Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Speedmax Al 9.0 SL

Options
  • 30-07-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hey lads, thinking of getting one of these, alu but reviews are great, 8.9kg and full SRAM force 22 with reynolds strike wheelset for 2300.or save a grand and go with shimano 105 with mavic cosmics ..anyone on this have a canyon TT?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

alu for 2300? i know they are nice wheels but that's carbon money

i know it's not all about carbon vs alu in price terms, but for most going for alu is because it is cheaper. i've recommended the alu canyon's in the past, one of the guys i cycle with has noe based on my recommendation, but that was for under a grand. at over 2k, i;d be going carbon as a longer term investment.

long way of saying if it were me and i was getting the alu either way, i'd be going the cheaper route i think, maybe flog the wheels if you don;t like them and look to upgrade, set of zipps 2nd hand or something

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

hey lads, thinking of getting one of these, alu but reviews are great, 8.9kg and full SRAM force 22 with reynolds strike wheelset for 2300.or save a grand and go with shimano 105 with mavic cosmics ..anyone on this have a canyon TT?

Shameless plug:

How about a cervelo S5 with clip on aerobars, as aero as a p4:

http://aerogeeks.com/2014/01/29/cervelo-s5-final-thoughts/

http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/fs-2013-54-cm-cervelo-s5-ultegra-6700/7383782

Two bikes in one....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamescantwell

thanks lads, iv just bought a canyon al ultimate slx and its the business, so im not in the market for the cervelo (even though it looks class)
    just curious as to whether there are massive advantages of carbon over hig grade alu or is it just all marketing??

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

thanks lads, iv just bought a canyon al ultimate slx and its the business, so im not in the market for the cervelo (even though it looks class)
    just curious as to whether there are massive advantages of carbon over hig grade alu or is it just all marketing??

I ride a canyon Alu road bike as my road race bike. I also have a full carbon TT bike. I'd have no hesitations in buying a canyon Alu TT bike next time round if I could get it with my bike to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

probably not much advantage with a carbon TT bike vs alu TT as most TT's/Tri's courses are on flat or rolling terrain where the weight penalty of an aluminium frame (generalisation, some alu's are lighter) wont mean much. Stiffness to weight is generally considered better with carbon frames so they should accelerate better when you need to increase the power quickly - again not something that will be too important in a TT or Tri race where constant power is required. Enjoy your new bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Uneducated opinion here, but I've inspected lower end carbon frames before and they felt heavy and dead. With the knowledge that there are different grades of carbon and different weaves I'd wager a guess that high-end alu would be preferable to low end carbon.

My 0.02$

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Leaving aside the logical and performance based arguments, remember that you may suffer from carbon envy at races if you have an alu bike - I know I do and at the time I bought my bike it was at the high end of alu bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Ah sure that's like bikes with disc wheels. Take some form of albeit pointless pleasure from passing them :-)

great advice there everyone, yea i have to say that my alu canyon (brand new) is so much better than my 2012 focus carbon..so im v tempted to go with speedmax al...or else throw aero bars on the road bike!! there'll always be envy, no matter what bike we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'm looking at the lower down model on the bike to work, 1999 for Ultegra 6800 & Cosmic Carbone.
    Would like to go carbon but the budget won't stretch to a carbon bike with similar components/wheels.
    They just seem like a very good value deal to me.

Tempted to wait until after eurobike when Canyon will be announcing the 2015 line up, in case there may be further reductions on the existing models. Not sure yet what I'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

As someone considering their first TT bike would you recommend one of these or a Planet X Exocet 2?

In both cases I would probably go for ultra 11 speed and probably pick up a disc wheel for the rear as I have 50mm deep wheel set already.

Are there any others in this price range you would recommend

richieg wrote: »
    As someone considering their first TT bike would you recommend one of these or a Planet X Exocet 2?

In both cases I would probably go for ultra 11 speed and probably pick up a disc wheel for the rear as I have 50mm deep wheel set already.

Are there any others in this price range you would recommend

Hey I picked up the SRAM force 22 reynolds strike wheelset speedmax AL 9.0 SL last week from the factory section of the canyon store. demo model so i got it for €1800...its an incredible bike and unreal spec...lighter and just so much more comfy than my last carbon TT (kuota kalibur)

go with canyon all the way..you wont find a better bike for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

How did you get on with the sizing James? i.e. what height are you and what size did you buy?

kneejerk wrote: »
    How did you get on with the sizing James? i.e. what height are you and what size did you buy?

The PPS system is a bit off, it was telling me I was a Medium but I was convinced I'm a small, so I emailed them with my measurements and they recommended a SMALL for both my Ultimate AL SLX and my Speedmax...they are both a perfect fit for me and I'm very happy i didnt go with Medium...I'm 175cm tall, 82cm inseam

Advertisement