Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a family campsite..

Options
  • 30-07-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

As the thread title says, I'd be interested to hear your recommendations for the best campsite you've used for pitching a tent in Ireland. Must be suitable for small kids. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mannix point cahirciveen. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Parsons green is right up there for me, great for the small ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Thanks folks. Will take alook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

RICHIE.39 wrote: »
    Parsons green is right up there for me, great for the small ones.

I will never go back to that site. It's allegedly a family friendly site with 11pm noise curfew and security. Complete lies. Went there last year - Large gang drinking in the games room until about midnight then back to their tents/campers and cranked up the music louder and louder until after 5am. I complained to the owner the next morning and she assured me that security was there and didn't hear anything and she'd make sure it wouldn't happen that night. That might it was worse. Same loud music and general drunken crap and then the fight broke out about 4am. I was on the verge of calling the police it was so bad. About 2am went looking for security - games room empty, knocked on office door, looked around the site - nobody. Spoke to the owner again the next day and she didn't give a crap - barely an apology - kept telling me that security didn't hear anything. Not surprising as he was probably asleep if he was even on the site.

TL;DR - keep away from Parson's Green if you have kids with you.

Family friendly sites:
    Morriscastle Strand in Wexford. Been there three times this year. Very well run, even on August bank holiday when it was jammed there was no hassle.
    Hidden Valley in Rathdrum. Plenty for kids to do and good security.
    Strandhill in Sligo. Only issue with it is it's right beside the beach that you can't swim in as it's too dangerous. But short drive to Rosses Point which is a great beach.
    Casey's in Waterford. Another well run site and right beside a fantastic beach.
    Lough Key in Sligo. Not much in the site itself but right beside the forest park and lake with plenty of activities. Make sure to try Boda Borg - it's brilliant. Last time I was there it was quite muddy but I'm told they've done a lot of work on it since to improve it.
    Share Village in Fermanagh. Excellent site and tons of activities. Some can be a little pricey but they are very well run and the instructors are great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Parsons green not great to be honest ,I like relaxing on our trips but this campsite kept me on edge for some reason.
    A lot of teenagers hanging around at night drinking.
    On both nights we were here we found a certain individual creeping around the tents and caravans. Owners did not seem to worried when informed.
    large groups drinking out side and making a disturbance well past 3am.
    Pet farm is poor as are the play grounds,the whole site needs a huge update.
    The bin and tennis area are overflowing with rubbish.
    Its seem to be a site people head to for a good session rather than a family break.
    Noir valley in killkenny is great for the kids,they are strict but its clean and well run .

• Advertisement

Nore Valley - forgot about that one. Nice site but for tents can be a bit cramped - no defined pitches - everyone just vying for a spot on top of each other. That said it is clean and well run. I've heard stories about the owner being a bit of a tyrant but haven't experienced his displeasure myself.

I was so pi$$ed off at the lack of security and antics of Parson's Green that I forgot about the hygiene. Bins area a disgrace. Showers and toilets filthy. The deal breakers was the noise and complete lack of any responsibility from the owner when informed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Orion wrote: »
    Nore Valley - forgot about that one. Nice site but for tents can be a bit cramped - no defined pitches - everyone just vying for a spot on top of each other. That said it is clean and well run. I've heard stories about the owner being a bit of a tyrant but haven't experienced his displeasure myself.

I was so pi$$ed off at the lack of security and antics of Parson's Green that I forgot about the hygiene. Bins area a disgrace. Showers and toilets filthy. The deal breakers was the noise and complete lack of any responsibility from the owner when informed though.

The owner in nore valley can be a bit ott but it's well run .Don't know about tents as we were in a campervan but give me a strict owner anyday over the way Parsons Green is run.
    I was recommended Parsons Green by friends who seen nothing wrong with it,each to there own but its not my cup of tea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Orion wrote: »

Nore Valley, stayed their with family last year during the very hot week in July. A stunning view out over the valley. It was actually pretty quite when we were there (Morriscastle was packed full and a great time was had there too). We had no issues with the owner, but I think on tripadvisor there are a few negative reviews. We had a flat battery when leaving and they couldn't have been more helpful to get us back on the road.

Yeah like I said I had no issue with him either but other people I know have said he can be an ass. It is an amazing view alright. Kid's activities are great too - they loved the maze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Campail Teach An Aragail Campsite near ballydavid in Dingle peninsula. near Gallarus oratory. quiet, nice showers, near enough to beaches

• Advertisement
Advertisement