Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrumentation And Automation

Options
  • 30-07-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi. I am currently enrolled to start this course in september in sligo but I have very little knowledge of the course content........

My background is in construction as a Site Engineer and I have have spent the past 6 months working on a semi conductor site as a construction coordinator.

This is where my interest grew in all things electric / mechanical and electronic and why I decided to enroll in the course.
    Aswell of course as it being part time and online so I can keep down a job while I study.

My concern is however from looking at the course content that perhaps one would need an electrical background?

I am finding it very hard to speak with some institute or organisation who can give some direction on exact requirements to pursue a career in this field

I Would appreciate if anybody could forward on some sites I could view or organisations i could speak with on the new career path. I have already contacted the college but they are very slow in replying. I have also spoken with a few people at work.

Also

If successful with this course what exactly are the career opportunities with a level 6 cert? I presume would further education be required?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As you have met the entry requirements I would think that the course will be starting from basics. I assume that the college is closed for the summer holidays and that is why they are not responding to you.

I doubt that a level 6 will enable you gain employment in this area, but it may be a good introduction.

Can you post a link to the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gz100

2011 wrote: »
    As you have met the entry requirements I would think that the course will be starting from basics. I assume that the college is closed for the summer holidays and that is why they are not responding to you.

I doubt that a level 6 will enable you gain employment in this area, but it may be a good introduction.

Can you post a link to the course?

Thanks for that

Here is link for course

Gz100 wrote: »
    Thanks for that

Here is link for course

I am unable to attach link but it is with Sligo IT Online distance learning.

Instrumentation and Automation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is it this course?
    It seems that it is aimed at crafts.
    What is your engineering degree in?

Correct

I myself have an honours Degree in Construction M

• Advertisement

Gz100 wrote: »
    Correct

I myself have an honours Degree in Construction M

From reading the description (Programme Code SG_EAUTI_N06):

1) This course provides graduates with a "minor award". I would read this as "do not expect to gain employment as a result of graduating from this course".

2) This course is designed to assist suitable candidates gain entry to a level 7 in Mechatronics. In my view this level 7 would "open a few doors".

3) Entry to the level 7 course seems to be for those that have completed the level 6 and have a craft or "substantial relevant work experience". From what you have said it would seem that you do not have either.

4) On a positive note, you have a honours degree in engineering so I am sure that you would breeze through the "engineering maths".

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I have no doubt that you will find the course interesting.

2011 appreciate the feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

2011 wrote: »
    From reading the description (Programme Code SG_EAUTI_N06):

2) This course is designed to assist suitable candidates gain entry to a level 7 in Mechatronics. In my view this level 7 would "open a few doors".

Just to be aware OP that that level 7 Mechatronics course can be completed online in two years (http://odl.itsligo.ie/engineering/automation-and-mechatronics/b-eng-in-mechatronics/) if you get an exemption from first year after the course you intend to do.
    I know a few lads who done it both in the college and online they didn't have much kuck getting work from it, could be down to the people though but it seemed to be way below the level of other level 7 courses in institutions such as DIT.
    If your just looking for the piece of paper it would be ideal though.
    I think 2011 you did DT009?.. there's no way you could do that in two years part time and get a decent grade IMV.

eire-kp wrote: »
    Just to be aware OP that that level 7 Mechatronics course can be completed online in two years (http://odl.itsligo.ie/engineering/automation-and-mechatronics/b-eng-in-mechatronics/) if you get an exemption from first year after the course you intend to do.
    I know a few lads who done it both in the college and online they didn't have much kuck getting work from it, could be down to the people though but it seemed to be way below the level of other level 7 courses in institutions such as DIT.

It may be best fro the OP to do the level 6 and then assess the situation again.
    DIT run doe excellent courses, but it would be a bit far to commute from Sligo :)
    I think 2011 you did DT009?

Yes.
    .. there's no way you could do that in two years part time and get a decent grade IMV.

Agreed.

Advertisement