Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 3 GT 2.2- insurance ? People won't even quote

• 31-07-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi I'm just about to buy a mazda 3 2.2 GT . Same engine as all other mazda 3. Same bhp.

I'm finding getting insurance very difficult. Over 3/4 of those who I rang won't quote.

Those that are are looking for between 800 and 1100. I'm 32 : no claims no points .

Why is this ? And any ideas on what I can do. Putting a real downer on getting this car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

are they quoting you for the correct car? sounds like they think that it's an MPS or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

They have the plate number so I doubt it. Some are saying it's in too high a bracket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try some brokers and explain to them. They maybe able to reason with/sound out insurance companies alot better than yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

I came accross this with another car.Does anyone have a link to the different insurance brackets for cars or is there some way to optain them.
    Are our insurance brackets the same as the uk ,if so then parkers can be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont think our insurers use defined brackets/groups in the same way as they do in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I had a 2.2 Mazda 6 and my insurance rocketed with it. They class the 2.2 as a performance engine (I know) and Mazda parts aren't exactly cheap meaning the cost to repair even something minor is very expensive too. These contribute to the premium, as does the increased value of the car being the bones of 30k.

When I traded to a more powerful, higher value car afterwards there was no change to the premium. It's a Mazda thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had a 2.2 Mazda 6 and my insurance rocketed with it. They class the 2.2 as a performance engine (I know) and Mazda parts aren't exactly cheap meaning the cost to repair even something minor is very expensive too. These contribute to the premium, as does the increased value of the car being the bones of 30k.

When I traded to a more powerful, higher value car afterwards there was no change to the premium. It's a Mazda thing.

We had a new 6 off the road for about 6 weeks, earlier this year, after an accident, while a front sub-frame (I think) was shipped across from Japan.

Thankfully, we have a demo 6 that the driver used, otherwise there would have been a substantial car hire bill along with a fairly substantial repair bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

My insurance on a Mazda 1.8 petrol was almost as high as a 325 last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I have an 3 MPS and it's okay insurance-wise. I'm with Zurich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

GusGus wrote: »
    Hi I'm just about to buy a mazda 3 2.2 GT . Same engine as all other mazda 3. Same bhp.

I'm finding getting insurance very difficult. Over 3/4 of those who I rang won't quote.

Those that are are looking for between 800 and 1100. I'm 32 : no claims no points .

Why is this ? And any ideas on what I can do. Putting a real downer on getting this car

There lays the issue. Insurance companies simply won't have any - they see the "GT" term and immediately go "it's a high performance spec!". They are that silly; As I said more than once before, my old 1.4 Megane was classified as a "performance vehicle" because it had the word "super sport" in the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Yeah its the age old issue; letters and fancy names set alarm bells ringing with insurers. For the most part they havent a clue what most models of cars actually are, especially if its anything even remotely out of the ordinary.

Advertisement