Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you make of Joan Burton's Metallica comment?

• 30-07-2014 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/joan-burton-metal-fans-petition-1592574-Jul2014/
    HEAVY METAL LOVERS have started a petition to get Joan Burton to apologise for making ‘disparaging and clueless’ remarks about fans of the genre. The Tánaiste made the offending comments while speaking about the Garth Brooks debacle in an interview with the Irish Sun, published on Friday. In it, she said Garth Brooks fans were not like Metallica fans, who “would be causing problems for the neighbours”.

Metal fans were not happy.

What do you think?

Yeah, metalheads being disparaged as troublemakers ain't anything new, but jesus she should have a bit more cop on. Still, petitioning for an apology seems a bit much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Stupid comment but not entirely surprising, sadly. Still it's nice to see the the government & politicians have obviously sorted out all of this country's woes and have time to debate this issue!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Person with no knowledge of metal makes a sweeping, idiotic, statement. Shocking. She should apologise, but I don't care too much if she doesn't. It's not like her opinion would matter a damn to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mick121

usual rubish just because you listen to loud music and maybe dress a tad down doesnt make you a psycho.I remember many moons ago being a regular in fibbers off parnell st and hardly ever seen trouble.Infact several times taxi men stated that they would pick up regulary from there and have no problem with the people.They would say there was more chance of hassle from a "normal disco/nite club" because of the mixture of people than the people in fibbers.Man i miss that place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Angron wrote: »
    It's not like her opinion would matter a damn to me.

Yeah, but considering she's Tanaiste and should have a bit more cop on, it's such a facepalm worthy moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Joan Burton and The Sun... well matched, both full of shyte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Links234 wrote: »
    Yeah, but considering she's Tanaiste and should have a bit more cop on, it's such a facepalm worthy moment

Not only that she's minister for social protection (not for all classes it appears).

Stupid comment all the same heard the lad from that band on the radio who set up the petition by chance, funny how he used a chunk of the interview to plug their new CD prob the real agenda he also invited Joan to a gig.

If booze is consumed in large quantities and then someone has the mentality to piss in someones garden they will whether they listen to Garth Brooks or Metallica or neither.

Too many forced apologies for feck ups from this government this would rank near the bottom of the list. Apology not necessary just don't throw the likes of her a vote in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It's such a non-story

Stupid comment all the same heard the lad from that band on the radio who set up the petition by chance, funny how he used a chunk of the interview to plug their new CD prob the real agenda he also invited Joan to a gig.

It definitely seems like he saw an opportunity and leapt on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Joan Burton in a mosh pit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A pregnant cow giving birth in a field and Joan Burton:

The similarity?

A lying cow in Labour...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭weisses

Ahh let her

At least she makes me feel a bit badass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Stupid politician in saying something stupid shocker! Then again it's not all that surprising that someone makes a sweeping judgement on a bunch of people based on their appearance, sadly far too many people are too fond of doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Metallica deserve joan burton at one of their gigs. Don't think i've ever seen a worse performance than glastonbury this year..and yes she should apologise for using stereotypes, shes a govt minister she should know better

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

As stupid as she is, any publicity is good publicity, so it'd be best not to feed the troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

In fairness Metallica fans are loud and drunk for the most part, and won't shut the **** up excusing the band for being ****ing twats I say fairplay to JoBU.

buck65 wrote: »
    In fairness Metallica fans are loud and drunk for the most part, and won't shut the **** up excusing the band for being ****ing twats I say fairplay to JoBU.

3898460-8864152835-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Most metal fans are actually quite civilized concert goers. They've usually been to a few and know how to comport themselves in a crowd of people. Alot of Garth Brooks' fans, on the other hand, are staid middle Ireland. Housewives and squat, red-faced farmers' sons coming up to Dublin to release decades of quietly brewing repressed midlands frustration, plus Dublin suburbanites doing the same, in a drunken orgy set to processed I-can't-believe-it's-not-country music. Really, who would you rather be faced with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Why would Metallica fans give a crap about what Joan Burton thinks? I never realised metal fans were so sensitive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why would Metallica fans give a crap about what Joan Burton thinks? I never realised metal fans were so sensitive.

People disliking the perpetuation of a negative stereotype, golly gosh - imagine that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

There was a time when the vast majority of Metallica fans (and metal fans in general) would have worn these comments like a badge of honour. Now they start a petition to show how offended they are by the innane ramblings of some middle aged politician.

Things have changed from my day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

If she heard Master of Puppets, she wouldn't have said those comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    If she heard Master of Puppets, she wouldn't have said those comments

Did she not play bass on it? So long ago now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

yknaa wrote: »
    Did she not play bass on it? So long ago now. :)

I thought it was RtL? On live backing vox she was all like, 'Die! Die die! A motion has been carried that everyone motherf*ckin' dies!'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

She's a ****ing idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

She probably heard Load or even worse St Anger. I would be annoyed at that shíte too. At least Hetfield doesn't sound like a drunken banshee like she does.

Advertisement