Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Eircom Wireless Broadband for the first time

Options
  • 30-07-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this issue ASAP!

The other day I phoned up Eircom at the request of my grandmother and got her old dial-up internet upgraded to a wireless broadband connection, as part of a package with her monthly phone bill.

The modem came today, and although I followed to instructions given, there's something not quite right. As instructed, we connected the power cable to the modem and plugged it into the wall, we connected the 'splitter' into the wall and connected one lead to the main phone and the other also to the modem.
    An ethernet cable was also included, and this is where we started to get confused.
    I understand that one end of the ethernet cable is meant to connect to the modem, and the other to the back of the computer. However, this isn't possible for her, given the distance between her computer and the telephone.
    I tried to set everything up simply ignoring the ethernet cable, but this didn't work. I thought it might as since we requested wireless broadband, why would a cable need to be connected between the modem and the computer?
    For our broadband at home I am able to access the internet from my laptop, without any cables connecting it to the modem.
    Can someone clarify this for me, and maybe point out where we are going wrong?

It's also a very old DELL PC that she has, so even once the modem is set up correctly, we are not sure how to establish the connection on the computer. I did what the instructions said and searched for available wireless networks, but nothing.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Does the pc have wireless? You could just buy a longer Ethernet cable which would mean no setting up or passwords etc, just plug it in. The modem they supply is wireless, the password for the network will be on a label underneath. You would normally plug in a pc if it's near the modem, wireless is for mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

So after a few more hours messing around with it and ringing a few people, we think the problem is that the PC is too old and does not have a wireless adapter installed. I've been recommended to get my hands on some kind of USB device which would link the model and the PC together and enable a wireless connection.

biohaiid wrote: »
    So after a few more hours messing around with it and ringing a few people, we think the problem is that the PC is too old and does not have a wireless adapter installed. I've been recommended to get my hands on some kind of USB device which would link the model and the PC together and enable a wireless connection.

Which would then need installing a driver and the wireless network would need configuring. It's much easier to get a longer cable if it's in the same room, no configuring, just plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Which would then need installing a driver and the wireless network would need configuring. It's much easier to get a longer cable if it's in the same room, no configuring, just plug it in.

Thing is its not in the same room and having cables going all over the place wouldn't be safe for my grandmother. Plus, the only reason she upgraded her package was to get wireless, so she's happy enough to go through the motions.

biohaiid wrote: »
    Thing is its not in the same room and having cables going all over the place wouldn't be safe for my grandmother. Plus, the only reason she upgraded her package was to get wireless, so she's happy enough to go through the motions.

Sorry, I thought you said it was. Go to Argos/PC World and get one then so, you'll need to install a driver but will most likely get a disk with it to run. then you'll need to configure wireless to connect to the modem. Don't hide the wireless dongle down behind the PC, if it comes with an extension USB cable use that

• Advertisement
Advertisement