Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Quarter Final Galway v Kerry 2pm RTE2HD

• 31-07-2014 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭

The big one

Kerry (SFC v Galway): B Kelly; M Ó Sé, A O'Mahony, S Enright; P Murphy, K Young, F Fitzgerald; A Maher, J Buckley; M Geaney, B Sheehan, D Walsh; P Geaney, D O'Sullivan, J O'Donoghue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

"The big one" :P
    Too much talk of that '08 match this week, I get the feeling this one will be a bit of a disappointment in comparison. Our defence just isn't there yet to keep it within a reasonable distance for the forwards. I reckon we'll lose it due to handy goals killing off any momentum we threaten to get going, similar to the Mayo game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

"The big one" :P
    Too much talk of that '08 match this week, I get the feeling this one will be a bit of a disappointment in comparison. Our defence just isn't there yet to keep it within a reasonable distance for the forwards. I reckon we'll lose it due to handy goals killing off any momentum we threaten to get going, similar to the Mayo game.

Kerry by 6+ points. Galway will give Kerry too much footballing respect like always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Amprodude wrote: »
    Kerry by 6+ points. Galway will give Kerry too much footballing respect like always.

Like your lads also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

MfMan wrote: »
    Like your lads also?

Exactly only Cork are worse and have no heart at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

The Galway team is unchanged from the Tipperary game.

Tomás Healy, Donal O’Neill, Finian Hanley, Joss Moore, Gareth Bradshaw, Gary O’Donnell, Paul Varley, Fiontán Ó Curraoin, Thomas Flynn, Michael Lundy, Shane Walsh, James Kavanagh, Michael Martin, Paul Conroy (Capt), Danny Cummins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Galway being given no chance by anyone - so nothing to lose. Go out and play and maybe just surprise a few people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Galway are on the up and up and I hope Mulhollond is kept for another year or 2. Kerry should walk this, but Galway will put up a fight for 50-55 mins.

Score:
    Kerry 1-13 : 0-07 Galway (HT)
    Kerry 3-20 : 1-16 Galway (FT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Should be a high scoring match.The only hope Galway have is to completely clean Kerry out in midfield and score 3 or 4 goals .

To be honest I don't think Galway should go very defensive, like I've heard some people saying, they don't have the players to play that style and it can't be coached over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think Galway will fare better than a lot expect them to.

This Kerry team are relying on a number of thinks to go well.

This Kerry team is relying on Declan to be as good as he was v Cork, which was a bit of an aberration seeing as he has been on the wane the last few seasons, no disrespect to him by the way, he has been a great player over the years.

Its also relying on the new guys who have very little experience at this level to keep up the good starts they have made.

Plus they are relying on steady performances from veterans like O' Se and O' Mahoney, O' Se has been so so up to now.

Obviously Galway are very young and inexperienced also and are rank outsiders, but I think they will not lose by much, 3 pts max, and learn very valuable lessons from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I have a feeling this could be a great game of football. Hopefully with Galway pulling off a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think Galway will fare better than a lot expect them to.

This Kerry team are relying on a number of thinks to go well.

This Kerry team is relying on Declan to be as good as he was v Cork, which was a bit of an aberration seeing as he has been on the wane the last few seasons, no disrespect to him by the way, he has been a great player over the years.

Its also relying on the new guys who have very little experience at this level to keep up the good starts they have made.

Plus they are relying on steady performances from veterans like O' Se and O' Mahoney, O' Se has been so so up to now.

Obviously Galway are very young and inexperienced also and are rank outsiders, but I think they will not lose by much, 3 pts max, and learn very valuable lessons from it.

I would agree with you - Kerry are not going to have it as easy as some seem to think.

I expect them to win but I expect Galway to give us a decent game.

There's no way Declan is going to have the same freedom of the park the Cork lads gave him.

There's also no way that Galway will be as tactically hopeless as Cork were - rule one of Gaelic football is pretty much don't give the Kerry full forwards time and space

I was at the Clare game as well and while Kerry did the job - they were hardly in sparkling form.

The other thing is that Galway in a sense have nothing to lose with the general vibe being - Kerry will be too good for them. It's pretty much the perfect opportunity to pull off a shock and the time for the u21 winners to start stepping up at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Listened to the Off the Ball podcast on Newstalk of the two quarter finals this morning. They spent about 20 minutes on Mayo v Cork, 10 minutes on Kerry and about 1 minute on Galway right at the very end. I actually thought they were going to through the whole preview without mentioning one of the teams playing at all but we sneaked in there right at the death.:D

Advertisement