Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to be on the social welfare to bring your puppy to the Blue Cross?

• 30-07-2014 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys,

I have just gotten a beautiful little puppy and he will need his first set of needles next week.
    I was wondering do you have to be on the social welfare to get your dog vaccinated?

I do have a job but it's really low income and at the moment, I'm really struggling.
    I don't get paid until 2 weeks away. I rang around some vets today and some were quoting me €70 for his first set of vaccinations!
    I wish I could bring him to a vet, but I feel like the Blue Cross is my only option at the moment.
    Do they only cater for people on the social welfare?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Where are you based OP?
    I'm not too sure what the Blue Cross look for, I'm sure someone else here can confirm.
    However, there is a subsidised clinic in Ballymun run by a local animal rescue group where you don't have to be on benefits, they ask you to pay what you can, or have very reasonable costs for the routine stuff like vaccinations, neutering etc.
    Whether this is anywhere near you I don't know, but I thought I'd mention it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

noeld932 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have just gotten a beautiful little puppy and he will need his first set of needles next week.
    I was wondering do you have to be on the social welfare to get your dog vaccinated?

I do have a job but it's really low income and at the moment, I'm really struggling.
    I don't get paid until 2 weeks away. I rang around some vets today and some were quoting me €70 for his first set of vaccinations!
    I wish I could bring him to a vet, but I feel like the Blue Cross is my only option at the moment.

Thanks guys

I honestly don't know, did the pup not come with any vaccinations? You could look into getting your pup insured though as it takes any stress/worry out of money issues if your pet got sick. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you are in Dublin, there is a vet Brian Jones in Coldwinters just past Finglas (beside Dogs Trust) that is very reasonable for vaccinations.

Edited to add I just looked up the Blue Cross Mobile Clinic & they operate in 10 different locations. Maybe one would suit. Sorry I can't link as using my mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

OP the other thing is you could as your vet if you could pay in installments? The initial cost is very expensive when you get a new puppy with vaccs, microchipping, neutering etc. Keep your eyes peeled for discounted microchipping (if you are in dublin), the dspca sometimes have days where they do it for free/€10ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

noeld932 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks guys

I'm sorry you are struggling but the vaccinations are only going to be the start of the expense that comes with being a pet owner. I'm a bit concerned that you have gone out and got a puppy given your situation.
    The blue cross does offer vaccinations at a reduced rate. This service unfortunately is abused by a large amount of people who can afford to pay hundreds of euro for a pup but want cheap health care. I know this because I volunteered there for a year. At that time they did not look for proof of social welfare, I don't think this has changed in their mobile clinics.
    If I were you I would be looking for a vet clinic that that has a pet health club or something. Depending on the clinic this may allow you to pay so much per month and then you can receive discounts on booster vaccinations, parasite treatments, food and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The blue cross does offer vaccinations at a reduced rate. This service unfortunately is abused by a large amount of people who can afford to pay hundreds of euro for a pup but want cheap health care. I

+1 I know people who are well off and use the Blue Cross which is why I'll never give them a cent - why should I pay my vet bills as well as there's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭gigglemuch82

Hi

As a regular user of BlueCross mobile clinic, I can confirm that you don't have to be on social welfare to avail of the service. They do not ask you what your job circumstances are or what your income is. They charge a fixed fee of 25 eur (I think) for a vaccination and I think they charge about the same for vet consultations.

If you need referral, they will refer you to their clinic but depending on how busy the clinic is, they will refer you to a different vet in your area where you have to pay some of the treatment costs yourself.

There are some DSCPA mobile clinics available for similar prices around Dublin if you want to call up and ask where and what days they work.

I've found their service excellent although I've seen some scummy people visiting with their animals - none of whom caused any hassle personally.

I've also seen a 11 reg jaguar pulling up once to get their dog treated in the clinic :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

DBB wrote: »
    Where are you based OP?
    I'm not too sure what the Blue Cross look for, I'm sure someone else here can confirm.
    However, there is a subsidised clinic in Ballymun run by a local animal rescue group where you don't have to be on benefits, they ask you to pay what you can, or have very reasonable costs for the routine stuff like vaccinations, neutering etc.
    Whether this is anywhere near you I don't know, but I thought I'd mention it!

Where in Ballymun is the clinic?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

deelite wrote: »
    Where in Ballymun is the clinic?

Lol, I'm not 100% sure because they were in one of the towers, but had to leave that a few months ago for the tower to be demolished. They've had to move around a couple of different places since but have recently found a more permanent location... do you think I can remember where I was told it is?
    No :o
    But a call to the rescue who run the clinic will sort it out for you. As I can't give the name of the rescue here, if you want to know it, I'll PM it to you:)

Advertisement