Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Qualifcation Dubai

Options
  • 31-07-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Have a question for all those teaching and living in Dubai - I have heard of graduates teaching in Dubai and attending college part-time in the evenings to gain their teaching qualificatio. After 2 years they can then come back to Ireland and teach in a Primary/Secondary school depending on their chosen degree.

Can somebody shed any light on this for me? I found UK affiliated schools in Dubai which offer a PCGE teaching certificate but it states that it is not the same as a UK teaching license.

Also what agencies are you gaining teaching employment with whilst over there - besides sabis?!
    Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Living Abroad as your query has more to do with teaching matters.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Sounds interesting would also like to hear more on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I'm sure I read of somebody on boards say that they went through this procedure. Think it might be with SABIS schools? Not sure but I have heard of it too. That a degree is enough and you do your teaching qualification part time. Would love to hear from anyone teaching in UAE without a teaching qualification!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Edvectus

Dear Tazbar
    To teach in a proper international school in the UAE and get ministry approval which is needed for a visa, you need to have a teaching qualification such as a PGCE.

Sabis is the only school I know of that gets away with it because they don't hire 'teachers' they hire 'instructors' who basically deliver the curriculum verbatim. So you are not really planning and developing resources. This is great if you are not qualified, but probably frustrating if you are.

I think Sabis is the only game in town for unqualified teachers if you don't want to be doing visa runs. At least the only one I know of and I've been placing teachers into Middle East for 10 years.

I've seen people come through with University of Sunderland PGCEs - they have a campus in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi. A number of Universities are now getting on the distance learning bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

I have just applied for a teaching position with SABIS. I am the final year of my BA so I don't have a teaching qualification but I do want to do a secondary school post grad at some point. I haven't fully looked into it yet but from what I gather, you can gain your secondary qualification with the University of Sunderland while working with them, not sure how it works but this you tube clip mentions it, so I'm definitely going to be looking into this if I get the job with them,

Teaching Abroad - Sabis , Dubai- this is what the youtube clip is under, won't let me paste the link here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement