Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Year Visa Query

Options
  • 31-07-2014 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I'm looking for some advice please!!

I'm currently coming to the end of my first year working holiday visa and want to extend to a second year!

Unfortunately, I have to unexpectedly return home for a few weeks because of a serious family issue... Here's the problem, I only have 2 months completed of my farm work and by the time I get home etc. it is going to be too late to do the final month.

Do all cases get investigated by immigration?
    If you are investigated, are you notified so you can withdraw your claim?

I realise a lot of people will instantly judge me over this issue, but I'm desperate to get back into the country. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I don't think anyone here will be able to answer your question with any definite answer. Just make sure to put down dates that you are going to be in the country for when you apply and make sure you and the person you are doing your regional work have the same story if immigration do ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 niterain84

hammered wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice please!!

I'm currently coming to the end of my first year working holiday visa and want to extend to a second year!

Unfortunately, I have to unexpectedly return home for a few weeks because of a serious family issue... Here's the problem, I only have 2 months completed of my farm work and by the time I get home etc. it is going to be too late to do the final month.

Do all cases get investigated by immigration?
    If you are investigated, are you notified so you can withdraw your claim?

I realise a lot of people will instantly judge me over this issue, but I'm desperate to get back into the country. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I got granted my 2nd year no bother without investigation when i was in OZ a few years ago.

But later i went on a holiday to thailand and as I was coming back into Oz at Perth airport I got stopped by Immigration, this was over 4 months after i had been granted the visa. For me it wasnt a problem as i had done my regional work.

I was brought into office and interviewed. They asked alot of questions about where i worked, work duties, dates worked, ABN of company, proof i worked there,names of people i worked with etc, then they called my former employer to verify it, which they did so i was free to go.

Go on youtube and you will find a few videos from Border Security Australia of irish trying to get in on 2nd year visas without having done the regional work. Its a scam immigration are very aware of. If you get caught youre deported with a 3 year ban. I know people who got banned and they got refused for working holiday visas for New Zealand and Canada because of it.

Its up to you if you want to risk it, I personally wouldnt want that weight on my mind wondering if/when im going to get caught. You might get the visa granted but theres a good chance you will get stopped at the airport. You will be sent back the same day you arrive. try and find a different visa that will let you stay longer if you are "so desperate to get back in". If you get caught and banned its going to make it difficult for you to ever get back in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I was about 6 months into my 2WHV and took a trip to China. On my return to Australia I was called aside by immigration regarding my 2nd WHV. I had worked in oil and gas and had qualified legitimately.

They basically asked me who I worked for, what dates I'd work with them and if I was able to show pay slips.
    I told them I could bring up my banking records to show them pay slips for who I worked for.

They then went off, checked their records. I think they checked the ABN numbers for the companies I worked for against my tax file number. They came back about 10 minutes later and said it all checked out and he wasn't too worried about my status as I was happy to provide banking records as proof. He said most people with something to hide will say they don't have access or don't have the records to hand eg. hiding something.

They guy also mentioned that anyone returning to Australia while on their 2WHV is flagged on the system when and nearly always pulled aside and questioned. If you leave and return on subsequent trips on your 2WHV you will not be flagged as you've already proved your status to them.

So it's a risk you have to decide if its worth taking or not. From my understanding you will be questioned on re entry while on a 2WHV/returning to start a 2WHV.

Advertisement