Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can I (the west)

Options
  • 31-07-2014 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I've 4 salmon sliced right down the middle so 8 sides. They've been I'm my freezer for few weeks and I'm wanting to know is there anyone in mayo who smokes salmon, maybe a fish shop and could smoke these for me. I've done a Google search but came up with nothing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I know there's someone smoking salmon out in Connemara however I've no details.

Maybe call Freeney's fishing shop in Galway. They're sound guys and may be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Connemara Fisheries , google them , they are based in Cornamona, they usually will smoke them.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Tiernan Brothers in Foxford or Clarkes in Ballina will smoke them.

I prefer Tiernan Brothers, better finish in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

How much is it to smoke the fish. Is it per fish or per smoke time. How long is it to even smoke the fish, does it take a day or few days and whats involved. Do they just smoke it or add the salt,brine as suggested by a friend. I know nothing about smoking other than it tastes lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Why not buy a smoker op ? You will get a bradley smoker cheaper than what some companys will charge you ;)

• Advertisement

Snowc wrote: »
    Why not buy a smoker op ? You will get a bradley smoker cheaper than what some companys will charge you ;)

Bradley smoker £350 and £470, im sure it isnt that much to smoke some salmon

What do you mean better finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Salmon normally cost anything from 25€ each, but you can normally strike a deal for a few salmon filleted. It takes about 2 days depending on how busy they are.

Each smokery have their own method, for example amount of salt added, temperature of ovens, length of exposure, etc. it's all about trial and error I'm afraid as certain smokers I personally would not use. If you are going doing it a lot I would suggest building or buying your own especially if you live out the country. I am a big fan of cold smoking!

Each smokery have their own method, for example amount of salt added, temperature of ovens, length of exposure, etc. it's all about trial and error I'm afraid as certain smokers I personally would not use. If you are going doing it a lot I would suggest building or buying your own especially if you live out the country. I am a big fan of cold smoking!

How do you do your cold smoking. How do you keep temputures at 20 degrees inside smoke for a full day.

You say 25 euro!! Is that with a free salmon throw in? Lol

• Advertisement

I wish it was 25€ with salmon included haha! Possible if it was farmed salmon you were looking for. Cold smoking starts off as hot smoke until you install ducting to cool the smoke over a few meters which fills into a compartment where your produce is kept hanging.

Someone gave my friend an oak barrel and he's been saying he's thinking of making a cold smoker out of it after I was telling him about wanting smoke my own salmon. Hopefully he doesn't make a balls out of it and save me 25euro per fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Advertisement