Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Visual or not

• 30-07-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

My car failed the NCT test about a week ago on an inner front drive boot being torn. Now I've replaced it, and it can be seen by either looking under the bonnet, or locking the wheel out. It does not need to go into the lane, but it looks like on my fail report that I have to pay €28 for a retest.

Surely that can't be the case if a lane isn't needed? If I go back to the centre now, will I be told that I have to pay, even though it doesn't require a lane for inspection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

My car failed the NCT test about a week ago on an inner front drive boot being torn. Now I've replaced it, and it can be seen by either looking under the bonnet, or locking the wheel out. It does not need to go into the lane, but it looks like on my fail report that I have to pay €28 for a retest.

Surely that can't be the case if a lane isn't needed? If I go back to the centre now, will I be told that I have to pay, even though it doesn't require a lane for inspection?

They assume that some degree of disassembly of the front suspension, wheel hub etc is required to replace the boot and they will put the car back into the lane to check that all is still OK with tracking and suspension setup again. That is why they put €28 reinspection charge. Caught me a few times with stuff like this. I'm afraid you have no other way but to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for that Dermo.

I don't agree with their thinking since only the bottom ball joint is removed, and is non adjustable, but it's a way to get an extra €28. I already had another car fail on 2 front links that weren't even worn. They weren't expensive, and I got them assuming they were worn, but they were perfect. I don't mind replacing something for legitimate reasons, but after that I grew very cynical with them.

As a side, it got a fail/advisory because the 2 rear seats of the car (a 7 seater) were folded down, citing no seat fitted. Lol.

Advertisement