Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's the way fund raisin' go...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

AlanS181824 has retracted his bid due to unforeseen circumstances. That brings the highest current bid back to myself at 420.

Ok folks, the last day to win this is tomorrow. Don't forget the auction ends at 18:00.

Ok folks, today is the last day. Just to recap, the auction ends at 6pm, & whoever has the highest bid at that time will be the proud owner of Jay's personal NES. This is signed by Billy, Jay & Melvore...and the winner will get two pictures of the three guys holding the console. These pics don't exist anywhere else & are only for the winner. The NES is obviously very common, but I think most will agree, this one in particular is truly unique & by no means something you can just buy. It was also used to make Jay's Zelda No-Death Run video on...so this ranks very highly on the retro bragging rights list!

As of right now, all bid restrictions are lifted. Bid whatever you want, the only thing I ask is that your bid is €5 higher or more than the previous one. If in the event of multiple bids at the last minute or so, the very last bid showing at 18:00 will be classified as the winner. Best of luck to anyone left standing!

I'm going to have to be a total chode & retract my bid, it seems I'm not getting some additional funds I had expected this month, & this leaves me stretched thin. Apologies, but we're only dropping back by a fiver...& if Trout is willing, it leaves him in the lead now at 415. I have to head out now, but will be back before this ends. Good luck if anyone is looking to place any further bids :)
    trout wrote: »

90 mins left :)

• Advertisement

15 mins...

Ok, time is up. I'll hold off on the congratulations until I hear back from Trout, as he's reinherited the highest bid from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

i win :eek:

^ You win dude...thank you so, so much. And thanks to everyone who bid & everyone who spread the word, you all helped so much. This raised far more than I thought it would, & I couldn't be happier. I'll throw in my retracted bid to bring it back up to 420 (I'll be covering the customs/import fees for the NES too)

Trout, congratulations & thank you very much for bidding as much as you did. I'm delighted this is going to a good home, I'm highly jealous, but still glad :D

And also, a massive, massive thanks to Regina, Jay, Billy & Melvore. Obviously this couldn't have happened without their extremely kind gesture. Regina has been hugely helpful, & I can't thank them all enough. Not only that, but for Jay to donate his own console, wow, what a gesture.

Massive thanks to Dav who gave this whole thing the green light from the Boards end. Mr E, Ciderman, & LoGiE too...who kindly let us use the A&R Marketplace as the host forum. Very kind & understanding of you guys, & this means I don't have to pay fees or anything from the proceeds & the full amount can go to the scholarship.

trout, thank you once again, & again everyone who bid. I'll pm you once the console arrives to me & we can sort out the rest then.

Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well done Trout, and well organised Myrddin. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well done Myrddin for putting this all together.
    And fair play to the Game Chaser lads for such a wonderful gesture.

There's a package for me at home from the US apparently, hmm, I wonder what that might be...will find out tomorrow when I get home...

So, got home this morning to open this parcel from the US. Indeed it is the NES from The Game Chasers. It made it! Also, these guys never cease to amaze me, not only is there the signed NES as promised, but also for the winner:

The Game Chasers Season 1 DVD (signed)
    The Game Chasers Season 1 Bonus 3rd Disc (that you can't get anymore, it was exclusive to folks who preordered season 1)
    Small note from Regina for the winner

So there we have it, Adrienne always did bring out the best in people, & she continues to do so. Thank you so much trout, & thanks again to Dav, Mr E, Ciderman, LoGiE, & all the other bidders. And finally, thank you again Regina, Jay, Billy, & Melvore for your amazing gesture! :cool:

They've signed the back of the joypad too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Myrddin wrote: »
    They've signed the back of the joypad too :D

Bloody vandals !!

Bloody vandals !!

Charity vandals :P It all looks very cool, I'd show pics but unfortunately it's not mine to show off :o

trout has requested that I throw up a pic of the guys holding the NES itself, as a good gesture for the rest of you guys, so here goes! There is another one, but the winner has to keep something to himself right? :D

Just for this to be totally transparent, the folks at UL got back to me re lodging the proceeds. I had asked if the donate button on the bottom of the scholarship page was still accepting donations, & if it was possible to have the donation amount published along with those I wish to accredit (trout, boards.ie, the game chasers). Here's the reply
    Many thanks for your email. Our Funding Development Manager, Sarah Hartnett, whom I have copied on this email, is on annual leave this week but would be happy to discuss the lodgement and publication of funds with you when she returns next Monday. Sarah’s direct number is 061-234240 or if you would like Sarah to contact you by email or phone she can do so (please forward contact number if by phone).

So the person I need to speak to is on hols until Monday. I'll pursue it further at that stage. Btw I'm meeting trout in person tomorrow to hand over his spoils, so no paypal fees or anything to mess about with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

This evening, I met up with Myrddin and his very formidable bodyguard :)

The console is amazing ... I just need (a) to find a component cable and (b) find some NES games :pac:

This was waaaaay, waaaaaaaaaay more than I ever imagined paying for a NES ... but it's such a good cause, and such a unique piece, with such an impeccable history ... I am chuffed to bits.

Let's not lose sight of the whole purpose of this auction ... raising money is one thing, raising awareness is the other.

Link to Adrienne's UL Foundation page

Speaking of awareness ... what an awesome gesture & donation from The Game Chasers, thanks guys! Love your work!

Finally ... well played Myrddin ... GG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ohana

Paul, you are the best. Trout, ENJOY! And thanks to all the bidders. To the Game Chasers, I live in Austin and say thanks for representing Texas so well. You proved everything is bigger in Texas because like I said, your hearts are HUGE.
    Colleen (A's Aunt)

I lodged the proceeds into my bank account there, & transferred it to my visa card. I'll call the UL folks today later on & get the ball rolling on getting the money where it needs to go. I've screenshots etc which I'll upload once all is done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Myrddin wrote: »
    I lodged the proceeds into my bank account there, & transferred it to my visa card. I'll call the UL folks today later on & get the ball rolling on getting the money where it needs to go. I've screenshots etc which I'll upload once all is done :)

Ted.jpg

I had the same thought :D

I wouldn't go that far

ohana wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far

Not sure if you know of the show called Father Ted, but he has a recurring line throughout the show which points at his dubious past in handling monetary donations for people in need, in Lourdes :D The line goes, "that money was just resting in my account"

Only seen Fr. Ted a couple of times but didn't see that line. In my eyes you are a saint!

ohana wrote: »
    Only seen Fr. Ted a couple of times but didn't see that line. In my eyes you are a saint!

Ah it's nothing really, everyone wins here. trout got a very unique Nintendo, The Game Chasers got some plugs & exposure, & the scholarship got some funds :)

Just spoke to Sarah there at UI (who's extremely nice & very accommodating). So I'm going to use the 'donate' button on the scholarship homepage as the method of transferring the proceeds. Sarah is then going to organise a little news piece on their website where I can credit the good folks who made this happen, & it will be available for all to see.

As I mentioned, I transferred the proceeds today from my bank account to my credit card, but being that I have a different provider for my cc, the transfer will take a few days to clear. Once done, I'll hit the button & update again when done with screenshots etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was wondering, how about some extra fundage from an A&R ice bucket challenge ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement