Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Way

Options
  • 31-07-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,

I am looking for some information, if you would be so kind. I'm planning to walk to Galway from Dublin at the end of August, following the Grand Canal as far as Banagher, and then branching off, going by way of Loughrea, then either to Athenry, and then Galway City, or straight into Galway skipping Athenry.

My questions are about camping along the Grand Canal.

Is it safe enough to responsibly wild camp along there, or should I look for a supervised camping site, and, does anyone know if there are camping sites in places such as Sallins, Edenderry, Tullamore and Banagher, and places in between in case I get stuck. I am on a budget, so B&Bs are out, I'm afraid.

I have been search engining, and not coming up with much, so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

You'll get a list of many but not all commercial campsites here: http://www.camping-ireland.ie/
    Once you're away from the city and any large towns, the canals are very quiet in my experience. I shouldn't think you'll have any problem with simple overnight camps in appropriate places along the towpaths. Getting water to cook/drink might be an issue as canals tend to run through lowland areas. If you don't filter etc., ask to fill a carrier in a nearby house along the way. The bags you get in 'wine boxes' are good simple lightweight carriers, once you prise the tap unit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Joshea79

Thank you very much, BarryD!

Advertisement