Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Psychology courses

Options
  • 30-07-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    I am thinking (have been for a while!) of doing a degree in Psychology. I already have a B. Ed and was accepted for the DBS H. Dip in Psychology to start in October, however, as I am getting married early next year and have alot on, I have deferred it until next year. This has given me more time to think about it and look at options. And I'm not sure the DBS course is the best one for me - as I have been recently transferred in work, it would be a struggle to make it into the city centre for 6.15pm twice a week - my new location is too far. Also, if anything else happens (babies, etc!! - not that long in the tooth!!), it would also completely change things. Taking all of this into account, I've started to consider doing the full BSc with the Open University, as I could start that in October and work around any other things that I have going on. I may also be eligible for some credit transfer. I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who is doing/did either the OU course or the DBS one. I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who was successful in getting credits transferred for the OU course and did you feel then that you missed out - because you didn't have to complete as many OU credits? I know it would make it cheaper, but I think for me, the learning is as important as the qualification you get at the end.
    Sorry, that was very longwinded!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Hi
    I am thinking (have been for a while!) of doing a degree in Psychology. I already have a B. Ed and was accepted for the DBS H. Dip in Psychology to start in October, however, as I am getting married early next year and have alot on, I have deferred it until next year. This has given me more time to think about it and look at options. And I'm not sure the DBS course is the best one for me - as I have been recently transferred in work, it would be a struggle to make it into the city centre for 6.15pm twice a week - my new location is too far. Also, if anything else happens (babies, etc!! - not that long in the tooth!!), it would also completely change things. Taking all of this into account, I've started to consider doing the full BSc with the Open University, as I could start that in October and work around any other things that I have going on. I may also be eligible for some credit transfer. I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who is doing/did either the OU course or the DBS one. I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who was successful in getting credits transferred for the OU course and did you feel then that you missed out - because you didn't have to complete as many OU credits? I know it would make it cheaper, but I think for me, the learning is as important as the qualification you get at the end.
    Sorry, that was very longwinded!!!

Another option would be th PG Diploma offered by the University of Derby. It is all done online, and gives you accreditation by BPS.

Maybe worth your while, also can be completed in much sorter time period than OU. 18 months I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭SaoirseRose

Hi OP, I've done some research into this lately!

I'm starting with DBS myself this year and I'd actually been swayed by the Derby option Dar100 mentioned also. It looks like a great course and the fees are manageable as you can pay per module. The only thing that put me off was that you need 60 credits in order to go into the H.dip; not sure if you have these already, but if you don't then you'll have to do the certificate first which is an extra year. It is BPS accredited which is why you need the credits, however you also get BPS accreditation from the DBS H.dip as the BPS honours the PSI accreditation.

If you really need more flexibility, then I think the only negative is the extra year if you go with Derby, there's very little in the fee difference even including that year. I went with DBS because timing wise it works out okay for me now, and I'd like to get it done sooner rather than later given that I've an MA ahead of me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eruanna

I did the DBS course and enjoyed it. It's not easy and there's a lot of work involved, but if you keep on top of things and don't procrastinate about essays and stuff, it's completely manageable while working full-time. Several people managed with new babies and small children too. They're also very good about allowing you to defer parts of the course (e.g. the thesis or second year modules) if you're struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jj_24

Hi guys, I'm considering taking this course at DBS. My only concern is: If I move to another EU country in the future will I be able to use a Higer Diploma as degree in Psychology?

I'm thinking about this, because a higher diploma doesn't seem to exist in another countries besides Ireland and Uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

That'll tell you what level your course is - the course itself should say what level it is. These exist so that the equivalents can be given for everywhere in the EU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement