Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for 10 to 15 user network

Options
  • 30-07-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations on a router/firewall/nat that could be used for a small company network with 10 to 15 users on it. It doesn't need wifi as there's separate wifi access points.

To date we have used small home office type routers (linksys) which have been ok but struggle as the number if users increases.

The out going internet connection is Ethernet into a shared firewall for the building.

Any suggestions for a commercial grade device that would be better suited. It doesn't need to have 4g incase the main link fails, but might be a nice option.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Draytek do some nice small office routers which would be suitable. Nearly all of them automatically backup to another connection.

You could go for a Sonicwall but you will end up paying license fees and you may not have a rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Mr. G wrote: »
    Draytek do some nice small office routers which would be suitable. Nearly all of them automatically backup to another connection.

You could go for a Sonicwall but you will end up paying license fees and you may not have a rack.

Its actually plugging into a sonic wall which is used to share the main connection out for the building.

I'll have a look at Draytek, someone else mentioned them to me also. I'm surprised there isn't more players in this market. Where as the soho market is saturated with manufacturers all completing on price but not quality...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you being leased a public from the sonicwall or is this going to be a double NAT situation?

ED E wrote: »
    Are you being leased a public from the sonicwall or is this going to be a double NAT situation?

Its a double NAT situation, we just have a static local IP for connection to the sonic wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You could run that on anything then, its essentially going to be a switch. Disable firewalling/SPI/QoS etc on whatever you use and the crappiest chip would still route fine.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You could run that on anything then, its essentially going to be a switch. Disable firewalling/SPI/QoS etc on whatever you use and the crappiest chip would still route fine.

No i actually want a NAT, so my private IP range stays the same for printers and clients on the local LAN. The IP range for the sonic wall is different.

I'm amazed there isn't more players in the market for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

No i actually want a NAT, so my private IP range stays the same for printers and clients on the local LAN. The IP range for the sonic wall is different.

I'm amazed there isn't more players in the market for this sort of thing.

For a double NAT,you'll need the admin of the Sonicwall to enable NAT & Firewall policies as you need them.

There are lots of players,just to mention few of them,in alphabetical order,that im familiar with:

Belkin
    Cisco
    D-Link
    Draytek
    Linksys
    Netgear
    Sonicwall
    TP-Link
    Zyxel

Have fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

For a double NAT,you'll need the admin of the Sonicwall to enable NAT & Firewall policies as you need them.

There are lots of players,just to mention few of them,in alphabetical order,that im familiar with:

Belkin
    Cisco
    D-Link
    Draytek
    Linksys
    Netgear
    Sonicwall
    TP-Link
    Zyxel

Have fun...

There are at least 4 on that list you should run a mile from, cannot be trusted for a SOHO network. Belkin, Linksys (now owned by Belkin), TP Link and Zyxel.

Personally I recommend either a Mikrotik RB750 or a Ubiquiti Edge router
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750gllevel-64mb-gbit-p-1130.html
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/ubiquiti-edgemax-edgerouter-lite-p-1287.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There are at least 4 on that list you should run a mile from, cannot be trusted for a SOHO network. Belkin, Linksys (now owned by Belkin), TP Link and Zyxel.

Personally I recommend either a Mikrotik RB750 or a Ubiquiti Edge router
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750gllevel-64mb-gbit-p-1130.html
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/ubiquiti-edgemax-edgerouter-lite-p-1287.html

I agree.

For a SOHO office I wouldn't rate Sonicwall either. Ever since Dell took them over their support has been dire. They used to be good to deal with but Dell have dragged them down drastically. You can forget Belkin.

Billion are good, more aimed towards consumers though.

The Mikrotiks are good value & very flexible and don't feel like Chinese crap. But seriously, do consider the Draytek ones, work great and very stable.

Advertisement