Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind-chime like noise from wheels??

Options
  • 31-07-2014 1:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought there was something wrong with one of the bikes so I was doing some checks with limited knowledge. I noticed when the wheels were rotating a strange noise that was like a wind chime or glass falling.

I broke two tyre levers trying to get the tyre off and gave up. A quick scan says it might be something like wheels being out of true, or debris in the wheel from either a spoke or something else.

Don't notice it when cycling and all was in good order when last check by LBS (well moving bike shop).

Just curious if anyone else has had this before I bring it off for a check and service
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Sounds like some debris inside the rim, maybe machining leftovers or a lost spoke nipple ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers, it's in both I should note. I'll have it checked soon

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the valves.I never ever use the little valve nuts.I had ordered very long valves usually only order 40mm.The valve was rattling off the rim.Took some time to figure it out mind .It sounded like a bird chirping and the faster you go the more noise.

codie wrote: »
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be the valves.I never ever use the little valve nuts.I had ordered very long valves usually only order 40mm.The valve was rattling off the rim.Took some time to figure it out mind .It sounded like a bird chirping and the faster you go the more noise.

Oh I might give that a shot so. I was advised to put tubes in with a longer valve next time I changed them when I got it serviced. Have had no punctures since so left them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Are they mavic wheels by any chance? My front aksium wheel makes the quiet sort of tumbling clinking noise you descibe and apparently it's common in their manufacturing process for debris to end up in there. It's apparently a small piece(s) of metal from a weld point or something. Don't take my word for it, but from searching through discussions on forums about it, it seems to be relatively harmless. If you wanted to get rid of it you might need to remove the rim tape or remove spokes and try to shake it out through the holes.

• Advertisement

They are MOST wildcat wheels. I believe they are in house brand of pinarello. I can't find much about them

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I get a noise not unlike this from my Mavic Cosmics when they are under strain - ie out of the saddle climbing. I thought lose spoke but can't find anything obvious. Started after the Swords Tour when I hit a few pot holes that weren't called by the guys in front

Advertisement