Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right time to use filings?

Options
  • 30-07-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Anyone have any experiance of using beer filings to aid the clearing of homebrew? Can it be added to a keg after carbonation?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Finings? Depends what sort. Kettle finings like Irish moss will only work in the boil. Isinglass will work at dispense, AFAIK.

Time is nature's fining.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Gelatin can be used in a corny keg post carbonation..I use 1 pkt of powdered gelatin to clear a keg in around a week...sanitise a mug and put around 1 inch of cooled boiled water, sprinkle in your packet and stir with a sanitised spoon, then leave for 10 min with sanitised foil on top..top up with boiling water stir and leave for 10 min...Open up your keg, fire it in and shake the keg well...repressurise and chill for a week...first two pints will be cloudy then the beer should run clear

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Transfer to a secondary in a carboy, and refrigerate/crash cool for a couple of days or a week.

Even without aggressive refrigeration, it can work really well. I swamp chilled a porter in secondary for only a couple of days and it came out really clear.

Even without additives like gelatin, or other dispense finings, I would expect a corny under refrigeration to drop bright in a couple of days.

Advertisement