Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you not get enough of?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shaun Plays Games

Chicken and sweetcorn rolls :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    Pesto. The real stuff.

Been three years without it as a family member has a cashew allergy. Every single bought pesto on the market has cashew. 2 weeks ago went mental and bought the crazy expensive pine nuts to make it myself. Justification -> just harvested the basil and garlic.

Pesto on toast.
    Pesto on meat.
    Pesto on burger.
    Pesto on pizza and pasta and cheese and fish and salad.

Looking for a pesto cocktail. :)

Cashews in pesto? I thought it was just pine nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Honey!
    Started spooning it on my breakfAst, and now cooking with it and eating it by the spoon!
    Nyomnyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Corn Relish from The Scullery

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I wish I had such refined tastes as ye lot.

I can't get enough of anything that tastes half-decent.
    I love chorizo, and rice, and honey in the morning, a nice lamb shank for dinner, anything pig-related (God I love pork...), rare steaks, a lovely chicken roast, bbq'ed fish with loads of herbs. Ms Piggy thinks I'm just a oversized recycling bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Faith wrote: »
    Cashews in pesto? I thought it was just pine nuts?
    Although 'proper' pesto uses pine nuts, you can use all kinds of nuts including cashews. A lot of commercial pestos use cashews, maybe they're cheaper?

BTW, I saw a piece on Jimmy Doherty's Food Unwrapped series on Channel 4 a while ago on cashews. The process the raw product goes through to produce the final nut is amazing ... the nuts themselves are covered with a skin that contains a strong skin irritant. Roasting them has to be done outdoors as it releases a smoke that irritates the lungs can potentially be life threatening :eek:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/food-unwrapped/4od#3606378

(You have to register to watch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Alun wrote: »
    Although 'proper' pesto uses pine nuts, you can use all kinds of nuts including cashews. A lot of commercial pestos use cashews, maybe they're cheaper?

BTW, I saw a piece on Jimmy Doherty's Food Unwrapped series on Channel 4 a while ago on cashews. The process the raw product goes through to produce the final nut is amazing ... the nuts themselves are covered with a skin that contains a strong skin irritant. Roasting them has to be done outdoors as it releases a smoke that irritates the lungs can potentially be life threatening :eek:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/food-unwrapped/4od#3606378

(You have to register to watch)

I love this forum for the mad stuff it teaches me!

On topic: caramelized onions, burritos from Pablo Picante and above all: Lidl jam donuts. They'll never be superquinn donuts but by god they are close. Have to limit myself to 1 per week but that one makes my entire weekend all the sweeter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Aubergines. Cooked slowly and for ages on the grill pan, with lots of good olive oil and garlic. And bread to mop up the oil with.

I am totally addicted at the moment and it is showing on my waistline. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Mushrooms I eat them in everything
    Sun dried tomatoes if ya haven't picked that up :pac:
    Potato salad
    And burritos I can't get enough of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Peeled, deseeded and chopped tomatoes with fresh garlic and torn basil leaves.
    Lots of good quality Irish tomatoes knocking around these days and have lovely garlic from the garden.

It's really not that much hassle to do and is really worth the effort, imo.
    The seeds and innards never get thrown out either - they either get chopped up and added to sauces or just eaten with a spoon.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Birds eye chillies, and crispy chilli in oil. Condiment in almost everything on my plate. From scrambled eggs to spaghetti carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Franks :D I did a terribly embarrasing happy dance when I found out its vegan!

Oh and mushrooms, always mushrooms. I could happily eat nothing but shrooms for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shellfish.

Give me a bucket of prawns and something to winkle out every scrap of meat and I am the happiest of campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Scrambled eggs. Made em for the first time Saturday, ( eaten em umpteen times before)

Flat out scrambling eggs like a fiend now.
    Twas Not wrote: »
    Garlic ! On everything - roasted on toast ! in everything - scrambled eggs !
    The Peanut wrote: »
    Eggs.

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon.

Feta cheese and semi-sundried tomatoes frittata.

Just eggs. Did I mention eggs?

Yep, truly the food of the Gods, good scrambled eggs
    Pesto. The real stuff.

Been three years without it as a family member has a cashew allergy. Every single bought pesto on the market has cashew. 2 weeks ago went mental and bought the crazy expensive pine nuts to make it myself. Justification -> just harvested the basil and garlic.

Pesto on toast.
    Pesto on meat.
    Pesto on burger.

A whole lotta love for pesto, herself goes crazy for it.

Oh and mushrooms, always mushrooms. I could happily eat nothing but shrooms for the rest of my life.

And if scrambled googies are the food of the deities than mushrooms must be angels food, surely that has to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Pesto. The real stuff.

Pesto on toast.
    Pesto on meat.
    Pesto on burger.

I used to be a fecking expert on the price of pine nuts in every supermarket, healthfood shop and ethnic store in my area :o

I've found that the price varies from around 25 euro/kg up to over 40 euro/kg. I think the best standard price these days in in Lidl, they do fairly small bags in the nuts/dried fruit area that I think are around the 25 euro/kg mark.

(My personal best buy was when Dunnes were doing a "buy 2 get 1 free" on their bagged nuts range, so if you bought 3 bags of pine nuts they ended up costing about 17 euro/kg.)

Can you tell how serious I was about getting a good deal on pine nuts yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

B0jangles wrote: »
    I've found that the price varies from around 25 euro/kg up to over 40 euro/kg. I think the best standard price these days in in Lidl, they do fairly small bags in the nuts/dried fruit area that I think are around the 25 euro/kg mark.

(My personal best buy was when Dunnes were doing a "buy 2 get 1 free" on their bagged nuts range, so if you bought 3 bags of pine nuts they ended up costing about 17 euro/kg.)

Can you tell how serious I was about getting a good deal on pine nuts yet?

Lidl don't seem to sell them anymore - was looking for some last week - Lidl Parnell NOR Glasnevin had any; nor were they on the little stickers beside the nut selections where they were before; Aldi had none; Dunnes had none; Tesco had 1 measly bag, hidden in the couscous box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Lidl don't seem to sell them anymore - was looking for some last week - Lidl Parnell NOR Glasnevin had any; nor were they on the little stickers beside the nut selections where they were before; Aldi had none; Dunnes had none; Tesco had 1 measly bag, hidden in the couscous box.

None in Bray either, I checked today :(

Buuut the sign is still there so I'm hoping that maybe some canny shopper is just snagging every bag of pine nuts out of the box of various seed mixes. I really hope they are not gone, the price is 23.80/kg which is very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

B0jangles wrote: »
    None in Bray either, I checked today :(

Buuut the sign is still there so I'm hoping that maybe some canny shopper is just snagging every bag of pine nuts out of the box of various seed mixes. I really hope they are not gone, the price is 23.80/kg which is very good indeed.

That's good that sign still there - no signs in either Parnell or Glasnevin. I looked like a crazy person - I started reading aloud the signs to be 100% sure it wasn't there....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Going through a bit of a fad for making breadcrumbs and egg mix (this is as complex as my cooking gets) then dipping whatever fish is going cheap at the butchers in the mix and frying it, Im making various sandwiches out of this using different breads and sauces from Lidl like those amazing looking lobster rolls you see on Reddit and other American food blogs, cant believe something I cooked tastes so good :D

Also eating 2-3 omelets every weekend with whatever leftover meat there is lying around, barbeque pulled pork and scallions with loads of cheese in an omelet is amazing, same for southern fried chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Buttered salty corn on the cob. So good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Savory pancakes at least once a week. Garlic, spices and herbs in the batter. Mmm delish. (:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Rhubarb stewed in diet 7up! (remnant from my weightwatcher days)
    Cottage cheese (Ive taken to eating the whole 300g tub easily in one sitting....)
    Turnip made into chips (insanely tasty)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@pwurple Thats odd: because this is exactly the time of year that pignoli are falling off the trees in Italy, ripe: its pesto season in Liguria!

I have often wondered if you could grow the tree in Ireland, but I'm not sure just what species/variety it is!

Donkey's years ago, when I was au-pairing in Italy, the child that I had care of used to collect the nuts, mid-to-late August, until the cook had enough to make pesto with a mortar and pestle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Right now, lentil pate... love making it, but love eating it oh so much more.

I've come up with 3 different varieties by now, and can't eve not have at least one of them in the fridge.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Right now, lentil pate... love making it, but love eating it oh so much more.

I've come up with 3 different varieties by now, and can't eve not have at least one of them in the fridge.

Recipe? (:(:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

katemarch wrote: »
    @pwurple Thats odd: because this is exactly the time of year that pignoli are falling off the trees in Italy, ripe: its pesto season in Liguria!

I have often wondered if you could grow the tree in Ireland, but I'm not sure just what species/variety it is!

Donkey's years ago, when I was au-pairing in Italy, the child that I had care of used to collect the nuts, mid-to-late August, until the cook had enough to make pesto with a mortar and pestle.

I'd say it's a job for kids alright, tiny fingers must be needed for pine nuts!

My pine nut obsession continues after the three year drought. Ran out of basil but left with some pine nuts, so have been making pine nut cake instead, with lemons and olive oil.

9vtDsKd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

chinacup wrote: »
    Recipe? (:(:

I've got 3 variations, sun-dried tomato and red pepper, wild mushrooms, and herb.

I'm guessing the measurements as I usually just put in however much I fancy.

Basic recipe :

100 - 150g of lentils (I usually use either puy lentils for the herb recipe, brown ones for the mushroom recipe and yellow ones for the tomato/pepper one)
    1 - 1.5l vegetable stock
    1 small onion, chopped
    20 - 30g of porrige oats
    Salt
    Pepper
    Sunflower Oil

Fry the chopped onion in medium-sized pot. If I'm making the pate with mushrooms, I'll let them caramelise and brown, otheriwse just soften them.
    Add the lentils and cover them with the vegetable stock. Treat them a little like you would a risotto, keep adding stock and let them simmer until the lentils are soft. Don't add too much stock, it should become a thick-ish mixture.

Add the porrige oats, then put in a blender and blitz until smooth and thich. I use a hand-blender which is just fantastic for this job. I usually put it back on the heat and stir it for some 5 or 10 minutes, to allow the oats to absorb more moisture and make it all thicker. Add salt and pepper to taste - don't be shy with it, it should be strongly seasoned.

For the sundried tomato-red pepper version :
    Add some sun-dried tomatoes and a tablespoon of Ayvar (or any other red pepper paste. You could even roast red peppers, peel them and add them) to the mix before putting it in the blender. Add chili as well, if you fancy it spicy.

For the mushroom version :
    Soak some dried porccini or other wild mushrooms in some hot water for 5 minutes. Add the water they've been soaking in to the lentils and onions before you start adding the stock. Add the soaked mushrooms before blending.

For the herb version :
    Add a bit of garlic to the onion when you fry it up. Add a good handful of chopped fresh parsley, thyme and majoran to the mixture before blending.

Let it cool down and use it as a spread on bread or toast, or as a dip for carrot or celery sticks.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've got 3 variations, sun-dried tomato and red pepper, wild mushrooms, and herb.

I'm guessing the measurements as I usually just put in however much I fancy.

Basic recipe :

100 - 150g of lentils (I usually use either puy lentils for the herb recipe, brown ones for the mushroom recipe and yellow ones for the tomato/pepper one)
    1 - 1.5l vegetable stock
    1 small onion, chopped
    20 - 30g of porrige oats
    Salt
    Pepper
    Sunflower Oil

Fry the chopped onion in medium-sized pot. If I'm making the pate with mushrooms, I'll let them caramelise and brown, otheriwse just soften them.
    Add the lentils and cover them with the vegetable stock. Treat them a little like you would a risotto, keep adding stock and let them simmer until the lentils are soft. Don't add too much stock, it should become a thick-ish mixture.

Add the porrige oats, then put in a blender and blitz until smooth and thich. I use a hand-blender which is just fantastic for this job. I usually put it back on the heat and stir it for some 5 or 10 minutes, to allow the oats to absorb more moisture and make it all thicker. Add salt and pepper to taste - don't be shy with it, it should be strongly seasoned.

For the sundried tomato-red pepper version :
    Add some sun-dried tomatoes and a tablespoon of Ayvar (or any other red pepper paste. You could even roast red peppers, peel them and add them) to the mix before putting it in the blender. Add chili as well, if you fancy it spicy.

For the mushroom version :
    Soak some dried porccini or other wild mushrooms in some hot water for 5 minutes. Add the water they've been soaking in to the lentils and onions before you start adding the stock. Add the soaked mushrooms before blending.

For the herb version :
    Add a bit of garlic to the onion when you fry it up. Add a good handful of chopped fresh parsley, thyme and majoran to the mixture before blending.

Let it cool down and use it as a spread on bread or toast, or as a dip for carrot or celery sticks.

Thanks, they sound absolutely gorgeous. I actually have most of those ingredients, never would have thought to make "lentil pate". Look forward to trying this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

At the moment I absolutely Sun dried tomatoes, Mushrooms especially portobello mushrooms and roasted red peppers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement