not a great sign when your own lawyer says you're not ready for the off-the-field aspect of being an NFL player:
    "Jameis is ready to be an NFL player on the field," Cornwell said, via BuzzFeed Sports. "He's not ready to be an NFL player off the field."

The WR pool for this draft is crazy

Eric Rowe guys.? He has good size for a CB but I don't know much about him..have ye any take on him ( I know I could check a few sites for some quick info but I find Yer takes more personal and not just the same stuff that's on every site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Eric Rowe guys.? He has good size for a CB but I don't know much about him..have ye any take on him ( I know I could check a few sites for some quick info but I find Yer takes more personal and not just the same stuff that's on every site)

Will likely move back to FS rather than stay at corner. Has very good size at 6"1 and over 200lbs. His Ðraft stock is all over the place (anything from 2nd to 5th round depending on where you look). I like his athleticism & the physicality he plays with (great in run support). Looks to have good speed as well so overall a very solid prospect.

Cheers mate..not long left now I can't wait..each team could go in so many different directions theirs bound to be a few crazy moments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The WR pool for this draft is crazy

I'd be bit wary of the way this years WR pool is being hyped. The college season finished months ago and at that point just a few names were being mentioned as being likely first rounders, but now months later the pre-draft coverage seems to be awash with wide receivers expected to be taken in the first round(Mike Mayock says 8 have first round grades and he expects 6 to be taken in the first round, but are there that many teams whose need for a wr would see them take one in the first round ?)

None of these players have played a game recently, so presumably their rising profile is largely/solely due to their showing at the combine and personal workouts, but surely history has shown that players that excel at the combine don't always star in the NFL (workout warriors), indeed the late Raiders owner Al Davis was pilloried year after year for placing physical attributes over actual on the field college production.

Give me a college star anyday over a guy that was okay in college but had a fabulous broad or vertical jump. NFL games are played on the field, so surely on the field stats should be the dominant factor in drafting players.

How many would you value as 1st rounders yourself.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

How many would you value as 1st rounders yourself.?

I haven't seen many of the first round candidates play, but based on the so called expert mock drafts online in January/February, which would have been based on their college production, (rather than the combine and several weeks of vigorous promotion behind the scenes by agents etc since the combine), I would say that Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker and Devin Smith would seem to be genuine first round picks, while the likes of Sammie Coates, Breshad Perriman and Jaelen Strong have only emerged as potential first round picks in the past six weeks.

I don't see six wide receivers going in the first round, unless the top four names go very early and several other teams looking for a receiver, decide to reach for one. Personally though, if there are really eight wide receivers with first round grades(as NFL draft guru Mike Mayock believes), then that must be great news for teams looking for a wide receiver and drafting early in the second round such as the Raiders, as they could grab a top defensive player in round one and still get a wide receiver with round one talent at the top of the second.

Here is an interesting article about the risks of drafting a wide receiver in the first round, its a few years old, but even recent Superbowl winners do not feature many/any wide receivers drafted in the first round, among their ranks
    www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/explosive-draft-day-findings/5177/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In his early years, (The SB years, really), Ben wasn't asked to do massive amounts, such was the talent on that roster. Similar to Wilson with Seattle, I suppose.

I think a lot of QBs could have won SBs with Pittsburgh during that time, tbh. Now, I don't want to diminish Big Ben's achievements much, as he has obviously been a great QB, just that I would definitely take Romo, Rivers, and even Eli ahead of him.

The latter may well be bias, however.
    In his second Superbowl win he showed great clutchness which only Eli has shown of those three. Rivers and Romo have never proven themselves when it matters most and it would be idiotic to take either of them over Big Ben.

I'm not a fan of Big Ben, I dislike him immensely but you cannot take away the clutch element of this game. Rivers and Romo will always have question marks when it comes to that.

I agree on the WRs being over-hyped. Right now I see only 2 being NFL ready. They are Cooper (far and away the best in this draft) and White. The rest are late first/second rounders. Coates has to be the biggest joke of them all. I wouldn't pick him in the first 5 rounds. Even Perriman isn't all that. Doesn't seem tough enough for me.

Yer man Strong is a bit of a sleeper for me, could slide to 2nd round but end up being second best WR in the draft after Cooper.

eagle eye wrote: »
    In his second Superbowl win he showed great clutchness which only Eli has shown of those three. Rivers and Romo have never proven themselves when it matters most and it would be idiotic to take either of them over Big Ben.

I'm not a fan of Big Ben, I dislike him immensely but you cannot take away the clutch element of this game. Rivers and Romo will always have question marks when it comes to that.

Idiotic? Ah now.

Anyone got the Mariota Gruden QB camp. Apparently plaster board has more charisma. I was really impressed with Winston, his interception problem seemed to be him just favouring one reciever which is easily ironed out.

Lots of talk that the Buccaneers will draft Mariota with the #1 pick now.

It has been said by a few people with connections today (Jaws at ESPN for one) but the one I'd find most interesting would be Joe Bussell:

https://twitter.com/NFLosophy/status/587647857814966272

For those unfamiliar, Bussell actually worked with the Buccaneers front office a few seasons ago. He used to post anonymously on Twitter for quite some time and from what I've seen of his tweets over the years, isn't in the business of making things up willy-nilly.

With the stuff Winston's lawyer has said about him not being ready for the off-the-field aspect of being an NFL player, suggestions that he may face another sexual assault case, and Yahoo reporting that the Glazers are worried about the PR impact of drafting Winston, it could well be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

to be fair he has some good tape just not a lot of it he's probably a late first early second i think his combine just made people go back and look at the tape rather than bump him up for being an athlete

Personally don't get the Byron Jones love. Some of his tape is knowhere near Rd 1 level imho.

Then you have the shoulder injury, which he has a history of, and he's yet to play to prove he's recovered from it unless you count catching balls in his shorts.

• Advertisement

For anyone buying into the "Mariota 1st overall pick" rumours (and Jameis' agent's comments don't exactly fill me with confidence - sounds like excuse making already), you can get Mariota @ 8/1 as first overall pick on BetWay, who will match any deposit a first-time user makes up to €50. That would be an €800 return - fingers crossed :)

Advertisement