Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blocking Go Safe van

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Victor wrote: »
    No. It will be an individual garda that will direct GoSafe to operate at X location at Y time.

Have you any evidence that this is actually what happens, or are you guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Have you any evidence that this is actually what happens, or are you guessing?

As far as I'm aware they are assigned a work sheet from high up and its conducted as such. They don't get a phone call from the local station and given their marching orders for the day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

No. It will be an individual garda that will direct GoSafe to operate at X location at Y time.

Is that just one Guard directing the whole Gosafe operation (from his secret command post), or one Guard per goSafe Van ?????:confused:

Sorry Victor, but GoSafe have a list of locations in which they can operate and it's up to the GoSafe management to place their vans wherever they see fit.
    They may well recieve an request from a superintendent to monitor a particular stretch, but it's only a request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Is that just one Guard directing the whole Gosafe operation (from his secret command post), or one Guard per goSafe Van ?????:confused:

Sorry Victor, but GoSafe have a list of locations in which they can operate and it's up to the GoSafe management to place their vans wherever they see fit.
    They may well recieve an request from a superintendent to monitor a particular stretch, but it's only a request.

Agree with above, GoSafe vans are only allowed catch people speeding within the area's marked on the Garda.ie web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Out of curiosity, why are GoSafe restricted to certain zones? Surely the whole point of speed vans is that their random nature is the deterrent, ie you are not supposed to know where they will be and you should be adjusting your speed to expect to meet them anywhere? Sort of defeats the purpose if I only slow down at the 3-4 spots that I expect to meet one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

No.
    GoSafe are given the locations and times, from a set list of locations from AGS.

They don't decide themselves where, when or for how long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

djimi wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why are GoSafe restricted to certain zones? Surely the whole point of speed vans is that their random nature is the deterrent, ie you are not supposed to know where they will be and you should be adjusting your speed to expect to meet them anywhere? Sort of defeats the purpose if I only slow down at the 3-4 spots that I expect to meet one.

Because the entire justification for their use and existence was to reduce accidents at known black spots.

If people slow down where they expect the might encounter one of these vans - ie the black spots - job done as far as the authorities are concerned.

Well it would be if exceeding the speed limit was the main cause of accidents at those spots...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Nib wrote: »
    Is that outside the chilling in Kildare Town?

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Pretty sure there's a 60kph limit coming down a long steep hill on the Newbridge road. Sneaky!

Accident blackspots my arse!

Its Kildare alright. The two lads that parked it there got speeding tickets and were less than 5mph over. So they thought they would save a few people fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Would you do the same with the soldiers in an armed cash-in-transit situation?

There are gardai in the CIT convoys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stop putting words in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

highdef wrote: »
    I really cannot understand how people can gain such speed on downhill stretches without being aware of it. Are people daydreaming while driving, unaware of what is going on around them???

I can, its because people are humans and not robots.

Depends on the hill but if there's a large truck behind me there's no way i'm tapping my brakes to slow down ... speed camera be damned :P

Unless the truck is absolutely flying up behind you I really dont think there is going to be much of an issue tbh. Its not like youre going to be slamming on!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

I'd say the operator inside doesnt give a ****. He still has a camera on the front, and he still gets paid regardless.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Because the entire justification for their use and existence was to reduce accidents at known black spots.

If people slow down where they expect the might encounter one of these vans - ie the black spots - job done as far as the authorities are concerned.

Well it would be if exceeding the speed limit was the main cause of accidents at those spots...

I think that was the mistake that they made tbh. If they had just come out and said that there is a widespread problem with speeding in Ireland, we are employing the assistance of a third party contractor to put some speed vans on the road, and if you are speeding and get caught then its your own problem then I think people would have less of an issue; I would certainly respect them a whole lot more than I do now with this nonsense BS about the vans being for safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

hairybelly wrote: »
    I'd say the operator inside doesnt give a ****. He still has a camera on the front, and he still gets paid regardless.

Never seen any gofcuk vans aren't equipped with front facing cameras.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

Garda liason officer appointed to assist them, not direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

That not just a dash cam type set up? Not sure about the survey vans.

bladespin wrote: »

GoSafe, and indeed every Garda van, can only enforce a fine from the rear facing camera. There is no camera anywhere else on the van that can be used for enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

ironclaw wrote: »
    GoSafe, and indeed every Garda van, can only enforce a fine from the rear facing camera. There is no camera anywhere else on the van that can be used for enforcement.

Who watches the driver though? Is there not some case going on or went on that the driver has to be monitoring the camera at all times? I heard a judge struck out a lot of fines due to the driver not being able to follow the exact chain of evidence due to him not watching the monitor

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Who watches the driver though? Is there not some case going on or went on that the driver has to be monitoring the camera at all times? I heard a judge struck out a lot of fines due to the driver not being able to follow the exact chain of evidence due to him not watching the monitor

Complete case of Chinese whispers there.

The basis of the case, from my reading, was that the GoSafe operator should be able to say that he saw such and such a car speeding in such and such a place at such and such a time. However, that's impossible as your literally watching 1000's of cars go past unlike say a Garda who may stop 4 or 5 on shift and would remember. Either way, it was dismissed by the judge and no one got off because of it.

The only 'loophole' at the moment is they don't send you a picture (Thus all the evidence against you) in the summons for a court case. Hence it will be dismissed as you must be provided with such evidence before the court date. I'd imagine that will be closed sharply once its reviewed by higher courts.

Either way, none of this has any relation to what I said regarding the camera systems on board. All GoSafe vans operate solo, there is no need for anyone to be watching the driver. The additional cameras are CCTV for security after some mysteriously caught fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

ironclaw wrote: »

Thanks for clarifying, I didnt realise. I guess its just a CCTV camera they have on the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Stop putting words in my mouth.

I didn't put anything in your mouth Victor.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

ardle1 wrote: »
    I took this pic an hour later 25ss84z.png
    Sunhill wrote: »
    Is that just because it's 02.10 or are you the actually world's worst photoshopper?

Ahhhhhhh gimme a break, I 'Paint Shop Pro'd' it on my mobile phone while driving:cool: ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Are you sure? My mum got caught breaking the speed limit by the Go Scam van and the photo they sent of the car was the back not the front.

Unless of course the money making racket vans can detect cars going in both directions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Are you sure? My mum got caught breaking the speed limit by the Go Scam van and the photo they sent of the car was the back not the front.

Unless of course the money making racket vans can detect cars going in both directions?

They probably can. You had the proof in your hand;)

They were well hidden if your mum didn't spot it - going past it over the limit wasn't a good move tbh.

Pretty sure, rear facing cam scans both sides of the road, can catch you fron or back.

Pretty sure, rear facing cam scans both sides of the road, can catch you fron or back.

Correct, you can be fined for going towards or away from the rear doors of the van only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

they'll harness the power of the grey curtain twichers here next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

gctest50 wrote: »
    they'll harness the power of the grey curtain twichers here next

As long as this is done, I'm all on for it. fantastic idea and a great way to help with the scourge of drivers who speed through rural villages and built up areas, where speed checks are nigh on impossible to get set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As long as this is done, I'm all on for it. fantastic idea and a great way to help with the scourge of drivers who speed through rural villages and built up areas, where speed checks are nigh on impossible to get set up.

Anyone remember a guy using a hair dryer and high vis jacket etc in an attempt to make drivers believe they were been speed checked a few years ago that was done for impersonating etc. might have been an urban legend though ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Anyone remember a guy using a hair dryer and high vis jacket etc in an attempt to make drivers believe they were been speed checked a few years ago that was done for impersonating etc. might have been an urban legend though ...

Nice little story but you cannot be charged with anything for standing beside a road with a hi viz and a hair dryer :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What works really great at slowing people down is get a flash mount from a DSLR camera and stick some blue colour plastic over it and switch it to a strobe affect...

You've never seen people slow down so quick! :pac:

In my defense I was using it for a legit photo project at the time at night as I was taking pictures of some old buildings, still funny seeing people slow down so quick when I had the strobe affect on.,
    :D

Nice little story but you cannot be charged with anything for standing beside a road with a hi viz and a hair dryer :rolleyes:

I think they 'may' have been done for impersonating a Garda ... So yes possible -

I think they 'may' have been done for impersonating a Garda ... So yes possible -

Coiuld only be charged with impersonation if they actually had Garda emblems etc on show, without that you could not be charged nevermind 'done'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As a side note, a lot of those "Doctor" cars are setup to look VERY like a marked AGS car with the white color and rear high-viz pattern. Was behind one over the weekend and the rear was identical save for DOCTOR instead of GARDA

I've seen similar on private vans too - one of the courier companies for example.

Surprised they get away with it really.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As a side note, a lot of those "Doctor" cars are setup to look VERY like a marked AGS car with the white color and rear high-viz pattern. Was behind one over the weekend and the rear was identical save for DOCTOR instead of GARDA

I've seen similar on private vans too - one of the courier companies for example.

Surprised they get away with it really.

I'd have no issue in putting my car in Garda livery without the Garda tags. In fact if I had an M3 or similar I'd probably put it in Polezei colors. If someone can't tell the difference, tough luck. Might be handier for people getting out of your way :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Coiuld only be charged with impersonation if they actually had Garda emblems etc on show, without that you could not be charged nevermind 'done'.

Do you think so?

These were posted elsewhere but the 'impersonation' detailed appears to be of a general nature.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garda-impersonator-fitted-siren-and-lights-to-car-480988.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/fake-garda...-27955588.html

Do you have a link to the requirement for 'Garda emblems etc on show' to be charged with impersonation?

• Advertisement

Do you think so?

These were posted elsewhere but the 'impersonation' detailed appears to be of a general nature.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/garda-impersonator-fitted-siren-and-lights-to-car-480988.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/fake-garda...-27955588.html

Do you have a link to the requirement for 'Garda emblems etc on show' to be charged with impersonation?

Umm yes, car in first was fitted with flashing blue lights - emergency services only nothing general about it.

Second was wearing a Garda uniform, both impersonation clearly, a person standing at the side of the road in hi viz with a hair dryer is breaking no law.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Looks good anyway :)

Umm yes, car in first was fitted with flashing blue lights - emergency services only nothing general about it.

By 'general' - Btw this was in contrast to your reference to emblems - there were no insignia referred to either story.

Re the first story -ex squad cars are sold minus the Garda detail
    These ex squad cars can be used legally once resold so its not an offence to have an ex squad car as long as they are not used for the purpose of imitation as a marked Garda squad car.

Regarding 'Blue Lights' they are not an 'emblem'- however

The following groups are issued with them for official use
    (I) by a member of the Garda Síochána in the performance of his or her duties as such member,
    (ii) as a fire brigade vehicle,
    (iii) by persons providing an ambulance service,
    (iv) by the Irish Prison Service,
    (v) as an Irish Marine Emergency Service vehicle, with or without a trailer,
    (vi) for the delivery or collection of human transplant organs human blood or human blood products,
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0342.html

This doesn't stop some scrote buying their own 'Blue Lights' in an attempt at impersonating a Garda
    Second was wearing a Garda uniform, both impersonation clearly, a person standing at the side of the road in hi viz with a hair dryer is breaking no law.

Re the second story - the 'Garda Uniform' again could be Dunnes Stores pants, Blue shirt and conductors hat - nothing mentioned in the article anything to with insignia at all

Btw you didn't answer the question on your source of the claim that a person "Could only be charged with impersonation if they actually had Garda emblems " as you stated

I checked it up and this is the the current situation ...

Regarding Impersonating - apparently you don't actually need Garda emblems etc specifically to be charged with an offence under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 although that certainly is an offence under the Act

The Act importantly includes the offence of 'impersonation' of a Garda by imitation and / or deception

Here are some of the relevant bits of the 2005 Act I.
    60.— (1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she—

(a) impersonates a member of the Garda Síochána, or

(b) makes any statement or does any act calculated falsely to suggest that he or she is such a member.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding €3,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding €50,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both.

61.— (1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she, not being a member of the Garda Síochána—

(a) has in his or her possession any article of Garda uniform or any equipment supplied to a member of the Garda Síochána and is not able satisfactorily to account for possessing it,

(b) puts on or wears—

(i) without the Garda Commissioner’s permission, any article of Garda uniform of any rank or member of the Garda Síochána, or

(ii) without reasonable excuse, any imitation of such article or uniform,

or

(c) for the purpose of doing or procuring to be done any act that he or she would not by law be entitled to do or procure to be done of his or her own authority, assumes the name, designation or description of any rank of or any member of the Garda Síochána.

(2) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she, without lawful authority, has in his or her possession or uses in connection with any trade, business, calling or profession or for any other purpose any article, equipment or vehicle containing or having on it any distinctive badge or crest so closely resembling the badge or crest of the Garda Síochána as to be likely to deceive.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding €3,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding €50,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both.

(4) Nothing in this section prevents the wearing of any uniform or dress in—

(a) a performance in a theatre, on film or on television or other media, or

(b) with the prior approval of the Garda Commissioner, a public place in the course of making a film, television or other media production.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0020/print.html

By 'general' - Btw this was in contrast to your reference to 'insignia' - there were no insignia referred to either story.

Re the first story -ex squad cars are sold minus the Garda detail
    These ex squad cars can be used legally once resold so its not an offence to have an ex squad car as long as they are not used for the purpose of imitation as a marked Garda squad car.

Regarding 'Blue Lights' they are not an 'emblem'- however

The following groups are issued with them for official use

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0342.html

This doesn't stop some scrote buying their own 'Blue Lights' in an attempt at impersonating a Garda

Re the second story - the 'Garda Uniform' again could be Dunnes Stores pants, Blue shirt and conductors hat - nothing mentioned in the article anything to with insignia at all

Btw you didn't answer the question on your source of the claim that a person "Could only be charged with impersonation if they actually had Garda emblems " as you stated

I checked it up and this is the the current situation ...

Regarding Impersonating - apparently you don't actually need Garda emblems etc specifically to be charged with an offence under the Garda Síochána Act 2005 although that certainly is an offence under the Act

The Act importantly includes the offence of 'impersonation' of a Garda by imitation and / or deception

Here are some of the relevant bits of the 2005 Act I.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0020/print.html
    Yawn, in all your researching did you find out how they 'done' the guy with the hairdryer???

Short answer - no. :rolleyes:

Blue lights- garda emblem/symbol (don't recall any insignia mention though) or whatever you want to call it- the emergency services are the only ones allowed to have blues.

Ex garda cars must have livery removed prior to sale.

On an aside - there are several bikers riding around in ex-met hi vis jackets, never get any hassle at checkpoints etc so doubt the gardai 'do' people for no good reason, just ask one.

Yawn, in all your researching did you find out how they 'done' the guy with the hairdryer???
    Short answer - no.

Yeah only as you couldn't or wouldnt be bothered answering the question ...

As said clearly I detailed the speeding guy thing to see if anyone had heard of it! Duh! But you had to make a song and dance routine of course :rolleyes:

Surely you remember saying and I quote
    Could only be charged with impersonation if they actually had Garda emblems
    Blue lights- garda emblem/symbol (don't recall any insignia mention though) or whatever you want to call it- the emergency services are the only ones allowed to have blues.

Btw Lights are not emblems whatever the colour

http://www.yourdictionary.com/emblem

I will take the shovel away from you now - you have dug a big enough hole. Man up and get over your lack of facts or I suppose you are now claiming the legislation is not right either :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Side story on the Garda stuff, but it is taken quite seriously. Was working with a theater before and there were Garda uniforms as part of the wardrobe. They had to be checked in and out, purely given the legislation. They don't take it too lightly to be wandering around in Garda gear.

• Advertisement

Yeah only as you couldn't or wouldnt be bothered answering the question ...
    Question???
    I will take the shovel away from you now - you have dug a big enough hole. Man up and get over your lack of facts or I suppose you are now claiming the legislation is not right either :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You made the claim, not me, I merely stated that you couldn't be impersonating a garda by holding a hairdryer in your hand :rolleyes: If you're right, which you clearly think you are then Peter Mark must be very worried. :p

BTW, thanks for the correction, I obviously meant 'symbol' not 'emblem' as you pointed out, pretty clear to all but the most hardened troll I thought.

Question???
    You made the claim, not me, I merely stated that you couldn't be impersonating a garda by holding a hairdryer in your hand :: If you're right, which you clearly think you are then Peter Mark must be very worried.

This Question

Ya didn't answer it so I checked the Act for you ...

Btw I made no claim - I posted the details and asked had any one came across that incident,

You then went on a crusade on the issue and clearly stated

Could only be charged with impersonation if they actually had Garda emblems

The legislation states otherwise.
    BTW, thanks for the correction, I obviously meant 'symbol' not 'emblem' as you pointed out, pretty clear to all but the most hardened troll I thought.

Well I can't read your mind can I and if you believe those that don't are 'trolls' then you must be getting near bedrock at this stage. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Got really fecked off with go safe van on the way into our town. So took a 'rest' covering the camera, walking dogs is not easy and I do enjoy looking at the beauty of my home town. So 15 minutes later our buddies from the police force arrived and gave me a severe warning. I am so pissed off. These vans are in the pitch dark. Drivers havnt a hope. If they want folks to reduce speed then put revolving emergency lights on these vans. The way they hide is plain sneaky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

ouncer wrote: »
    Got really fecked off with go safe van on the way into our town. So took a 'rest' covering the camera, walking dogs is not easy and I do enjoy looking at the beauty of my home town. So 15 minutes later our buddies from the police force arrived and gave me a severe warning. I am so pissed off. These vans are in the pitch dark. Drivers havnt a hope. If they want folks to reduce speed then put revolving emergency lights on these vans. The way they hide is plain sneaky

If you don't speed, they can't catch you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ouncer wrote: »

Did you break any law? If not, i would have told the uniformed puppets to take a hike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement