Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity in shared house

Options
  • 30-07-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

Hi, I moved into a room in a house which was occupied by two others. The other two guys still live here also. When I moved in, I was told they had just paid the ESB bill so I would be contributing straight away. ESB is in landladys name and we pay her. Not a problem for me.

So, I have just received my first bill which is €40 but one of the other lads has only been asked to pay €20. When I moved in I was told that we would split the ESB evenly as it is the only bill that affects all three of us. There is no sky or internet in the house and refuse is included in rent.

What do people think? Should I just pay the €40 cos it's only a small amount or should I ask the landlady why I am paying double what another guy is? This guy does stay at his girlfriends house sometimes but he still uses the shower and washing machine etc. here soshould be contributing a fair share imo.

fwiw, the total bill was €100.55.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

query it, bills for utilities get split evenly if all people have been renting in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's not your bill, so I don't see why you should be paying it. Sounds like you are being scammed by your new house mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Did the landlord get their wires crossed-maybe you're meant to pay the 20 while the other 2 pay 40 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Is it possible that electricity was overestimated previous months and this is actual reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

meeeeh wrote: »
    Is it possible that electricity was overestimated previous months and this is actual reading?

Still should not be charged to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I think you opening post says that you moved into a room that was previously shared by two people - yes/no? If it's yes ccould the LL have been dividing the bill by the number of people in the house & then ie 5 people = €20 each, the charging per room & the two roommates sort it out between themselves = 2 per room = 2 X €20 = €40 for that bedroom.

It'd be a crazy way to split bills but anything is possible in the Irish rental world

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

No. There was just one guy in the room before I moved in so there had always been just 3 people. It's not the house mates that split the bill, it's the LL. I will just ask her why I am paying more. Just wanted to ask would it be a bit pedantic before I query it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Do you get to see the bill? Why is the LL telling you what your share is? Surely that's between the 3 of you in the house to sort out yourselves,ie bill is for 55 days and you're only in house 25 days etc,easy enough to break it down if it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

housetypeb wrote: »
    Do you get to see the bill? Why is the LL telling you what your share is? Surely that's between the 3 of you in the house to sort out yourselves,ie bill is for 55 days and you're only in house 25 days etc,easy enough to break it down if it comes to that.

how do bills work when it comes to electricity. Is it every two months or monthly. moving into a new house next week and not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

how do bills work when it comes to electricity. Is it every two months or monthly. moving into a new house next week and not sure.
    It will depend on your supplier. ESB and Bord Gáis have traditionally done it every second month, but most others seem to be monthly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement