Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do teachers do when schools are off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Primary teachers work 183 days in the year? Second level 167? There's a whole lot of preparation going on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't get the teacher hating, It's a crappy job that is underpaid. More power to them. I wouldn't be stepping up to do it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't get the teacher hating, It's a crappy job that is underpaid. More power to them. I wouldn't be stepping up to do it.

That's probably because you have a great job that is overpaid. :D

That's probably because you have a great job that is overpaid. :D

This may or may not be true, although my bank did call me recently to ask if I would open another account as my normal one was full. :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What do school teachers do when schools are off? And why do they get paid the full wage if they're not working?

What's your opinion, OP? I notice you've said nothing at all since starting this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What is so crappy about teaching, are you referring to secondary school teachers?

What is so crappy about teaching, are you referring to secondary school teachers?

Anything to do with children or teenagers. Managing them on a daily basis would be crappy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Anything to do with children or teenagers. Managing them on a daily basis would be crappy to me.

Crappier that http://www.thameswater.co.uk/help-and-advice/13911.htm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

it's an amazement that half of the keyboard warriors on here aren't teachers considering they think its such a cushy job. :rolleyes:

complain all you want, but I've more respect for someone who has actually worked the job, and can pin point the issues rather than the same boring people going on about something they have never worked as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I worked really hard in college to qualify as a teacher and the dip year is intensive. a job is only crappy if you hate it. I love teaching, its tough, working to deadlines, correcting and parents :rolleyes: but being in the classroom is where I want to be. I know its after hours but calling it a crappy job is offensive. not everyone can teach.

oh and Im not permanent so these paid holidays don't exist in my world right now. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ahh yes another teaching bashing thread. This one was overdue :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

An File wrote: »
    What's your opinion, OP? I notice you've said nothing at all since starting this thread.

Ah who cares it's just the quarterly teacher bashing thread. Lets just get back to the insults....

carry on class:pac::pac::pac::pac:

I worked really hard in college to qualify as a teacher and the dip year is intensive. a job is only crappy if you hate it. I love teaching, its tough, working to deadlines, correcting and parents :rolleyes: but being in the classroom is where I want to be. I know its after hours but calling it a crappy job is offensive. not everyone can teach.

oh and Im not permanent so these paid holidays don't exist in my world right now. :rolleyes:

Whether or not you find it offensive is irrelevant to me.

I'd hope you don't throw your eyes up to heaven as much when you are in class. Not a good thing to be teaching.

Let me clarify for you.
    In my opinion, it's a crappy job for me. Just like tonnes of other jobs that would be crappy for me. I'm not saying it's unimportant, far from it. I would just hate to do it.

Just because I don't want to be a member of AGS or the ambulance service, another crappy jobs imo, doesn't mean it's not the perfect job for someone else I.E someone who doesn't think it's crappy and would like to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

If my teacher friends are anything to go by, they drink wine every day and get fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You'd think the summer holidays were expressly dreamt up as a doss break to benefit teachers rather being the summer holidays for the schools in which they teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

People moaning about teachers should have spent more time listening to their teachers, and then they might have a better job and perhaps not feel so much envy toward teachers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The Rabbit wrote: »
    If my teacher friends are anything to go by, they drink wine every day and get fat.

I want to hear more about this.

catallus wrote: »
    I want to hear more about this.

I don't really know what to tell you.

They basically become alcoholic for the summer, drink bottles and bottles of wine (what seems like) constantly and become lazy, sofa bound recluses gorging on take-aways and who'll only venture outside if it's to a pub.

Fair play to them if that's what they want to do but seriously, it seems like such a huge waste of three months off.

Christ.

I'd kill for a job like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

i look at it very much like that, you take the momentum of the school into the summer,

The Rabbit wrote: »
    I don't really know what to tell you.

They basically become alcoholic for the summer, drink bottles and bottles of wine (what seems like) constantly and become lazy, sofa bound recluses gorging on take-aways and who'll only venture outside if it's to a pub.

Fair play to them if that's what they want to do but seriously, it seems like such a huge waste of three months off.

a lot of people do that every weekend anyway and theyre not teachers... maybe they should work weekends too!

Armelodie wrote: »
    a lot of people do that every weekend anyway and theyre not teachers... maybe they should work weekends too!

That's true, I was just answering a question, not criticising what people want to do with themselves.

Seeing them piss and eat away a three month holiday just seems like a shame and a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Search for a permanent position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ the jealousy

Bring the stress levels down and get ready for the next year.. Teaching for an hour is an awful lot more work than an office job. Preparation and correction adds to it and then there's the fact that you're actually working non stop.. Like I'm gonna have tests to correct this year that will take up my evenings for a week, once a month. When I worked in an office, I'd be chatting, hopping on boards, going to the photocopier, sitting in meetings and generally not getting stressed. Clients are predictable, parents just look for a scapegoat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

I personally think they need that time off, dont know how they can handle a class of 20+ students especially secondary schools. Wouldnt do it for all the tea in china.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

NIMAN wrote: »

If teaching is a stroll in the park, why didn't everyone apply for it when heading off to university? So you made the wrong choice and are stuck in a job you don't like? Get over it.

Because i wanted to do something challenging. And i like my current job. 20 days holidays a year only but at least i amnt teaching the same syllabus for the next 35 years. Now that would be sh1te ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Peist2007 wrote: »
    but at least i amnt teaching the same syllabus for the next 35 years.

You wouldn't be able to, by the sounds of it.

anncoates wrote: »
    You wouldn't be able to, by the sounds of it.

Is teaching regarded as more complex than law these days? I never check these things. Hope you get the thanks your post was looking for.

Ps my dad and my 2 sisters are teachers. My dad is 57 and bored out of his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Forget teaching, lecturing is where it's at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭username2013

She won best dressed looking like that!!! :eek: Looks like a curtain tied round her waist to me. And don't get me started on her orange hue.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Is teaching regarded as more complex than law these days? I never check these things. Hope you get the thanks your post was looking for.

Ps my dad and my 2 sisters are teachers. My dad is 57 and bored out of his mind.

Is an apple different to an orange...

btw you don't teach the syllabus you teach the students... they change every day.

Armelodie wrote: »

btw you don't teach the syllabus you teach the students... they change every day.

You teach the syllabus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

grinds

A part time barman in my local is a teacher by day, greedy bastard

Fair dues to anyone who goes out and gets extra work to improve their living standards. An example for the lazy ***** on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Bring the stress levels down and get ready for the next year.. Teaching for an hour is an awful lot more work than an office job. Preparation and correction adds to it and then there's the fact that you're actually working non stop.. Like I'm gonna have tests to correct this year that will take up my evenings for a week, once a month. When I worked in an office, I'd be chatting, hopping on boards, going to the photocopier, sitting in meetings and generally not getting stressed. Clients are predictable, parents just look for a scapegoat.

Some office jobs are easy, some teaching roles are easy but I don't think you can compare one office job to teaching. I work in an office, give presentations to large numbers of people and can work anywhere from 9-6 to 8-9 with lunch the desk, tight deadlines and people giving out. Other days i don't have much to do, depending on lifecycle of a project. This can be very stressful when timelines are tight and EVERYTHING IS URGENT.

It depends on how stressed a person gets aswell. Some do well under pressure and others don't. I have thought teenagers (Maths) and in my view its not that hard. The prep is easy and once you are organised it does not take much time to organise the school year. Max a week for all classes. My friends who are teachers do most of their correcting on front of the tv, which they admit, adds hours to the job.

As for clients being predictable, I don't know where you worked but no. Clients needs wants change all the time, depending on budget. Criteria is always changing on project. I have been on sites and the client isn't sure what hey want and have to be directed as it is a new manager there or someone who has never led a project.

I am not saying that all jobs are tough or that being a teacher is easy, that many kids would piss anyone off at times. It's also true if one wants the job take it, but I do feel the teachers unions and in the majority of cases teachers play he overworked card too much and give out too much about taxes etc. when they can earn a decent salary outside of the tax system aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I know one gal who works as a CIA assassin in Central America during the Summer. You should see her in action in her Cuban stillettos - when she's not looping a .223 slug into some Dogdy Hernandez's earhole from 500 yards she's breaking their necks with her thighs. An' that'll furkan learn 'em. :cool:

It is of course entirely possible that I dreamt the whole thing, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

RWCNT wrote: »
    Better question - Why don't all these people who are bitter at teachers just become teachers if it's such an easy gig?

why doesn't everyone who thinks putin is wrong just emigrate to Russia and start a ground roots campaign to get him voted out?

i really hate whataboutery

Grayson wrote: »
    i really hate whataboutery

Whatabout the teachers who support Putin?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

What do school teachers do when schools are off?

Get prepared for their next maternity leave

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

What do school teachers do when schools are off? And why do they get paid the full wage if they're not working?

My wife is a teacher and she does **** all for the summer. And you ask "why do they get the full wage if they're not working?" Well it's beyond me why they get paid the full wage when they are working because they do very little ( a full week is a total of 22 hours long)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Cormac... wrote: »
    Get prepared for their next maternity leave

Have you read the threads on what time of year to conceive in order to maximise maternity leave under the new rules

I lol'd

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

huey1975 wrote: »
    My wife is a teacher and she does **** all for the summer. And you ask "why do they get the full wage if they're not working?" Well it's beyond me why they get paid the full wage when they are working because they do very little ( a full week is a total of 22 hours long)
    I suggest you show her this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Teachers do nothing over the summer holidays so they should be paid nothing. A 20% pay cut would be a good start.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Teachers do nothing over the summer holidays so they should be paid nothing. A 20% pay cut would be a good start.

They're not paid for the summer holidays. They're paid for the year.
    Nimr wrote: »
    You could pay their annual salary over 9 months and leave them struggling to make ends meet for 3 months or you could pay them over 12 months.

At the end of the year, they still get paid the same amount so I don't get what all the fuss is about.

It makes my blood boil!

All I see are teachers slacking around in their ferraris and yachts, laughing at the rest of us slobs.

I'm so mad, all I can do is dance :mad:

Nimr wrote: »
    They're not paid for the summer holidays. They're paid for the year.

Exactly. Hence why a 20% pay cut would be a good start. Eventually moving down to a 25% cut.

That way teachers would still be earning the same per month worked but they wouldn't be earning anything over the summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

What an unsubstantiated and complete bell end of a statement to make .

Never mind the fact that we've already worked the school year and are getting our wages paid (late) as a fortnightly salary and in so doing actually SAVING the government money

We've already had a 24% pay cut since 2008.

Another €1600 was taken away this year, representing 3% of pay for me.
    This was payment for being on call to cover classes if colleagues were ill or bringing students to matches or class trips as well as doing yard duty DURING tea break and lunch break and now we have to do all that EXTRA work for nothing.

But sure keep cutting and slashing and burning teachers wages and in a couple of generations time, when conditions are so poor and the pay is complete peanuts, don't be complaining when you're kids are being taught by monkeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

tvnutz wrote: »
    . The few that don't care might,on the other hand the ones that run several teams, or free after school lessons or anything else extra are in there until 6pm most days.

the reason you do that is because you are a person who cares not because you are a teacher. don't confuse the two. many hundreds of people volunteer to run sports teams, guides, social clubs for children or young teen after they have completed a day's work (usually until 5 or 6pm), grab quick tea/dinner and head out to the activities.

What an unsubstantiated and complete bell end of a statement to make .

Never mind the fact that we've already worked the school year and are getting our wages paid (late) as a fortnightly salary and in so doing actually SAVING the government money

We've already had a 24% pay cut since 2008.

Another €1600 was taken away this year, representing 3% of pay for me.
    This was payment for being on call to cover classes if colleagues were ill or bringing students to matches or class trips as well as doing yard duty DURING tea break and lunch break and now we have to do all that EXTRA work for nothing.

But sure keep cutting and slashing and burning teachers wages and in a couple of generations time, when conditions are so poor and the pay is complete peanuts, don't be complaining when you're kids are being taught by monkeys
    You're saying the wages are peanuts but quite frankly the wages are very generous compared to jobs of equivalent skill/education level in the private sector and that's before you take into consideration teachers only work 75% of the year.

Frankly though I'd rather keep wages at the same level and cut summer holidays down to one month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'm not dying the ages are peanuts? At the moment.
    If your ideas and policies were implemented, that's they way it would go, just like the in the uk where 1 in 3 teachers has left the profession within 3-5 years

8 weeks more work for the same pay?

23.8% more working days and nothing for it?

That's just completely unreasonable

Advertisement