Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I tolerated the shinners before today, now I absolutely hate them
    The Doc wrote:
    is is why I sincerely hope that party never come anywhere near political power in my lifetime.

This isn't a Sinn Fein protest, its being held by Republican Sinn Fein who split off in the 1980's.
    P 1 wrote:
    Irish republicans always seemed to have found grasping the precise definition of
    the word 'republic' a tricky one to master.

Lads you don't represent me,
    you don't represent an awful lot of the people living here, kindly fcuk off

Don't generalise whatever you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

they never were, it was and is the british army and government, the british army will always be an enemy
    Did I miss the war memo? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

no, its a symbol of BA murder and bloodshead upon those britain colonized

they never were, it was and is the british army and government, the british army will always be an enemy

and? they should join their own army

no its not, its a commemoration being hi-jacked by a celebration of empirialism and eleetism

And this is exactly the stuck-in-the-past anti-British sentiment that is putting lives at risk in the North.

The British, their army, their politicians, their Royals, their ordinary people are not the enemy and haven't been for a very long time.

It's time we all moved on, left the hatred in the past where it belongs and drop the needless sneering and cynicism.

Our people have fought and died for Britain and continue to do so. It is Britain be among those commemorating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

So called "republican" Idiots who believe their version of Irish history is the only one and those who disagree will be shouted down of beaten down. For too long their simpletons view has ruled the roost in this Republic. They are a disgrace to the nationalist Irish dead who fought in WW1 and a disgrace to the Fenian dead. And the fe kin Gardai need to wake up and manage protests so these people can be cordoned off and shout their stupidity from a kilometre away.

I honestly think these cretins don't even know what they're protesting for or against. How they could think going along to disrupt a memorial service for Ireland's war dead was a good idea is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

And this is exactly the stuck-in-the-past anti-British sentiment that is putting lives at risk in the North.

The British, their army, their politicians, their Royals, their ordinary people are not the enemy and haven't been for a very long time.

It's time we all moved on, left the hatred in the past where it belongs and drop the needless sneering and cynicism.

Our people have fought and died for Britain and continue to do so. It is Britain be among those commemorating them.

That's the point though...many many of those who died would have been out protesting today if they were here.
    Our involvement is not represented by 'official' Ireland as the very complex thing it was.
    Expect much more of this as we go trough the decade of commemoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

This isn't a commemoration of War, or of the British Army, it's a remembrance of those who died, futile as it might be seen. They were peoples sons, brothers and fathers, and were loved and then missed when they never came home; that's what this is all about, nothing to do with countries or loyalties.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's the point though...many many of those who died would have been out protesting today if they were here.
    Our involvement is not represented by 'official' Ireland as the very complex thing it was.

I'll gladly expect much more recognition and thanks from Britain for our War Dead and what they did for the Empire.

It's been too long in coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

These proud protestors will probably rock up to their local later on and will be shoulder to shoulder singing "Green Fields of France". Which of course is a song commemorating the fallen of WW1.

Oh the irony

Exactly castletownman, it always tickles me when I hear the 'hardcore republicans' down the local start into a few bars of this.

I'm proud of those men from Ireland who served in the war/s. All they gave up and sacrificed is humbling regardless of whose flag they fought under.

Those people at the gates are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

K-9 wrote: »
    A good few soldiers came back and fought for independence, but I suppose nuances are kind of lost on these people.
    Tom Barry, being one that springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

no, its a symbol of BA murder and bloodshead upon those britain colonized

and? they should join their own army

no its not, its a commemoration being hi-jacked by a celebration of empirialism and eleetism
    Did I just wander through a black hole and end up back in the 1970's?

• Advertisement

I'll gladly expect much more recognition and thanks from Britain for our War Dead and what they did for the Empire.

They should always be told how pointless and misguided it was though, we should never, ever partake in glorifying (something the British still do) anything that happened. That is how we can contribute, because that is what the reality was for many Irish men and women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

blueser wrote: »
    Did I just wander through a black hole and end up back in the 1970's?
    So it would appear. Alas it seems even now there are people still being brought up on a steady diet of anti-British soundbites - you'd think that the sound of the firing squad that shot th1916 rebels had only just faded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Strazdas wrote: »
    To remove the British aspect from the commemoration would be a bit odd : they were in the British army and officially fighting for the British Empire.

I thought they were fighting for Home Rule based on what Redmond told them to do.

Why would anyone fight for the British Empire, which consisted of invading a country, murdereing and enslaving the native people and taking all the natural resources that that particular country had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Why would anyone fight for the British Empire,

3 square meals & a wage.

The same reason why so many signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did I miss the war memo? :confused:

Yes , we've all been called up , your conscription papers are in the post.

They should always be told how pointless and misguided it was though, we should never, ever partake in glorifying (something the British still do) anything that happened. That is how we can contribute, because that is what the reality was for many Irish men and women.

Nonesense!
    How do 'British' Glorify this?
    How do you feel about the Irish soldiers of WW1 who volunteered because of loyalty? (Just curious)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought they were fighting for Home Rule based on what Redmond told them to do.

Why would anyone fight for the British Empire, which consisted of invading a country, murdereing and enslaving the native people and taking all the natural resources that that particular country had.

some people in this country were happy to live in the empire and fight for it

And build it...

Oh absolutely I agree with all of that. I just don't see how a somber occasion like this commemorating sacrifice and suffering and death is glorifying anything.

We must remember the past and learn from it. We must not, as a certain elderly British lady said during her visit here, be bound by it.

Sadly too many of us just can't or won't let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

What an absolute disgrace and another shameful event in a long list of Republican history. The complete lack of respect for Irish and Ulstermen who died in the great war is rather shocking from these lunatics.

They should have been getting a batton around the head and told to go home. At least we will remember the fallen in peace and not disturbed by the ISIS of the West.

RIP to all who fell in the great war.

You do realise that the vast majority of Irisn men who went to war, my great grandfather included, chose to go. Britain didn't force them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And a lot of them including my grandfather wanted to be free from British rule.

And a lot of them including my grandfather wanted to be free from British rule.
    But plenty didn't and a fair number who did want to 'escape' still moved to the UK for a number of reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

How many are 'plenty'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the british army will always be, and always has been an enemy

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

To some....

Not all thankfully.

so your an empirialist, a supporter of empirialism and eleetism

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

You read very biased history books. Not the ones which show how Irish people helped build the Empire and many Irish and Ulstermen are still joining the British Army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wow just .... wow

Im all for the hating english when it comes to sport etc but they English army in its current form are not my enemy nor the enemy of any other citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

I don't think someone so filled with needless hatred and stuck in the past will ever listen to reason so I'm not going to waste any more time and energy.

I'll simply say that today's British army have about as much connection to the occupation as the current IRA have to that of Michael Collins.

• Advertisement

Not even close.

Nice try though.

Madam wrote: »
    How many are 'plenty'?
    My Grandfather for one! Even he saw the irony especially when he was building runways and stuff during WW2...
    The other Grandfather joined the Army at 15 and served towards the end of WW1 and served in the RAF in WW2 he never got over Ireland going solo.
    To me this highlights the complex set of circumstances during this period of Anglo Irish history.
    It can't simply be said that Irish men volunteered for Army service just for food / for home rule / under duress as some people on here seem to suggest.

Mosby61 wrote: »
    the ISIS of the West.

i laughed at that statement, you probably don't know what isis is and what they do

Mosby61 wrote: »
    You read very biased history books. Not the ones which show how Irish people helped build the Empire and many Irish and Ulstermen are still joining the British Army.
    yes, unfortunately they still are, still, they can be britains problem now not ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

yes, unfortunately they still are, still, they can be britains problem now not ours

Good god you are disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What? :confused:

''Imperialist'', ''imperialism and ''elitism''.

I don't think someone so filled with needless hatred and stuck in the past will ever listen to reasons.
    What scares me is that young and impressionable people will be taken in by the guff people of that misguided and conceited opinion and thus the evil legacy will be passed on like some warped secret oral history so that years down the line small minded youths in ill fitting / unlaundered sports apparel will hurl abuse at events like this in the future.
    it will not end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

To anyone who took part in or supported this "protest": you're garbage. you're cowardly scum and should die roaring.

blueser wrote: »
    ''Imperialist'', ''imperialism and ''elitism''.

Can I add 'you're' to that list?

• Advertisement

Can I add 'you're' to that list?
    And an upper case 'S' at the beginning of a sentence?

Nonesense!
    How do 'British' Glorify this?

:D:D Oh please! Don't you remember the howls of protest and derision in Britain when Cameron said he wanted to 'celebrate' WW1 similar to the Queens Jubilee?
    How he wrote the following
    After what you have seen no-one would blame you for asking why. No one would criticise you for feeling angy... But be in no doubt: however dark this time of war - our world would have been far darker if you had declined the call to act ...From your toil and sacrifice there will be a better world ... Your bravery will never be forgotten. Your name - and the names of your fellow servicemen - will be celebrated on memorials ... across the land. But now, as a result of "your bravery and selfless determination" we "enjoy a peace in Europe".
    and blithely ignored The Spanish Civil War, WW2 and the Holocaust, Northern Ireland, the countless wars across the globe many of which Britain waded into, riding shotgun for her ally America, and how he himself weas stopped from bombing Syria by his own parliament? The world has been perpetually at war in the 100 years since.
    The British engage in the 'glory' of combat to keep their armed forces numbers up, because they have to.
    How do you feel about the Irish soldiers of WW1 who volunteered because of loyalty? (Just curious)

Foolishly misguided and sadly, pointless cannon fodder. It was a monumental waste of life and I am only half way through the histories I want to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well that escalated quickly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enniskillen Remembrance Day.

Perhaps a few neanderthal early school leavers shouting is evolution towards something passing for human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

My Grandfather for one! Even he saw the irony especially when he was building runways and stuff during WW2...
    The other Grandfather joined the Army at 15 and served towards the end of WW1 and served in the RAF in WW2 he never got over Ireland going solo.
    To me this highlights the complex set of circumstances during this period of Anglo Irish history.
    It can't simply be said that Irish men volunteered for Army service just for food / for home rule / under duress as some people on here seem to suggest.

So, if it wasn't for money what for? None of my grandfathers or great uncles joined the British army(one side true blue unionists). Remember poverty was rife in Ireland at the time - most joined up to feed their families and no other reason . For the life of me I don't understand why we need to commemorate a war that happened 100 years ago never mind a wee Island at the edge of Europe beating it's chest and informing anyone they want to ingratiate themselves to and say 'we were there' Monty Python like.

:D:D Oh please! Don't you remember the howls of protest and derision in Britain when Cameron said he wanted to 'celebrate' WW1 similar to the Queens Jubilee?
    How he wrote the following
    and blithely ignored The Spanish Civil War, WW2 and the Holocaust, Northern Ireland, the countless wars across the globe many of which Britain waded into, riding shotgun for her ally America, and how he himself weas stopped from bombing Syria by his own parliament? The world has been perpetually at war in the 100 years since.
    The British engage in the 'glory' of combat to keep their armed forces numbers up, because they have to.

Foolishly misguided and sadly, pointless cannon fodder. It was a monumental waste of life and I am only half way through the histories I want to read.

Dave Cameron isn't Britain. And the point there is that the reaction to that remark confirms that The British don't glorify war.
    And there you go wheeling out the same old BS about the UK being a warmonger / lap dog of the US...
    I blame the internet...did you sit in the back of the class during History?

Your last bit speaks volumes about the low opinion of your forebares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

K-9 wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly.

It really got out of hand.

i laughed at that statement, you probably don't know what isis is and what they do
    Difference is ISIS have weapons and thankfully these lunatics don't. Otherwise people would be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

What literature do you get your ideals from?

• Advertisement

Madam wrote: »
    So, if it wasn't for money what for? None of my grandfathers or great uncles joined the British army(one side true blue unionists). Remember poverty was rife in Ireland at the time - most joined up to feed their families and no other reason . For the life of me I don't understand why we need to commemorate a war that happened 100 years ago never mind a wee Island at the edge of Europe beating it's chest and informing anyone they want to ingratiate themselves to and say 'we were there' Monty Python like.

Poverty was rife everywhere in all parts of The UK not just Ireland.
    WW1 probably had more impact on other parts of the UK mainly due to conscription and Kitcheners Army / Pals Battalions.
    WW1 also was a watershed for many other things not least everyday life. Women's rights for one thing.
    It was a massive event and the repercussions were huge.

Advertisement